Sunday Dispatch Megathread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sunday Dispatch.673

Sunday Dispatch.673

“We are told to let our light shine, and if it does, we won't need to tell anybody it does. Lighthouses don't fire cannons to call attention to their shining- they just shine.”

~D.L. Moody

Sunday Dispatch.673

“We are told to let our light shine, and if it does, we won't need to tell anybody it does. Lighthouses don't fire cannons to call attention to their shining- they just shine.”

~D.L. Moody

I like this quote. Thank you for sharing it.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Sunday Dispatch.674

Sunday Dispatch.674

“They’ll rebuild their ruined cities.
They’ll plant vineyards and drink good wine.
They’ll work their gardens and eat fresh vegetables.
And I’ll plant them, plant them on their own land.
They’ll never again be uprooted from the land I’ve given them.”

~Amos 9:14-15 (The Message)

Rockets raining down from Gaza, they can tear a man to shreds
Just imagine what they can do to babies sleeping in their beds

Close to 3000 comin in so far, on our cities and our towns
Obama looks confused, John Kerry wears a perpetual frown

When someone comes to kill you
In the middle of the night
Don’t try to defend yourself

Don’t use an ounce of might
Just sit there quietly and try hard not to faint
As the world calls out for – maximum restraint

They’re shooting grads and quassams, from hospitals, mosques and schools
When they photograph their dead and dying Hamas just sits and drools

Another photo op to take, take straight to CNN
they paint Israel as the aggressor – and then it all begins again

Even France is getting the picture, Canada sure does too
Time to take the gloves off, time this shit is through

But the White House wants a cease fire, they wanna hand Hamas a win
Not only is that insane, it constitutes a sin

We gave them back Gaza and they started their missile attacks
Then they went cryin to the UN when Israel hit them back
Too few Jews have died, there must be something wrong
Israel must be cheating, it’s not fair that they’re so strong

~Peter Himmelman

Maximum Restraint (written and performed by Peter Himmelman) - YouTube

Are you suggesting those verses in Amos chapter 9 justify Israel's right to defend itself against Hamas?

I think war is always evil, and regarding this conflict I think both sides are between a rock and a hard place. I think Israel fell short of her covenanted relationship with God from the time Joshua led the fight against Jericho and Israel continues to suffer the deleterious consequence God forewarned would happen to them recorded at Deuteronomy 30. There would be a blessing if they remained in God's word given to Moses. Malediction would come if they did not. Sadly, they did not. Joshua failed them from the start. "Unless the LORD builds the house, it is to no avail the workers worked hard on it."

The reason I cite the verse "Unless the LORD builds the house...." is because Micah foretold God will make his case to Israel that they have always been wrong to build Jerusalem with acts of bloodshed. It was for this same reason that King David was not permitted to build God's temple. New Testament distinguishes between the Jerusalem of today and the one that God builds. It draws the comparison between Hagar and Sarah, Sarah representing the Jerusalem of promise, from above. Daniel foretold that both the temple and the city would be destroyed. Only the temple was destroyed by the Romans. The city of Jerusalem still stands as an idol opposing the spiritual city created directly by divine spirit. Jesus said to heed the prophet Daniel, using "discernment" because what is destined to occur must come to pass.

"Where was man?" That's spot on. Unbelievers often blame god because they prefer having no personal accountability for the way the world is now. It's all about choices; cause and effect.

Sunday Dispatch.676

Sunday Dispatch.676

"Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows."

~ Luke 12:6-7

Sunday Dispatch.677

Sunday Dispatch.677

I don't wanna love the way I loved before
I don't want to love that way no more
What have I been writing love songs for?
I don't wanna write them anymore
I don't wanna sing from where I sang before
I don't wanna sing that way no more
What have I been singing love songs for?
I don't wanna sing them anymore
I don't wanna be that girl no more
I don't wanna cry no more
I don't wanna die no more
So, cut me down from this here tree
Cut the ropes from off of me
Sit me on the floor
"I AM"; the only one I should adore

Oh, take me to church
I've done so many bad things it hurts
Yeah, take me to church
But not the ones that hurt
'Cause that ain't the truth
And that's not what it's for
Yeah, take me to church
Oh, take me to church
Yeah, get me to church

I'm gonna sing. Songs of loving and forgiving
Songs of eating and of drinking
Songs of living. Songs of calling in the night
The songs of light, a bolt of light
And, love's the only love you should advise
Songs of long and spiteful fails
Songs that won't let you sit still
Songs that'll mend your broken bones
And don't leave you alone
So get me down from this here tree
Take the rope from off of me
Sit me on the floor
"I AM"; the only one I should adore

Oh, take me to church
Yeah, take me to church
Yeah, take me to church.
Oh, take me to church
Yeah, get me to church

~Sinead O'Connor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMzY_KQIKjU

Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!"
~John 8:59

Sunday Dispatch.680

Sunday Dispatch.680

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the eye.”

