Superiority complexes and internet forums in general

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallycinnamon78

New Yorker
This is a long one I'm afraid, and what's worse, I am on my soapbox.

Disclaimer / arsesaver: This is not aimed at any specific person, and I'm not just talking about here, but in most internet forums I've seen. I just want to find out what anti-newbie nonsense is about, because I cannot comprehend it.

I write in defence of newbies. The articulate, smart ones who get shouted down just because they are new, as I once was. I felt bullied, despite the minor detail that I was talking more sense than some of the longer-term members at the time. Having been here for over 2 years now, hopefully I can say this and actually be listened to by at least 1 person. :wink:

I often see comments from people who've been forum members for ages, being derogatory towards the newer members, thinking that their opinion takes precedence over newer members' opinions. I know it's a big joke amongst some, but it isn't amusing for the poor sod who is trying to get their point across.

What makes a person think that the newer people are not worthy? It's like a 30 year old telling a 28 year old, "Oh, sorry mate, seeing as you were born 2 years after me, your comments are irrelevant." Some such comments are sheer rudeness. Others are because people suspect the 'joiner' has joined just to troll or post unpopular opinions/propaganda for the sake of it. I think it's largely because a lot of the people who post duplicate threads - the 'spammers', 'trolls' etc are often newbies. This can be for different reasons - either FMs have just signed up to irritate others, or perhaps they just haven't got to grips with the SPEED of the forum and that there may be similar threads which have jumped off the first page for a few minutes. We just need to teach them about the 'search' function, not whack 'em round the head. Obviously that doesn't account for all of the intake.

What does it matter if you've been here 6 months or several years? If you'd joined here yesterday, what significant influence would that have over your ability to express yourself? I didn't realise a message board had such a fascinating social hierarchy... personally, if I want to know if someone's a troublemaker, I take a quick look at some of their previous posts and I think it gives a much better idea of what they're like than drawing conclusions from a joining date.

I think post numbers and joining dates often get in the way of meaningful discourse. I dont think it matters when you join, just what you have to contribute to that forum. Isn't that what really matters?

Thankyou very much and goodnight. :D
sallycinnamon78 x

Last edited:
I agree with everything you've said. It just seems like common sense and plain decent courtesy if you ask me. Now if only people in real life would bear all of what you've said in mind too!

Thank you very much. :) It is something I meant to say a long, long time ago, but real life got in the way. I was expecting to be chased out with a big stick, like a newbie. :D

I remember my first long post on Interference when I was flamed and how quickly you came to my defense. I was immensely grateful.

I guess some people just want to recreate high school on a daily basis.

I don't care how long anyone has been at a forum, I care what they have to say and how they act. And those two things certainly have nothing to do with how many posts someone has.

I agree with you too. I think sometimes people forget that there is a face behind the text, and that that person has feelings. Some people can really be jerks about it too. I thought bullying ended after high school, but clearly that isn't the case. The internet is a neat new way to communicate with people all over the place and to exchange ideas. There's so much more to talk about, why waste the opportunity on bullying?

:D Caroni, you may have been here the longest, but you've got the least posts out of all of us in this thread... QUICK EVERYONE! Let's jump on her head and call her that horrible cursed name... 'honorary newbie'!

:D :wink: :D

Last edited:
:up:

I don't get the picking on people in general for absolutely no reason. Especially from those people who enjoy getting a sly dig in every now and then or have to comment on something that has nothing to do with them but just have to make themselves heard (generally nobody is interested anyway).

It's even more sad when you have adults who don't seem to have anything more interesting to do in their lives than skulk around forums looking for someone to pick on or a chance to get a remark in.

Caroni said:
^Call it lack of internet in my house :sad:

I´m a honorary newbie and I´m proud of it!:wink:

Me has parecido muy maja. :hug:

Español :drool:

sallycinnamon78 said:
All I remember of my Español is 'limpiar la casa'... or something similar!

Spreek jij geen Nederlands?

Da's héél goed!

Ja zeker, ik heb de(?) Nederlandse taal gestudeerd.

Excuse my Dutch! I've barely used it since graduating in 2003. :(

sallycinnamon78 said:
Ja zeker, ik heb de(?) Nederlandse taal gestudeerd.

Excuse my Dutch! I've barely used it since graduating in 2003. :(

I barely use my French and I have ten weeks of studying left until I graduate

:uhoh:

sallycinnamon78 said:
This is a long one I'm afraid, and what's worse, I am on my soapbox.

Disclaimer / arsesaver: This is not aimed at any specific person, and I'm not just talking about here, but in most internet forums I've seen. I just want to find out what anti-newbie nonsense is about, because I cannot comprehend it.

I write in defence of newbies. The articulate, smart ones who get shouted down just because they are new, as I once was. I felt bullied, despite the minor detail that I was talking more sense than some of the longer-term members at the time. Having been here for over 2 years now, hopefully I can say this and actually be listened to by at least 1 person. :wink:

I often see comments from people who've been forum members for ages, being derogatory towards the newer members, thinking that their opinion takes precedence over newer members' opinions. I know it's a big joke amongst some, but it isn't amusing for the poor sod who is trying to get their point across.

What makes a person think that the newer people are not worthy? It's like a 30 year old telling a 28 year old, "Oh, sorry mate, seeing as you were born 2 years after me, your comments are irrelevant." Some such comments are sheer rudeness. Others are because people suspect the 'joiner' has joined just to troll or post unpopular opinions/propaganda for the sake of it. I think it's largely because a lot of the people who post duplicate threads - the 'spammers', 'trolls' etc are often newbies. This can be for different reasons - either FMs have just signed up to irritate others, or perhaps they just haven't got to grips with the SPEED of the forum and that there may be similar threads which have jumped off the first page for a few minutes. We just need to teach them about the 'search' function, not whack 'em round the head. Obviously that doesn't account for all of the intake.

