Super Tuesday: place yer bets here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't really want to try to call it. It will be interesting to see how Kerry does in South Carolina and Oklahoma. Edwards is leading in the polls in South Carolina and Clark is leading in Oklahoma. Who knows how this thing is going to come out? We are not going to know the nominee after these primaries. With this kind of competition it will probably be March before anyone really knows.

I won't make any guesses...in Arizona many ballots were cast by mail BEFORE Iowa...so that state could be a key player for/against Dean. Kerry is way ahead in the polls there so I guess we'll see.

Missouri is possibly the most important state tomorrow. The press will pay attention to others because there are states where new candidates may win.

Missouri tomorrow is a telling state because it it in the middle of the US.

I predict a Kerry day.

Kerry is essentially the Dems candidate now. It will be a Kerry Day.

I'm torn between predicting reality and hoping Wesley Clark does well. I support my candidate no matter what happens tomorrow, but I doubt he'll carry any states. Oklahoma, my home state, seems to be rallying in his favor, but I've become so disillusioned with the whole process that I seldom think MY candidate will ever win anything.

John Kerry, the least charismatic candidate, will probably win every primary with a slight exception being South Carolina going to John Edwards. He seems like a decent man, but I don't think there's a chance he'll be elected over Bush. Clark seems like the most viable contender, with a close second being Edwards.

I hope Clark gets Oklahoma, Arizona, and New Mexico, but being how humans are mostly followers as opposed to independent thinkers, they will all vote for Kerry in the end. People like a winner, and he's proven to be it...thus far. But then again, are people confident enough to support their first choice, or their fears?

It's sad to think that a majority are supporting that guy! It's certain failure in November if John wins, yet the voters do it anyway.

:eyebrow:

Interesting side bar....

John Kerry was challenged by Governor Weld for his Senate seat a few years back. It was his most serious challenge to his power in all of his years in the senate.

The debates were Excellent. The Bush camp is already here in Massachusetts supposedly gathering the info from the old Weld people that was used to go after Kerry in that same election. Kerry will be prepared for it.

The final thing you may say is he is boring. He will be better when the field is cleared. He will be a better debater. The weld Kerry debates were some of the best debates I have ever seen in any campain. Bush will not enjoy debating Kerry.

Interesting post, Dread. Thanks! I was looking forward to hearing Bush debate Clark, a Rhodes scholar, just for entertainment purposes. :D But Kerry will wipe the floor with him. He won't likely fly off the handle like Dean, Clark is unpredictable, Edwards is inspiring but can be vague. Perhaps Kerry's just what we need. He's been beating Bush in the national "if you voted right now" polls. That may or may not mean anything in Nov.

Anyway, I agree, it'll be a Kerry Day, and I'm hoping Edwards and Clark do respectably. Dean, too. The media may have crucified him, but he's said things that had to be said. No good deed....

SD

The easiest way to go after Kerry is simply his voting record in the Senate. Kerry has often voted to cut defense spending over his career as well has voting against using military force to remove Saddam's military from its brutal rape and occupation of Kuwait in 1991. Kerry is in his honeymoon faze and things will be different when its only him vs. Bush. Right now, you have a # of candidates all bashing Bush. Wants Bush starts to campaign though and opens up his campaign war chest, things will be different.

So far the impression I have of Kerry is that you don't underestimate the guy. The pundits were calling his campaign dead before Iowa. Good grief, talk about eggs in their faces! Enough to clean up several chicken farms. He's looking awfully good for an alleged goner.

STING2 said:
The easiest way to go after Kerry is simply his voting record in the Senate. Kerry has often voted to cut defense spending over his career ...

I'm not sure with Bush's cuts in Military benefits, pay, and stories of unfair compensation for POWs if Bush would be wise to play this card.

That's right BVS. Nor would he be wise to try to attack the patriotism of a Vietnam vet/purple heart guy (do I have that right?) when Bush, even if he didn't go AWOL, was never in combat!

Anyone know more about that AWOL charge, btw? Was a conclusion ever reached? (Please, lefties and righties alike, put aside partisanship in answering that. :D)

SD

I'll look into that AWOL thing Sherry. Part of it, anyway, supposedly happened in my own state. Unfortunately a heck of alot of the talk about this *is* partisan. I'll try to get beyond that if that's possible in an election year. People are going to be trying to come up with dirt on both Bush and Kerry. I hope they will keep it on the issues and off of the personal stuff. I hate mudslinging. :mad: :madspit: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: I sure don't plan on doing any. I don't have anything personal against Bush. I just don't agree with the neocon philosophy.