~Antoine de Saint Exupéry

Watch over your heart with all diligence,
For from it flow the springs of life.

~Proverbs 4: 23

Sunday Dispatch.682

Q. Isn’t it elitist to say that people must be followers of Jesus in order to get into heaven?

A. It can certainly sound that way – and unfortunately some Christians project an air of arrogance and exclusivity in how they live out their faith and then communicate it to others. But authentic Christianity is anything but arrogant or exclusive. Let me illustrate.

Imagine two country clubs. The first has a strict set of rules and only allows people in who have earned their membership. They have to accomplish something, obtain superior wisdom, or fulfill a long list of demands and requirements in order to qualify for acceptance. And despite their best efforts, lots of people just won’t make the grade and will therefore be excluded. In effect, this is what other religious systems are like.

The second country club throws its doors wide open and says, “Anybody who wants membership is invited inside. Rich or poor, black or white, regardless of your ethnic heritage or where you live, we would love to include you. Entry will be based not on your qualifications or efforts but only on accepting this invitation. Jesus already paid for your membership. So we’ll leave the matter up to you. You decide. But we will never turn you away if you sincerely and humbly seek admittance.” That’s what Christianity is like.

Which country club is being snobbish? Christians aren’t being exclusive; they’re being inclusive. They’re not being haughty; they’re being hospitable. They’re not pretending to be better or more accomplished than anyone else. Instead, they admit their own weakness and invite others who feel weak or needy to join them in order to find the help that they’ve found through Christ.

Preacher D. T. Niles summed up genuine Christianity well when he explained that we are simply “one beggar telling another beggar where to find food.”

Says Revelation 22:17: “The Spirit and the bride say, ‘Come!’ And let the one who hears say, ‘Come!’ Let the one who is thirsty come; and let the one who wishes take the free gift of the water of life.”

~from Investigating Faith with Lee Strobel

Sunday Dispatch.683

Sunday Dispatch.683

“I read the New Testament, specifically the Gospels and I was struck at their divinity, feeling that humans could not have figured this out on their own. We’re just not bright enough.”

"I grew up going to church and had my pre-conceived notions of who Christ was. Actually I had always thought of Christ as being a Santa Claus figure or someone who would always let you do whatever you wanted (so long as you were) nice to people. Then a friend of mine who was a youth minister got me to read the New Testament, specifically Matthew. (Before then) I had no idea who Christ was, even though I thought I did. So I read Matthew and that was it! After the first three or four chapters I then realized that it was the most powerful thing I had ever encountered. I was totally sold on it!"

~ Moby

Sunday Dispatch.684

Sunday Dispatch.684

“I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”

~ John 8:12

When you’re sad and when you’re lonely
And you haven’t got a friend
Just remember that death is not the end
And all that you’ve held sacred
Falls down and does not mend
Not the end, not the end

When you’re standing at the crossroads
That you cannot comprehend
And all your dreams have vanished
And you don’t know what’s up the bend
Not the end, not the end

When the storm clouds gather ’round you
And heavy rains descend
And there’s no one there to comfort you
With a helpin’ hand to lend
Not the end, not the end

Oh, the tree of life is growing
Where the spirit never dies
And the bright light of salvation shines
In dark and empty skies

When the cities are on fire
With the burning flesh of men
And you search in vain to find
Just one law-abiding citizen
Not the end, not the end

~ Bob Dylan

Nick Cave + Kylie Minogue - Death is not the end - YouTube

Suynday Dispatch.686

Sunday Dispatch.686

The prayer of a person living right with God is something powerful to be reckoned with.

~ James 5:18 (The Message)

“To clasp the hands in prayer is the beginning of an uprising against the disorder of the world.”

~ Karl Barth

Sunday Dispatch.686

Sunday Dispatch.687

"When you become a Christian, you don't become sinless. The idea is to sin less. We're all sinners. We're never going to be clean till the day the good Lord is standing in front and judgment comes. But to me, I try to live my life. I do fall off, and occasionally I fall off hard and I have to get down on my knees and beg forgiveness. So it's not an easy ride, and it's not professed to be either.”

