Sunday, Bloody Sunday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamila

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Seventeen years before "Bloody Sunday" occured in Londonderry Northern Ireland on 30 January 1972, leaving 14 unarmed Catholic protestors dead in a peaceful protest against British rule, another "Bloody Sunday" occured in Selma, Alabama.

Today is the 40th anniversary of one of the most important and famous events of the Civil Rights Movement in the USA.

http://www.cr.nps.gov/nr/travel/civilrights/al4.htm

The Selma-to-Montgomery March for voting rights ended three weeks--and three events--that represented the political and emotional peak of the modern civil rights movement. On "Bloody Sunday," March 7, 1965, some 600 civil rights marchers headed east out of Selma on U.S. Route 80. They got only as far as the Edmund Pettus Bridge six blocks away, where state and local lawmen attacked them with billy clubs and tear gas and drove them back into Selma. Two days later on March 9, Martin Luther King, Jr., led a "symbolic" march to the bridge. Then civil rights leaders sought court protection for a third, full-scale march from Selma to the state capitol in Montgomery. Federal District Court Judge Frank M. Johnson, Jr., weighed the right of mobility against the right to march and ruled in favor of the demonstrators. "The law is clear that the right to petition one's government for the redress of grievances may be exercised in large groups...," said Judge Johnson, "and these rights may be exercised by marching, even along public highways." On Sunday, March 21, about 3,200 marchers set out for Montgomery, walking 12 miles a day and sleeping in fields. By the time they reached the capitol on Thursday, March 25, they were 25,000-strong. Less than five months after the last of the three marches, President Lyndon Johnson signed the Voting Rights Act of 1965--the best possible redress of grievances.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Please visit the website given above to see pics from this historic event.

Current U.S. Rep. John Lewis (D - GA) was one of those there that day.

He was recently honored for his heroic efforts as a young student organizer during the Civil Rights Movement. During one of the "Freedom Rides" through the South to desegregate interstate public transportation, John lewis was beaten so severely by police that he almost lost his life.

This past October, Rep. Lewis was honored alongside Bono for his contributions toward making the world a better place by the National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis.

Bono has claimed that Lewis is one of his personal heroes. :wink:

http://www.civilrightsmuseum.org/freedom/awardspics2004.asp

This happened in my home state, 40 years ago today. I call on all people of whatever faith and heritage to pray for what these actions were all about, equal rights for all, regardless of race, gender or creed. I went to the twentieth anniversary of this in 1985. I wasn't able to attend this particular anniversary due to illness, but I was certainly there in spirit.

this important day in U.S. history should not be forgotten :up:

Jamila, the name of the town is Derry, there's no such place as "Londonderry" in Ireland.

financeguy said:
Jamila, the name of the town is Derry, there's no such place as "Londonderry" in Ireland.

She said Londonderry, Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland isn't in Ireland, it's aprt of the UK........

cardosino said:

She said Londonderry, Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland isn't in Ireland, it's aprt of the UK........

"Northern Ireland isn't in Ireland". Strange....maybe you should look at a map? Northern Ireland is a failed political entity, an artificially constructed statelet. It is no more British than Dublin.

Even though I am far away in Texas, you have my sympathy financeguy. NI is useless and needs to be reunited with Ireland. It makes no sense for them to be separate. No more of this 26 and six-its needs to be 32.

financeguy said:

"Northern Ireland isn't in Ireland". Strange....maybe you should look at a map? Northern Ireland is a failed political entity, an artificially constructed statelet. It is no more British than Dublin.

Actually, the majority of people there still support the Union.

It is a part of the UK, just as California and Hawaii are part of the US.

Ft. Worth Frog said:
Even though I am far away in Texas, you have my sympathy financeguy. NI is useless and needs to be reunited with Ireland. It makes no sense for them to be separate.

Apart from the fact that the majority don't want to be reunited of course.

It would probably be easier ot give California back to Mexico than it would be to peacefully remove NI from the UK and reunite it with the Republic.

Technically, it may be part of the UK at present.

However the counties in the Six counties were artificially determined to ensure that the majority would support Union - had the entire province of Ulster been selected, there would never have been a majority for retaining the Union. Therefore it is a meaningless political construct and I stand by the statement above that it is a failed political entity.

If we want to look at US examples, consider this. In Texas there are millions of Mexicans. If they decided that they wanted to declare a section of Texas Mexican, do you think the Governor of Texas would allow it? Hardly.

Having said that I am in favour of the consent principle as embodied in the Good Friday Agreement - i.e., no change until a majority agree to it. Also as I've said before I reject, repudiate and condemn the Provisional IRA.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong but from the way I learned it's called Derry or Londonderry to different groups....

Historically, Protestant Loyalists called it Londonderry & Catholic nationalists called it Derry.

:shrug: I don't know for sure what is officially called but that's what I've learned at least :huh:

Simply Irish drop the London part becasue its "London" if you wathc BBC they call it Londenderry, RTE-Derry.

Its a British thing!

You are dead right financeguy about how and who was put into NI. Like you said if they would have even taken Donegal and Monahgan there would be no majoority. Its a failed system set up to fail. If they wanted it to work then Dublin would be in control.

financeguy said:
Technically, it may be part of the UK at present.

Yes, just like technically, California is part of the USA.

financeguy said:

If we want to look at US examples, consider this. In Texas there are millions of Mexicans. If they decided that they wanted to declare a section of Texas Mexican, do you think the Governor of Texas would allow it?
Hardly.

They wouldn't exactly be a majority either. Whether they're there legally or illegally.

financeguy said:

Having said that I am in favour of the consent principle as embodied in the Good Friday Agreement - i.e., no change until a majority agree to it. Also as I've said before I reject, repudiate and condemn the Provisional IRA.

Oh, I totally agree, but that's not what precipitated the discussion.

Such is the way of these forums !

Financeguy addressed your point when he said that NI is a failed state set up to prevent Catholics and Nationalists from ever coming into power. (well he didnt say exactly that but that is what i know he means)

So when you say to an Irishman either side of the border, where Londonderry is they will laugh and say you mean Derry!

bonoman said:

So when you say to an Irishman either side of the border, where Londonderry is they will laugh and say you mean Derry!

Indeed. If anyone wants to know what the citizens of Derry call the place, just ask 200 citizens at random - I guarantee the overwhelming majority will say Derry. The nomenclature
"Londonderry" was only invented relatively recently and even some Unionists have now reverted to calling it by its correct name.

cardosino said:

They wouldn't exactly be a majority either. Whether they're there legally or illegally.
!

No but the point is that I consider the Six Counties / Northern Ireland to be artifically determined.

Therefore it could hypothetically be possible to select a district of Texas where a majority would prefer to be part of Mexico or to pledge allegiance to the Mexican flag - that would not make it right that they should be allowed to secede from the USA though.

Dreadsox said:
Off Topic...sorry...

Actually, most of the posts in the thread are off-topic! Jamila, sorry for hijacking your thread.

It is right that the protestors in Montgomery should be commemorated.:)

I think it's sad that this thread was hijacked.

NI debates really weren't appropriate in this thread.

:tsk:

IN THE NAME OF LOVE....:up:

No he didnt mean the thread has gone off-topic. Though it has.

I used to post here lots but was away back in Ireland for the last year and didnt have the use of a computer and havent posted since. I only got back last week.

I'm sorry the thread has gone off-topic.

I did watch a program on those marches today. Funny thing they said Bloody Sunday and i thought Derry firstly. After watching the program i was alot more informed on the issue. The links between the two events are very similar and rightly fully so they should be linked as both of their messages are basically the same.

Sorry again, and hello to you Dread!

Back
Top Bottom