Super Tuesday: place yer bets here - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2004, 08:52 AM   #1
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:44 AM
Super Tuesday: place yer bets here

So, some of you all called things pretty well last time. Anyone want to have a go now?

SD

Old 02-02-2004, 10:55 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:44 AM
I don't really want to try to call it. It will be interesting to see how Kerry does in South Carolina and Oklahoma. Edwards is leading in the polls in South Carolina and Clark is leading in Oklahoma. Who knows how this thing is going to come out? We are not going to know the nominee after these primaries. With this kind of competition it will probably be March before anyone really knows.

Old 02-02-2004, 03:42 PM   #3

Local Time: 02:44 AM
I won't make any guesses...in Arizona many ballots were cast by mail BEFORE Iowa...so that state could be a key player for/against Dean. Kerry is way ahead in the polls there so I guess we'll see.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:26 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Missouri is possibly the most important state tomorrow. The press will pay attention to others because there are states where new candidates may win.

Missouri tomorrow is a telling state because it it in the middle of the US.

I predict a Kerry day.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:40 PM   #5
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

I think Edwards is set to shock and awe.

I know, I know, bad joke

Join Amnesty.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:26 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Kerry is essentially the Dems candidate now. It will be a Kerry Day.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:06 AM   #7
Refugee

I'm torn between predicting reality and hoping Wesley Clark does well. I support my candidate no matter what happens tomorrow, but I doubt he'll carry any states. Oklahoma, my home state, seems to be rallying in his favor, but I've become so disillusioned with the whole process that I seldom think MY candidate will ever win anything.

John Kerry, the least charismatic candidate, will probably win every primary with a slight exception being South Carolina going to John Edwards. He seems like a decent man, but I don't think there's a chance he'll be elected over Bush. Clark seems like the most viable contender, with a close second being Edwards.

I hope Clark gets Oklahoma, Arizona, and New Mexico, but being how humans are mostly followers as opposed to independent thinkers, they will all vote for Kerry in the end. People like a winner, and he's proven to be it...thus far. But then again, are people confident enough to support their first choice, or their fears?

It's sad to think that a majority are supporting that guy! It's certain failure in November if John wins, yet the voters do it anyway.

Old 02-03-2004, 07:02 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Interesting side bar....

John Kerry was challenged by Governor Weld for his Senate seat a few years back. It was his most serious challenge to his power in all of his years in the senate.

The debates were Excellent. The Bush camp is already here in Massachusetts supposedly gathering the info from the old Weld people that was used to go after Kerry in that same election. Kerry will be prepared for it.

The final thing you may say is he is boring. He will be better when the field is cleared. He will be a better debater. The weld Kerry debates were some of the best debates I have ever seen in any campain. Bush will not enjoy debating Kerry.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:09 AM   #9
New Yorker

Interesting post, Dread. Thanks! I was looking forward to hearing Bush debate Clark, a Rhodes scholar, just for entertainment purposes. But Kerry will wipe the floor with him. He won't likely fly off the handle like Dean, Clark is unpredictable, Edwards is inspiring but can be vague. Perhaps Kerry's just what we need. He's been beating Bush in the national "if you voted right now" polls. That may or may not mean anything in Nov.

Anyway, I agree, it'll be a Kerry Day, and I'm hoping Edwards and Clark do respectably. Dean, too. The media may have crucified him, but he's said things that had to be said. No good deed....

SD
Old 02-03-2004, 09:33 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

The easiest way to go after Kerry is simply his voting record in the Senate. Kerry has often voted to cut defense spending over his career as well has voting against using military force to remove Saddam's military from its brutal rape and occupation of Kuwait in 1991. Kerry is in his honeymoon faze and things will be different when its only him vs. Bush. Right now, you have a # of candidates all bashing Bush. Wants Bush starts to campaign though and opens up his campaign war chest, things will be different.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:31 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

So far the impression I have of Kerry is that you don't underestimate the guy. The pundits were calling his campaign dead before Iowa. Good grief, talk about eggs in their faces! Enough to clean up several chicken farms. He's looking awfully good for an alleged goner.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:33 AM   #12
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
The easiest way to go after Kerry is simply his voting record in the Senate. Kerry has often voted to cut defense spending over his career ...
I'm not sure with Bush's cuts in Military benefits, pay, and stories of unfair compensation for POWs if Bush would be wise to play this card.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:48 AM   #13
New Yorker

That's right BVS. Nor would he be wise to try to attack the patriotism of a Vietnam vet/purple heart guy (do I have that right?) when Bush, even if he didn't go AWOL, was never in combat!

Anyone know more about that AWOL charge, btw? Was a conclusion ever reached? (Please, lefties and righties alike, put aside partisanship in answering that. )

SD
Old 02-03-2004, 12:31 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

I'll look into that AWOL thing Sherry. Part of it, anyway, supposedly happened in my own state. Unfortunately a heck of alot of the talk about this *is* partisan. I'll try to get beyond that if that's possible in an election year. People are going to be trying to come up with dirt on both Bush and Kerry. I hope they will keep it on the issues and off of the personal stuff. I hate mudslinging. I sure don't plan on doing any. I don't have anything personal against Bush. I just don't agree with the neocon philosophy.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:10 PM   #15
Refugee

NATIONAL REVIEW POSTS EARLY EXITS:
AZ Kerry 46, Clark 24, Dean 13
MO Kerry 52, Edwards 23, Dean 10
SC Edwards 44, Kerry 30, Sharpton 10
OK Edwards 31, Kerry 29, Clark 28
DE Kerry 47, Dean 14, Lieberman 11, Edwards 11

---Oklahoma is the biggest surprise, by far. I can't believe Dean isn't placing anywhere close to first in any of the states!

I still believe Clark is the best contender against Bush, but if Kerry gets the nomination I'll be bound to vote in his favor; if Edwards gets the nomination I'd be more comfortable.