Supernatural Beings... how do they work? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2004, 09:50 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:46 PM
Supernatural Beings... how do they work?

Angels, demons, good, evil, God, Satan, Heaven, Hell... how do they work?

Comment any question(s) you want, I think we'd have some interesting discussions.

1. Does God test us?
2. Do supernatural forces allow tragedies to happen?
3. Do supernatural forces speak through us?
4. Is anyone still demon-possessed?
5. Does predestination exist?
6. Do we control our own thoughts?
7. Is good and evil hereditary?
8. How do miracles work in modern society?
9. Is it wrong to be angry?
10. How does prayer work?

Old 12-23-2004, 11:46 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:46 AM
I think those are way too many questions for one thread.

However, they do work in some realm that we will only understand after our dying day.

Old 12-23-2004, 11:57 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

How could you! You forgot cats! Everyone knows cats are supernatural beings. And how do they work? They are cute, and they purr, and you get sucked in and soon they have you wrapped around their little cat paws.

Actually, I'm too tired to write anything on this now...will give it some thought though.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:10 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:46 AM
NM
Old 12-24-2004, 06:41 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Whoa, you're asking a lot of deep questions here.

Here's my take on some of them:

Quote:
Depends. Sometimes it can be people's responsibility for themselves, and even responsibility for each other that determines whether or not tragedies would occur. God's not going to do the work for us. We're not God's puppets, waiting for Him to pull our strings.

Quote:
Not unless you have good reasons to be, and you're handling it rationally. Meaning, you're not taking it out on the wrong people or letting your anger control your life. As long as you're channeling your anger into something productive, then there's nothing wrong with anger.
Old 12-24-2004, 07:27 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:46 PM
Truthfully if saw any evil ones i'd take the piss right out of them, i actually lobbed bricks at a banshee once when i was 10 no fear, no worries, it vanishes, weird stuff indeed although it feels like Halloween now..........
Old 12-24-2004, 08:59 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:46 AM
What do you mean by supernatural forces? Is it the full collection of entities listed? Each one individually?
Old 12-24-2004, 09:45 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Good questions. These are just my immediate answers. I'm not an expert by any means.
1. Yes, but it's to build our faith in him and our relationship with him
2. God allows tragedies to happen because of free will, but he can use them for his greater good if we let him. Just look at the death of his own son.
3. I think God can use others to get across something. He did that with the writers of the books of the Bible. I would argue he's doing it with Bono and many others out there. He can use everyone of us — even you reading this!
4. I would say it's possible still.
5.This one needs its own thread.
6.Not always, but we should strive to do what we can to control our thoughts and keep them pure and positive.
7. This is kind of a trick question. We're all capable of good and evil. Evil isn't just flying a plane into a building to kill hundreds of innocent people. Good and evil start in the heart.
8. My wife gave birth to our second son Dec. 18. As with our first son and all other children (including us) it was nothing short of miraculous. Miracles aren't always huge things, although those still happen too. A miracle is simply a sighting of God's continuous work.
9. I'm assuming you mean angry with God? God welcomes our angry feelings toward him. I've been angry with him many times, but it's usually been for selfish reasons and then my faith has grown as a result of everything. Anger toward God is still open-heart dialogue with God, which is the most important thing.
10. All I can really say is how does me talking to you work? Prayer is just conversation with God, but with your heart, not necessarily your words. You can listen to God too. Bono once said "All God wants is a willing heart and for us to call out to him." Beautiful, isn't it?
11. (for indra) Cats are one of the most mysterious creatures in the known universe. Yeah, I've got nothin.
12. Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 12-24-2004, 11:31 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 10:46 AM
Re: Supernatural Beings... how do they work?

1. Does God test us? Yes.
2. Do supernatural forces allow tragedies to happen? I dunno. When some of the bad things that happen in this world happen, such as murder, war, rape, etc., etc., I feel those who commit those crimes should take responsibilty for their own wrongdoings. But then again, there's situations like tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, etc, that humans have no control over. I think that's one of those test situations-how can us humans deal with something this big?
3. Do supernatural forces speak through us?I dunno, it's possible.
4. Is anyone still demon-possessed? I don't believe in demons a la the devil or anything like that, so if that's what this is referring to, I'd say no.
5. Does predestination exist? I think in some ways, yeah, it does. I believe this world is a mix of fate and choice.
6. Do we control our own thoughts? No, I don't think we can-if we could, we'd never have thoughts about hurting others or things along that line, we'd choose to just have happy thoughts 24/7. But that's not the case. I believe actions can be chosen, I don't believe thoughts and feelings can.
7. Is good and evil hereditary? No, namely because there are people who come from violent homes who turn out wonderfully, and do positive things in this world, and there's people who come from pretty good homes and turn out to act like jerks.
8. How do miracles work in modern society? Not sure how to answer this one.
9. Is it wrong to be angry? Ditto what Pearl said in regards to this one. And if you're talking about being angry with God, no, I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, either-to me, it shows you're questioning things, you're not blindly accepting everything that happens around you.
10. How does prayer work? I can agree with coemgen's response to this one.

