Superiority complexes and internet forums in general - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2007, 01:26 PM   #46
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by redhotswami
i know what you mean. i get all disoriented when people change their avatars. thats how we tend to recognize them in these forums. and then they go changin and turn my world upside down.
Totally, When Wayne Travis Changed his Avatar I was like, who the hell is this dude? Oh wait...

Old 02-06-2007, 05:14 PM   #47
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

Dread has a boston accent, not unlike many of my cousins.

etc., etc.

You are officially the first gay man that has had a dream about me.

And....

My accent is more CT than Bawston.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:22 PM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

or conservatives who can't take the heat?

Nope, I think that there are many conservatives who sought and engaged in rational debate. I think you get tired of being accused of being something you are not based on an internet conversation. I think back in the day, there were some decent discussions between conservatives and liberals on this board.

I also think the political climate changed, and the tenor of the dialogue did to.

I am proud to say that there have been times in here when I was accused of being one thing or another and people like yourself, bonovox, verte, angela, pax, and others came to my defense. It meant a lot to me to feel welcomed by this community.

I am not so certain all have been welcomed.

Again, I will be the first to admit I can have an edge to my posting. And when I have been wrong on something, or my posting clearly upset someone, I am the first to attempt to contact the person via PM or Email to apologize. Aside from my aggrivation that so much sensational drudge report stuff gets in here, my biggest disappointment is in the fact that some conservative members are gone. I think I have moved further left over my tenure here on many an issue, and maybe that is why I am still here.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:36 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega
^says the one who is changing her avatar relativley frequently
don't make me do it again
Old 02-06-2007, 06:27 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:53 AM
As long as you leave the signature.
I mean, if you changed both at the same time, people might not recognize you
Old 02-06-2007, 06:30 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

oh then it'll be okay. i don't think the sig is going anywhere. IT has a superiority complex, and guilt trips me whenever I consider replacing it.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:32 PM   #52
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

And....

but i don't know what you look like, it was only what my brain conjured up based upon your posts and the information you've given us about yourself.

oh, but then you posted the vacation photos and now i do know what you look like.

but, yeah, i think in the dream everyone was at a cafeteria-style restaurant, long tables, eating food, and discussing an issue, there was a great big picture window as well, a pond outside, i think.

really kind of boring. but i was sure it was you sitting at the table.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:35 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

but i don't know what you look like, it was only what my brain conjured up based upon your posts and the information you've given us about yourself.

oh, but then you posted the vacation photos and now i do know what you look like.

but, yeah, i think in the dream everyone was at a cafeteria-style restaurant, long tables, eating food, and discussing an issue, there was a great big picture window as well, a pond outside, i think.

really kind of boring. but i was sure it was you sitting at the table.

if you weren't out of town that dream could've been a reality ...but with different people.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:41 PM   #54
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Nope, I think that there are many conservatives who sought and engaged in rational debate. I think you get tired of being accused of being something you are not based on an internet conversation. I think back in the day, there were some decent discussions between conservatives and liberals on this board.

I also think the political climate changed, and the tenor of the dialogue did to.
For the most part I agree with you, including the effects of political climate (those are very obvious, I think, if you skim through the archives chronologically--it's maybe more a question of an everpresent tension lurking there that didn't before, rather than increased 'bias' per se). What bothers me most is the increase in letting slip snide or condescending digs, mocking, belittling etc.--whether towards individuals or "anonymous" collectives--that don't contribute anything to "debate" at all and over time, add up to creating the impression that certain people apparently have a 'Kick Me' sign stuck on them. It's not that "liberals" have a monopoly on that--I've certainly seen "conservative" posters get condescending and mocking, too--but in the big picture, the statistical discrepancies do add up to a cumulative effect, and I wish people would try to stay sensitive to that, even when others are trying your patience at the moment. I think Lies had the right idea--sure no one can make you like everyone, and really the thought's no skin off my nose if you resolve I'm full of myself and probably a jerk in real life too, but given the low broader-impact stakes this place realistically has, it makes sense to approach it as if people in here were your friends, relatives, coworkers or whatever, and extend them the kind of willingness in principle to assume they're fundamentally a good sort as you would in real life. Otherwise, our political debates are going to get just plain old boring after awhile; you need some tension to draw out the really interesting stuff, but you also need some sensitivity to the psychological risks engaging that tension can pose, especially for 'minority' viewpoints, and mind how you "package" your replies accordingly. If someone can't handle an intellectual challenge well that's their problem, if they're gonna hold it against someone forever for blowing up on them once or twice then that's their problem too...but it's not a sign of being 'thin-skinned' to not want to be regularly taunted and feel like apparently no one else reading cared.
Quote:
Hmm, I've always 'pictured' you with a Bawston accent too, and unlike Irvine, saying 'CT accent' calls nothing to mind for me. I know Brooklyn, Joisey, Bawston and Maine, but that's about it. Then again, I've had encounters with other Southerners where we both did a double take upon hearing each other's accents and were like, "Whoa, where are you from?" Funny how that works...

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 02-06-2007, 06:47 PM   #55
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

so you think...
Old 02-06-2007, 07:06 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland

What bothers me most is the increase in letting slip snide or condescending digs, mocking, belittling etc.--whether towards individuals or "anonymous" collectives--that don't contribute anything to "debate" at all and over time, add up to creating the impression that certain people apparently have a 'Kick Me' sign stuck on them.
I think that exists throughout the board to some extent though. Posters who don't like (and express) dislike for particular U2 albums, certain sports teams, certain bands, etc. face a bit of a backlash as well in other parts of the forum.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:28 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by redhotswami

i know what you mean. i get all disoriented when people change their avatars. thats how we tend to recognize them in these forums. and then they go changin and turn my world upside down.
Me too, Mia. In 5+ years, I remember all of my avatars (5, including the current one) and why I switched each time. I HATE changing it!
Old 02-06-2007, 11:02 PM   #58
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by ntalwar

I think that exists throughout the board to some extent though. Posters who don't like (and express) dislike for particular U2 albums, certain sports teams, certain bands, etc. face a bit of a backlash as well in other parts of the forum.

agreed, and i think dissenting opinions are more respected in FYM than in other forums -- EYKIW anyone?
Old 02-06-2007, 11:28 PM   #59
Forum Moderator

The fact that it happens less here than in EYKIW ain't saying much. Anyhow, in the big picture it matters less there because the supply of new "minority" viewpoints there is pretty much inexhaustible. If I give up in disgust because I'm tired of getting reamed on for hating Pop or whatever, well there are a dozen more Pop-haters at hand to take my place, and within another couple months there'll be a dozen more. Not to mention, most of us have more invested emotionally in the kind of stuff we discuss here. Yeah, I'd be annoyed if someone ridiculed me for my inability to recognize the astounding genius of whatever album, but the kind of things you're likely to be attacked for here (and I mean attack, not debate) are a lot more disheartening, in my opinion.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 02-06-2007, 11:51 PM   #60
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
but the kind of things you're likely to be attacked for here (and I mean attack, not debate) are a lot more disheartening, in my opinion.

but the things in here to be attacked/debated lend themselves much more readily to said attacking/debating, as opposed to one's quite subjective opinion on your favorite album or the fact that "miami" is a pretty shite track or that the 2006 version of "kite" is astonishing.