Suicides in Iraq - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2003, 07:09 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:03 PM
Suicides in Iraq

I just read in the paper that many U.S. troops in Iraq have committed suicide. I do not have the numbers, but an investigation is going on because it's disturbing, to say the least. The report said that they are having to send many troops who are having severe emotional difficulties back to the States because they don't have enough people to treat all of the illnesses in Iraq. This bothers me. Suicide is such a drastic thing. Most people who threaten to commit suicide are trying to get attention and don't do it. Last year one of my co-workers at the library committed suicide. It was a nightmare, and only the second time in my whole life I've actually been around someone who did it. This is really sad.

Old 10-14-2003, 09:23 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:03 AM

Yes indeed it is very sad

I read about one soldier who shot himself right after using the phone, it seemed like he did it in front of everyone who was in the line waiting to use the phone, though I'm not sure about that.

I wish they could all come home, and the ones who need counseling would get it. This is a sad disgrace

Old 10-14-2003, 11:04 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

They need to do an investigation and get all of the people who are at risk out of there. Now. I cannot imagine how their families feel. There aren't many things in life as sad as suicide. This needs to be stopped.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:08 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Unfortunately, this is a problem that the military deals with outside of Iraq as well. It even happens to new young recruits going through their first training back in the USA.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:18 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
Unfortunately, this is a problem that the military deals with outside of Iraq as well. It even happens to new young recruits going through their first training back in the USA.
And 22 terror attacks every day don`t make it easy, the constant presure must be hard to cope with.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:28 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
Sting, I'm sure they do a good job looking for problems. This is starting to scare the pants off of the responsible people. It sucks and it's really upsetting to read this stuff in the newspapers.
Old 10-24-2003, 02:12 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

13 people killed themselfs, well that is what the dutch television said. The reason is that those people failed to hurt themself because they want to be send home. So, instead going home in a wheelchiar, they end op in a box.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:49 PM   #8
Refugee

WellI had no idea, thatīs awful!!!
Old 11-04-2003, 05:45 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemonboy
WellI had no idea, thatīs awful!!!
It sucks. Stop suicides, period.
Old 11-15-2003, 10:06 AM   #10
The Fly

The number of suicides are double the expected amount. There have also been over 140 US soldiers sent home for psychiatric reasons, mostly reservists.
Old 11-17-2003, 12:02 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Harper,

Can you provide some data on your claim?
Old 11-17-2003, 11:14 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

I'd like to know more too Harper. What is the "expected" number? Do they really expect anyone to commit suicide? I would hope that the recruiters screen for this and not admit anyone judged at risk for suicide.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:27 AM   #13
The Fly

STING2 and verte76,

I read this last month in a couple of UK dailies, but can only find the article in the Mirror. The site won't let me post the URL until I've made 15 posts, so here's the whole thing!

US TROOPS SUICIDE TOLL HITS RECORD

Oct 14 2003

By Mark Ellis

American soldiers are committing suicide in record numbers as their deployment in Iraq takes its toll, it was revealed yesterday.

Eleven soldiers and three Marines have killed themselves in seven months, double the average for the military.

And the Army has sent home 478 soldiers for mental health problems.

Army chiefs sent a mental health team to Iraq last month to investigate.

Lt Col Elspeth Cameron Ritchie, a US army psychiatrist, said: "The team are looking at the stresses on the troops, how well they are coping and how well the basic principles of battlefield psychiatry are working."

Health experts say harsh and dangerous living conditions and long deployments can worsen depression.

Meanwhile two US soldiers were killed in attacks, bringing to 96 the number killed since May.

One died in Baiji, 110 miles north of Baghdad, when his armoured car hit a landmine. The other was killed by a rocket grenade in Tikrit.

The only thing I can add is that my daughter's fiance came back from Iraq last week and he's not at all surprised by this. He was in Basra ( the "coalition friendly" part of the country) and says he was shot at on a regular basis and there are explosions occuring there all the time, which are just not being reported in our media. It's much worse in the North where the US troops are based.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:03 AM   #14
Jesus Online

Local Time: 02:03 AM
I can't imagine how difficult a job it is for the military services to prepare these young men and women for what they will face in situations like this one in Iraq. I'm sure STING has more than my baseless ponderings to say on this and I've no doubt every effort is made to help them ready for it all. Once there though, it would seem like an entirely different picture to some. They are brave no doubt. They are still though, just ordinary men and women. It's awfully sad.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:50 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

US military personal have mental problems and commit suicide when being based in Southern California. This is not something that is unique to service in Iraq. Considering that over 250,000 Men and Women have served in Iraq over the past 7 months, I would consider the number of suicides to be low. The "Mirror" does not site any source for the "doubling of the Suicide rate". It does not say weather the rate is double the overall peacetime rate or double the rate for US troops deployed in a unstable region.