Sudan massacre

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Scarletwine said:
I was greatly disappointed that the US pressured the resolution to not include sanctions.

Where'd you get that info from, SW? Actually, sanctions WERE in the US's original resolution to the UN, and Russia, China and others refused to pass it like that, and we gave in.

*sigh*

SD

Our resolutions passed in Congress said sanctions but CNN said that our delegation at the last moment refused to have specific sanctions mentioned:shrug:

edited to add

I would welcome being wrong however. I made several calls to my Senators and Reps to support the resolutions they passed.

Last edited:
The important thing is that the U.S., like so many other nations around the world, are still WILLING TO VACILLATE, whether in the U.N. or in Congress, on ACTUAL ECONOMIC SANCTIONS to force the hand of the Sudanese government.

Politically correct talk is fine (calling this catastrophe "genocide" - which it is) but if you don't follow your talk up with your walk(actual sanctions - not just the threat of sanctions), then I consider your talk to be worth nothing more than the air it is expressed upon!

The People of Darfur are suffering RIGHT NOW, they are dying RIGHT NOW - there needs to be sanctions put on the Sudanese government RIGHT NOW!

I think that is what Scarletwine (and me also) are simply trying to say.

THE WORLD NEEDS TO BACK UP THEIR TALK WITH THEIR WALK ON DARFUR - NOW! :yes: :up: :hug:

Amen.

I get so much more info and press from NWI and BBC. American news gets more depressing every day. At one time this would be a big story for self-respecting news stations in the US.

Of course it took the rock world to turn people on the Ethiopia starvation. I kinda wish Live Aid 2 was a reality just to bring prominence to the unbelievable reality in Darfar.

I damn well agree that there must be sanctions but the US Ambassador to the UN was the one that desired the threat of santions to be there but he had to remove them so the sodding resolution would be passed. It is not revising history to point out something that happened last week, China, Pakistan and Algeria were dead against having the word sanctions in there and various other members including France were quite wary about it. So the UN could be involved the resolution had to be watered down, not because the US forced it to be.

It is also a fact that it is Arab militia being supported by an Arab regime who recieves broad support from the Arab world and countries that invest in Sudanese oil. You call me a racist because this is what is happening, give me a sodding break. Racism is raping and killing innocent people because they are black, not pointing out such a crime. Sanctions will not solve the problem, there needs to be a multinational force in the country with proper air support to eliminate the Janaweed and prevent the Sudanese army from deploying its attack choppers and cargo planes (which it drops makeshift bombs from). There is no way to prevent the crisis unless you stop the carnage, the carnage goes back to the regime in Khartom and the regime recieves its support from the Arab world, not racist its real life and it must be dealt with directly, not ignoring a problem because you are afraid of facing the truth.

Now to support my statement that the US had to weaken the resolution I call attention to these articles from the mainstream media.

Reuters - http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsPackageArticle.jhtml?type=worldNews&storyID=556276&section=news
By Evelyn Leopold

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - The United States has scheduled a U.N. vote on its resolution threatening sanctions against Sudan if it does not stop atrocities in Darfur after changing contentious language to get support.

Having faced opposition from seven countries in the 15-member U.N. Security Council, U.S. officials on Thursday revised the draft resolution for the third time and deleted the word "sanctions."

Other Arab countries in the region warning against sanctions
http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L27418633.htm
CAIRO (Reuters) - Egypt said on Tuesday that imposing sanctions on its southern neighbour Sudan over a humanitarian crisis in the Darfur region would be damaging and should be avoided.

i listen to BBC Africa every day (seeing as I live in Africa) and the Sudan story is always the top news and has been for the last few weeks. Last night, they reported that the French are sending troops into Chad to guard the border and the refugee camps, distribute aid, and potentially be ready to move into Sudan when/if a resolution authorizes it.

Also, the African Union has observers on the ground and has been talking about sending in troops of their own. That is, African forces leading a peace-keeping mission. I believe Sudan is part of the AU and many feel that it would be better if the AU rather than the UN took responsibility to start fixing the situation.

^I would agree with part of that, my main problem is that the AU has the manpower but it lacks the proper technology to supress the militias and keep the Sudanese government out properly, US Air Power enforcing No Fly Zones would do a lot to prevent the military from using choppers against civilians, ending the carnage while the AU Troops maintain the peace and protect the refugees.