~ Nicko McBrain, Iron Maiden drummer

Sunday Dispatch.689

Sunday Dispatch.689

Now, remember, Jesus did not go around simply being nice to people. This is where the idea of “loving others” has gotten turned into a “get well” card. Christians honestly and sincerely believe that being nice is what they are called to do.

No, you are called to do something far more powerful than be nice; you are called to love. And what love has in mind is not “How can I keep things running smoothly here?” but rather, “What does this person truly need?” This will change everything in the way you relate to people; it will help you love them.

~John Eldredge

Sunday Dispatch.690

Sunday Dispatch.690

“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Enter, you who are blessed by my Father! Take what’s coming to you in this kingdom. It’s been ready for you since the world’s foundation. And here’s why:

I was hungry and you fed me,
I was thirsty and you gave me a drink,
I was homeless and you gave me a room,
I was shivering and you gave me clothes,
I was sick and you stopped to visit,
I was in prison and you came to me.’

“Then those ‘sheep’ are going to say, ‘Master, what are you talking about? When did we ever see you hungry and feed you, thirsty and give you a drink? And when did we ever see you sick or in prison and come to you?’

Then the King will say, ‘I’m telling the solemn truth: Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me—you did it to me.’

~ Matthew 25:34-40 (The Message)

Sunday Dispatch.692

Sunday Dispatch.692

“Christianity is not a religion, it is the announcement of the end of religion. Religion consists of all the things (believing, behaving, worshipping, sacrificing) the human race has ever thought it had to do to get right with God.

About those things, Christianity has only two comments to make. The first is that none of them ever had the least chance of doing the trick: the blood of bulls and goats can never take away sins (see the Epistle of Hebrews) and no effort of ours to keep the law of God can ever succeed (see the Epistle of Romans).

The second is that everything religion tried (and failed) to do has been perfectly done, once and for all, by Jesus in his death and resurrection. For Christians, then, the entire religion shop has been closed, boarded up and forgotten.

The church is not in the religion business. It never has been and it never will be, in spite of all the ecclesiastical turkeys through two thousand years who have acted as if religion was their stock in trade. The church, instead, is in the Gospel-proclaiming business.

It is not here to bring the world the bad news that God will think kindly about us only after we have gone through certain creedal, liturgical, and ethical wickets; it is here to bring the world the Good News that ‘while we were yet sinners, Christ died for the ungodly.’ It is here, in short, for no religious purpose at all, only to announce the Gospel of free grace.”

~Robert Capon

Sunday Dispatch.693

Sunday Dispatch.693

“And in despair I bowed my head;
"There is no peace on earth," I said;
"For hate is strong,
And mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!"

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth he sleep!
The Wrong shall fail,
the Right prevail,
With peace on earth, good-will to men!”

~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Sunday Dispatch.695

Sunday Dispatch.695

“People tell me, "You're such an optimist". Am I an optimist? An optimist says the glass is half full. A pessimist says the glass is half empty. A survivalist is practical. He says, "Call it what you want, but just fill the glass." I believe in filling the glass.”

~ Louis Zamperini, author of Devil at My Heels: A Heroic Olympian's Astonishing Story of Survival as a Japanese POW in World War II

Sunday Dispatch.696

Sunday Dispatch.696

"The number of intermediate varieties which have formerly existed on earth must be truly enormous. Why then is not every geological formation and every stratum full of such intermediate links? Geology assuredly does not reveal any such finely graduated organic chain; and this, perhaps, is the most obvious and gravest objection which can be urged against my theory."

~ Charles Darwin

"The absence of fossil evidence for intermediary stages between major transitions in organic design, indeed our inability, even in our imagination, to construct functional intermediates in many cases, has been a persistent and nagging problem for gradualistic accounts of evolution."

~Stephen Jay Gould,Professor of Geology and Paleontology, Harvard University

Sunday Dispatch.696

"The number of intermediate varieties which have formerly existed on earth must be truly enormous. Why then is not every geological formation and every stratum full of such intermediate links? Geology assuredly does not reveal any such finely graduated organic chain; and this, perhaps, is the most obvious and gravest objection which can be urged against my theory."

~ Charles Darwin

"The absence of fossil evidence for intermediary stages between major transitions in organic design, indeed our inability, even in our imagination, to construct functional intermediates in many cases, has been a persistent and nagging problem for gradualistic accounts of evolution."

~Stephen Jay Gould,Professor of Geology and Paleontology, Harvard University

Stephen Jay Gould was an evolutionist, and has often said his writings do not make Darwin's findings unscientific. Creationists have tried to take his findings and misinterpret them, you got duped.

Back
Top Bottom