What does it matter if you've been here 6 months or several years? If you'd joined here yesterday, what significant influence would that have over your ability to express yourself? I didn't realise a message board had such a fascinating social hierarchy... personally, if I want to know if someone's a troublemaker, I take a quick look at some of their previous posts and I think it gives a much better idea of what they're like than drawing conclusions from a joining date.

I think post numbers and joining dates often get in the way of meaningful discourse. I dont think it matters when you join, just what you have to contribute to that forum. Isn't that what really matters?

Thankyou very much and goodnight. :D
sallycinnamon78 x

Sally I agree with everything you've said. I've seen it happen countless times, but thankfully, never to me. It's rude and just plain wrong to jump on someone because they are a "newbie".

Hmmm...I've been here seven years and only have 338 posts. Can I be an "honourary newbie" too??:wave:

I think Newbies are welcome in this forum.....

It's conservatives who are the dying breed... Or anyone who does not fit the liberal MO...

In the immortal words of Johhny Storm.....

Flame on

Last edited:
Hate to say it but our community communicates on the same level as the teeny bopper sights on many occasions

I remember my first post on FYM. I was asking what people thought of the cloning controversy. Gosh, that was scary. After awhile, I discovered that no one here bites. After awhile I had the guts to join the Iraq/Middle East controversy. I didn't get my throat cut. After awhile I decided this was a pretty fun place to hang out. By then I wasn't a newbie anymore.

Dreadsox said:

It's conservatives who are the dying breed... Or anyone who does not fit the liberal MO...

In the immortal words of Johhny Storm.....

Flame on

Yeah, even though I disagree with about 90% of what they post, I don't want them to leave. I was sad to see nbc go, and I wish 80s would post more, for example. (And whatever happened to AEON?) I know it must be hard to be in the minority, constantly being shouted down and what not, but often the minority voices are the most important--they keep the place from becoming a mutual admiration club.

maycocksean said:

Yeah, even though I disagree with about 90% of what they post, I don't want them to leave. I was sad to see nbc go, and I wish 80s would post more, for example. (And whatever happened to AEON?) I know it must be hard to be in the minority, constantly being shouted down and what not, but often the minority voices are the most important--they keep the place from becoming a mutual admiration club.

Add U2 Alabama to the list.

I used to be considered conservative. I am not sure I fit the mold and I do not post here much anymore either, more because my job is keeping me so busy, I hardly have the time.

maycocksean said:

:yes: debate is fun...if everyone agrees there's no debate :shrug:

not that i post in FYM much anyway, half the time the threads are already 70 pages long and I feel there's not much to say that hasn't already been said :lol:

but I definitely agree with the original post here. the superiority complex of more posts = better is a bit ridiculous. though I would advise all newbies to lurk for awhile before they post, to get a feel for the forum, and then also post awhile before starting 20 threads.

Dreadsox said:

If people in general would avoid condescension and ridicule in their replies, that would go a long way towards helping with this. Unfortunately being the only person arguing for some particular view tends by nature to be draining and disheartening, and that much can't really be pinned on anyone else; it's a situational thing. Of course 'majority' people don't have a monopoly on being snotty, but in the big picture the domino effect is a lot more likely to kick in from that end. I always really appreciate it when people are able to respond calmly and without sneering, with facts and articulation of other perspectives, to someone they disagree with; that at least extends to the other person the respect of showing you recognize they have a brain and are able to think. No one should expect to be handled with kid gloves simply because they're in the minority; on the other hand that's no license to treat them as entertainment and a punching bag either. With a very few exceptions, I've never understood the innate hostility and contempt some people seem to feel towards their ideological opposites around here--it's just a discussion forum, not a cosmic battleground for the future of Western civilization, and it's more than a little ridiculous to justify garden-variety rudeness by appealing to the latter concept.

As far as the newbie thing, I agree, and I actually don't think FYM in particular has any noteworthy problem with that. I also agree though with AtomicBono that just like in real life, you should hang around quietly observing for awhile before jumping headfirst into the melee, then maybe make your first few posts prudently short rather than write an essay (or a rant) on some topic it turns out everyone's sick to death of.

Whenever FYM gets me down, I remind myself that my religious and political views are also night and day as those of my parents and my in-laws. You can agree to disagree, and still have a good friend or a loved one. It's hard to keep this perspective when all we have here is words on a 2-dimensional screen and usually don't know other posters personally. I just keep reminding myself of my mom and I, how opposite we are, but how well we get along, political debate aside.

I've said some dumb things here, and I've read some dumb things. Such is life, human nature. I have changed my views on a few things stemming from discussion here, so I have felt and at the moment continue to feel that this forum is of value to me.

Even with all the disagreement, I can't think of any FYM poster I wouldn't be pleased to met in person.

[Q]I've said some dumb things here, and I've read some dumb things.[/Q]

This would be my MO.

There have been so many issues I have taken the opposite on in here, just to learn and see if I could understand or put myself insomeone elses shoes.

In the heat of the argument, I have lost my composure at times. I have used sarcasm, ect at times to try and diffuse things and it has failed.

With 9000 posts I have certainly made a statement or two I am not proud of.

Back
Top Bottom