Last edited:
NATIONAL REVIEW POSTS EARLY EXITS:
AZ Kerry 46, Clark 24, Dean 13
MO Kerry 52, Edwards 23, Dean 10
SC Edwards 44, Kerry 30, Sharpton 10
OK Edwards 31, Kerry 29, Clark 28
DE Kerry 47, Dean 14, Lieberman 11, Edwards 11

---Oklahoma is the biggest surprise, by far. I can't believe Dean isn't placing anywhere close to first in any of the states!

I still believe Clark is the best contender against Bush, but if Kerry gets the nomination I'll be bound to vote in his favor; if Edwards gets the nomination I'd be more comfortable.

Sherry Darling said:
That's right BVS. Nor would he be wise to try to attack the patriotism of a Vietnam vet/purple heart guy (do I have that right?) when Bush, even if he didn't go AWOL, was never in combat!

Anyone know more about that AWOL charge, btw? Was a conclusion ever reached? (Please, lefties and righties alike, put aside partisanship in answering that. :D)

SD

Sherry Darling,
There some good info here: http://factcheck.org/article.aspx?docID=131
Dreadsox posted a link to this site sometime ago.
Thanks Dread:up:

I just saw where Edwards won in South Carolina. No surprise there. I am a little surprised at Oklahoma, though. I didn't think Edwards was going to win there, and of course the polls haven't even closed there so officially he hasn't. This is interesting.

Thanks for that link! Exactly what I was looking for. As a leftie (if not always a capital D Democrat) I wish Moore would get his facts straight before he singlehandedly ruins the credibility of the left for the swing vote! :down:

SD

Oklahoma has caught me by surprise as well. I have been reading it was between Kerry and the General. It is stories like these that I love.

I have to say this. Edwards, may very well be one of the, if no the best stump sepaker I have heard, since Mario Quomo.

Very interesting.....he may not have enough to win the nomination in the tank...but he is going to make it interesting I think....

BonoVoxSupastar,

"I'm not sure with Bush's cuts in Military benefits, pay, and stories of unfair compensation for POWs if Bush would be wise to play this card."

#1. The largest pay increase for military personal in over 20 years has taken place in the Bush administration.

#2 The increases in defense spending by the Bush administration for new weapons, and training have been some of the largest in years.

Kerry on the other hand has a record of voting against Defense spending increases over the past twenty years. It was these increases in defense spending that have helped to make the US military the most modern and best fighting force in the world.

Its an important issue and I hope the Bush team brings up these facts for the rest of American to judge. How Kerry has voted on the issues over the past 20 years should be brought out in this campaign.

Even Howard Dean has criticized Kerry's opposition to the use of military force to remove Saddam's military from Kuwait in 1991.

Sherry Darling,

"That's right BVS. Nor would he be wise to try to attack the patriotism of a Vietnam vet/purple heart guy (do I have that right?) when Bush, even if he didn't go AWOL, was never in combat!"

Looking into one's voting record has nothing to do with patriotism. No one's discrediting Kerry's patriotism.

Bush has been Comander in Chief of the US Armed Forces unlike Kerry. Bush also has a 3 year record of strong support for the US military unlike Kerry's record which has voted more often to cut defense spending rather than increase it.

Bush's policies have led to Saddam being overthrown and taken into US miltary custody. Kerry voted against removing Saddam's military from Kuwait with military force back in 1991. Saddam would have remained in control of Kuwait if the nation had followed Kerry's policies back in 1991.

It was a long time coming, but is anybody besides me disappointed that Lieberman is gone?

I'm not.

The more and more I see him, the more I think Kerry may actually have a shot at the Presidency, especially if he gets Edwards on the ticket. :up:

STING2 said:
#1. The largest pay increase for military personal in over 20 years has taken place in the Bush administration.

#2 The increases in defense spending by the Bush administration for new weapons, and training have been some of the largest in years.

#1 You're right they've seen an increase under his watch but they've also seen cuts during wartime. Inconsistent at best.

#2 Along with some questionable moves like wanting to lift the ban of testing nukes.

speedracer said:
It was a long time coming, but is anybody besides me disappointed that Lieberman is gone?

I am disappointed in the fact that he did not do better. He was the candidate that I liked the best and the candidate that I think had the best chance at crossover support.

I think Kerry may very well have things wrapped up.

Kerry won here in NM last night. Dean was deluded in thinking he would carry NM. NM was a swing state in the 2000 election and now Bush is extremely despised here and everyone is voting for the candidate they think can beat Bush, period. Kerry is the only one with the experience to undo the Bush administration's damage. Kerry + Edwards on the ticket and perhaps Clark as Secretary of State, that would be a sweet set-up.

I'm glad to see Lieberman out. I didn't like him from the get-go, and feel he was far too centrist.

Back
Top Bottom