Sunday what? It's not a song about football!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anu

Editor
Staff member
There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you
Did anyone else cringe at "Sunday Bloody Sunday" being used by FOX as part of the Super Bowl?
It's a song about the horror of war, not the hype of halfbacks getting crunched by linemen, receivers getting clockeed by safeties, and so on.
I don't like the video in the stadium; i didn't like Bono's flag jacket at the halftime show; and I wanted the Eagles to win.
Just had to get that off my chest.
xo

I was happy to hear U2...but felt kind of ripped off that they were using that song to relate to football.

However I did hear "All Because of You" being played in the stadium every now and then. That was fine.

To tell you the truth, the song ALWAYS reminded me of football from the first time I heard it. As a matter of fact my brother and I used to play it over and over to jinx teams we didn't like! A 'bad football day' became a SBS. But I also always thought U2 would object to it being used that way, that it might somehow trivialize its true meaning to their country. I guess they don't, at least not anymore :shrug: I am very shocked it took somebody over 20 years to make that connection when I thought it all along (unless maybe they just never let it be used before) Hey wasn't there a SBS reference in the opening of the US Stuck football video?

Anu said:
Did anyone else cringe at "Sunday Bloody Sunday" being used by FOX as part of the Super Bowl?
It's a song about the horror of war, not the hype of halfbacks getting crunched by linemen, receivers getting clockeed by safeties, and so on.
I don't like the video in the stadium; i didn't like Bono's flag jacket at the halftime show; and I wanted the Eagles to win.
Just had to get that off my chest.
xo

"All Because of You" isn't about Football either, it's an expression of Bono's faith. It doesn't belong just as much as SBS doesn't belong.

You can pretty much say the same about ANY U2 song, none of them are about Football !

I have a long list of songs that aren't about football but remind me of football, I even made a tape of them once.;) You'd have to be a diehard fan to understand.

It was nice to hear a U2 song, but did it have to be "Sunday, Bloody Sunday?" I don't know if it's really appropriate for the Super Bowl. Maybe "All Because of You" or "Beautiful Day" for example, would be a little more pleasing for us U2 fans on a not-so bloody Sunday.

Now if there were a lot of riots after the game, that would be a different story.

I don't like "Sunday Bloody Sunday" for a football game, either. Admittedly I'm not a football fan but I don't think that's the point here. Something more upbeat like "All Because of You" or "Beautiful Day", if they want a U2 song, would be a heck of alot more appropriate.

Re: Re: Sunday what? It's not a song about football!

cardosino said:

You can pretty much say the same about ANY U2 song, none of them are about Football !

Except "Put 'Em Under Pressure."

Well, not a U2 song, but Larry was involved with it.

--------------

It's possible U2 don't even know the song was used, yeah they did the halftime show of the Superbowl a while back, but before, they admit they weren't American football fans.

Larry's a big football fan, but that's soccer to Americans.

There's some loophole they used, remember when John Kerry was using "Beautiful Day" for his campaign, but didn't have the band's OK/permission to use it? He later asked for it, and they gave it, but for the NFL, one time thing, they probably didn't ask.

Really sad, how so many have sold out for a few more dollars.

We are almost at the saturation point for celebrity and song.

It's becoming a parody of nonsense and trivia.

A snippet of New Year's Day was used during the New Year's Day college bowl coverage. :| I thought even that was a bit questionable, but it's nothing compared to SBS being used.

Can't the people who are in charge of music selection for football broadcasts use another band besides U2? It's not like there's a shortage of musicians out there making music with no other meaning than partying or let's smash stuff up. They could use those songs and not trivialize meaningful ones.

Back
Top Bottom