Angela
Old 12-25-2004, 06:09 AM   #10
you are what you is

Local Time: 05:46 PM
I heard someone describe prayer as being a conversation with yourself with god as the only bystander (well this is a bad translation of what he said, but I thought it was quite good)
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 12-26-2004, 12:02 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
What do you mean by supernatural forces? Is it the full collection of entities listed? Each one individually?
Basically the existence of good and evil, and how they work. Such as, why do good/bad things happen to us, and what does it mean? Are we being tested? Can we control our thoughts, or are they being taken over somehow?
Old 12-26-2004, 05:05 AM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:46 AM
Good and evil exist in the heart of every human being, they do not need to be brough in by some unseen means.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:47 AM   #13
Acrobat

WOW!

What questions.

Ok let's see

1. No, I think?. I mean in terms of temptation a great passage for reference would be James 1 13-14. 13When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; 14but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed.
It makes sense if you look at it like that. In terms of testing our faith though, no again. I just don't see God having the need to test our faith or test our relationship with Him.

2. Do you mean does God allow things to happen? Yes I think He does. But that is to do with His will and His plan, whatever they may be. As far as angels allowing things or not or furthermore demons, I really don't know. I have heard some crazy things from people I know in regards to angels and demons, so I am really at a loss as to how to answer this.

3. Well, God can speak through us. This happens in a lot of ways. Angels do not speak through us. Demons, yes, if someone is possessed then yeh, I would safely say that a supernatural force is speaking through someone.

4. Yes. I have quite a few first hand experiences with this and even if I didn't, I would still say yes, because I do not see any reason why it would cease to be occurring any differently than it did when we read accounts of it in the Bible.

5. Well, I mean there is predestination versus election etc. Our names were written in the Book before the foundations of the world yes, but we still have the choice to choose God. Do I understand this? No not at all. There are several references to being choosen and predestined in Scripture. So election and predestination are Biblical, I am just not sure about man's take on them. It is something that I do think about, and really need to read more on to understand wholly (if that is possible!).

6. Yes we do. We choose what we focus on. We can focus on God and His word and our relationship with Him or we can focus on the world. So yes.

7. Yes. Everyone is genetically predisposed to having an inate knowledge of good and evil, right and wrong. It is in our bloodline from Adam and Eve and their fall as a result of eatting from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. From that point on the knowledge has been there within us.

8. I don't know.

9. No it is wrong to be a hot-head though. The Bible says be slow to anger, not to never ever get angry.

10. Only thing I know is it strengthens your relationship with God, everything else after that I really don't know. I have heard sermons and read books and I am still no closer to understanding prayer in any other way than I do.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:12 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:46 AM
1. Does God test us?

Yes. See Abraham and Isaac. God does not tempt us to sin, but may put us through situations that test our faith (resulting in stronger faith).

I’ll restrict the idea of supernatural forces to God. Everything else falls under God.

God is sovereign. He may allow tragedies to happen for reasons we do not understand.

3. Do supernatural forces speak through us?

I would say no to speaking through us in a literal sense. But God does use us to communicate His message. There are people with the gift of prophecy in the sense that prophecy means “speaking forth” God’s Word. God does not use future tellers as He did in OT times.

4. Is anyone still demon-possessed?

A true believer, one indwelled by the Holy Spirit, cannot be demon-possessed. Otherwise, there is clear Biblical support for Satan’s minions to possess people. I doubt it happens often.

5. Does predestination exist?

Far too complex of an issue to be answered in a string of questions. It also requires that you define “predestination”

6. Do we control our own thoughts?

Yes, unless you believe in aliens.

7. Is good and evil hereditary?

We all have a sin nature for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. Call it hereditary if you want.

8. How do miracles work in modern society?

They happen in ways most do not notice.

No. Read the Psalms for examples of David expressing his anger.

10. How does prayer work?

For true believers, God hears all our prayers the moment they are prayed. Ultimately, the result of prayer is that we change, not God. We further align our thinking, our attitude, our life with God’s will for us.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:42 AM   #15
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

I've seen some good answers here, but I do want to put in my two cents about anger. I've found myself becoming angry more easily lately, and while I don't know that I haven't had good reason to be angry, I don't think it's necessarily healthy to walk around angry.

I've been trying to think my feelings through a bit more lately and try to look at things from a different angle, especially putting myself in the shoes of the person with whom I'm angry. This doesn't always work , but I'm getting better.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that anger, if dealt with constructively and nonviolently, is not morally wrong (necessarily), but I think it can be unhealthy (sometimes).

Join Amnesty.