Thank you, mrs. springsteen, for those VERY DISTURBING pictures - I hope they help to KEEP THE FOCUS ON THE SUFFERING OF THE PEOPLE OF DARFUR.:yes:

This should NOT be the thread where we sit, comfortable in the developed world (whether in the USA, Australia or Europe) and philosophize our personal political ideas.

This should be a thread of HUMAN COMPASSION AND ACTION on behalf of these helpless people.:up:

My challenge to those who are doing all the complaining and finger-pointing in this thread is: WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO HELP THE PEOPLE SUFFERING IN DARFUR?

If all you can do is to complain, I personally think you should remain quiet. I know that I grow very tired of people who think they know everything (and can provide an article or two to "back them up") but can NEVER get off their duffs to actually DO SOMETHING TO HELP IMPROVE the situations they are so upset about! :ohmy:

To me, that's hypocrisy.

I'm no expert and I'm no savior to the world, but I AM ACTIVE in several groups that are trying to make a POSITIVE DIFFERENCE in Africa, including the Horn of Africa (in the general area where the Sudan is located). :hug:

So, let's keep our rhetoric down as the People of Darfur are suffering so needlessly.

DO MORE GOOD - DO LESS TALK. :wink:

Hi all! I'm so glad to be joined here by others who care about this. :)

You all are right--talk is cheap. If I can borrow from Jerry McGuire, show me the sanctions! Sula, WB girl!!! :hug: I hope you're well in the Corps and taking joy in what you're doing. Thanks for the good news that the French might be ready to step in.

SD

http://web.amnesty.org/actforwomen/index-eng

Girls as young as eight are being raped in Darfur, Sudan, and used as sex slaves. The mass rapes ongoing in Darfur are war crimes and crimes against humanity but the international community is doing very little to stop it, Amnesty International said, launching the report Rape as a weapon of war.

Despite the regional and international focus on Darfur and promises by the Sudanese government to disarm the Janjawid militia there is still no protection for women and girls.

The report, based on hundreds of testimonies, reveals how women and girls are being raped, abducted and forced into sexual slavery by the Janjawid. In almost all attacks on villages recorded by Amnesty International, the government's army were either directly involved or direct witnesses.

Its all about competing interests strategic, economic, political etc, unfortunately nobody thinks that The Dafur Genocide has anything to do with the WoT, I myself think that it is self evident the key players here are the same ones who supported Bin Laden when he was in exile in Sudan during the mid 1990's, it's a chance to kill two birds with one stone if we can chase the Islamist elements of the government out and prevent a Genocide - unfortunately multilateralism may obfuscate that for too long, although to be fair not one country is waving their hands to get involved right there, right now. Watch as the UN sucessfully maintains its reputation as the organization to go to if you want your country to get away with murder and recieve obscene ammounts of political support while you do it.

I think that the situationt that has allready begun is summed up well as follows.

To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men - Abraham Lincoln

Last edited:
Thanks, mrs springsteen, for the link to that most disturbing and sad article. :sad:

My suggestion would be that we would take our sadness and turn it into a bit of anger enough to learn more about the complexities of this humanitarian disaster and inform our family/friends about this. :yes:

Ultimately the People of Darfur would most appreciate and could most use not only our feelings of sadness for them but our willingness to ACT on their behalf. :up:

A letter to the editor and/or a phone call to the White House/ Congress can go a LONG way to improving things for the people of Darfur.... :hug:

Thanks for caring, mrs. springsteen. :applaud:

For a start, can we kick Sudan off the UN Human Rights Commission?

No Way Speedracer, they are a luiminary in the field of Human Rights around the world, just like Cuba, Lybia, Saudi Arabia, China and Burma, these governments have the strength to stand up against the blatant human rights abuses, despotism and genocides committed by any country that isn't at their very exclusive level on such matters.

And people wonder why I think the UN is a flawed organization, it cannot work while criminal regimes are allowed a seat at the table :shrug:

Thanks, Mrs. Springsteen, for your continued vigilance in finding those articles which REALLY are relevant.:yes:

The U.N. DOES need to get more actively involved in resolving this conflict, but we can ALL DO SOMETHING to help the People of Darfur too! :up:

THE GOAL IS SOUL....:angel: :hug:

Back
Top Bottom