Superiority complexes and internet forums in general

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I certainly think so, but the fact that we agree EYKIW is worse for that suggests it's otherwise for some. Not that that makes it OK anywhere. Then again, there are a lot of FYMers who don't spend much time in the other forums, so...

You can always tell the difference when it is ideology/sacred cow/pc talking and when it is people talking. It takes patience and maybe skill to skim through the posts to find whatever meat a discussion might have.

And I've observed once you get past the agenda and to the people, the personal insults often evaporate. It just seems hard to get past the agenda. I haven't always found FYM to necessarily be the place to work out internal conflict on something, lol....oftentimes, I just stop caring about the topic entirely.

Then again, sometimes the discussions pleasantly surprise me.

Irvine511 said:

but, yeah, i think in the dream everyone was at a cafeteria-style restaurant, long tables, eating food, and discussing an issue, there was a great big picture window as well, a pond outside, i think.

I would love to sit at such a table!

well i made a few threads that certainly went down in horrible ways :X hahahaha

i still have my strong beliefs, but i have learnt to rein in my earnest style of writing whatever falls out of my head and it not making much sense, or seemingly very antagonistic. I try to step back and see why or what is going on rather then jumping in head first.

also thank you for putting up with my shit typing

:wink:

Re: Re: Superiority complexes and internet forums in general

BonoManiac said:

Hmmm...I've been here seven years and only have 338 posts. Can I be an "honourary newbie" too??:wave:

Of course! LMAO! :bump:

I've been coming to Interference on-and-off for the last several years and I think one thing I can't stand is when people shit on U2. That's my biggest peeve. I've got no problem with people saying they hate a certain album or song, but this a bloody U2 site for Pete's sake! Why the outright hate? If you're not down with U2, get the Hell out!
Now, as far as newbies and stuff. I couldn't care less. If you have valid idea or opinion you want to share, go for it. I don't care if you've been here 2 months or 5 years. People that have been here for years have really talked some shit, but big deal. Consider the source and move on.
I'm kind of a rogue here at Interference. My only real friend here is Sicy whom I've known via the internet for several years. She's just downright good people. With activity in U2land down for the most part, I'm usually over at Lemonade Stand more talking sports, wrestling or TV. I'm not really big into politics or religion because those conversations have a tendancy to go nowhere slowly.
In closing, if you're a newbie, proceed with caution, because some folks will be over you like vultures to a carcass. Why? Because they have nothing else better to do. Just like me. LOL!

I honestly never noticed people beating up on newbies here in FYM except if it became obvious they were trolling. I for one never even look at anyone's number of posts, not even mine. There are so many people here now, and the names are all starting to look alike, who can even keep up with who's new and who's not?

I guess one thing I'm guilty of is paying more attention to the posts of people I know than those I don't but I don't mean to be dismissive of newbies--you just can't always connect with everyone or respond to every post so you have to be selective sometimes. But when I see a newbie is being ignored in a thread I will actually make a point of responding to them.

i've found peoples' online personas to be much different that their real personalities.

some ppl who appear to be big shots are wall flowers in realty.

some ppl who come across as bafoons are not that idiotic in realty.

some ppl are just as u thought they would be-but this is a rarity.

don't be misled by the illusion of interland or any online message boards.

dbs

Last edited:
Assuming of course that you are seeing their real personalities and not just a social persona, another mask.

besides which, not everyone on this forum lives in california, usa, and therefore meets up with everyone socially, lol. i'll never meet many on here who i'd like to.

there seems to be a prevailing attitude in here of being smarter or more learned than everyone else; that a college degree answers life's big ones, that what someone does for a living defines their ownership of absolute truth, etc. it's embarrassing for everyone, even those who portray it. it seems to me that the genuinely wise of fym don't spout off frequently at all. or maybe it is their humility which makes others listen more. who knows.

While anyone can hide behind a persona here, I think it's possible to make fairly accurate (if not comprehensive) judgments on people based on patterns of behavior, words chosen, undertones, who they attack and how they handle being attacked, how they process information, how they rationalize, if you can sense them stopping to think. Although someone can do it, I think it is hard not to reveal something about self here even if it is only a throwaway sentence.

If someone is a consistent jerk here, that's part of their real makeup, whether they choose to show it in their real lives or not. It's just safer to do it here. Now I may like them better (or not) if I met them, but I'm not going to forget that part of them. And I expect to run the same risk anytime I open my mouth here.

Back
Top Bottom