Success in Iraq - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2007, 10:22 AM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 02:14 PM
Success in Iraq

My diatribe on the situation:

Success HAS been achieved in Iraq!

The goal was to secure freedom. This has been done. The people are now free to battle in the streets, attack each other, and split into factions. This couldn't have happened under Saddam!

The goal was to bring democracy to Iraq. This has been achieved. What is democracy but the majority of the people voting and getting their way? The majority of Iraqis have spoken, and they want a nation where they are free to explore their factional differences and do whatever they want. They have also spoken that they do not want the Americans around.

The rhetoric is that if we don't stay over there, they'll be over here. Well, I haven't seen a single terrorist attack on US soil since 9-11, however, we've now lost more Americans in battle than we did that day, not counting the tens of thousands of 'free' Iraqis who are now dead who likely would be alive if we'd stayed away. By sending our people over there, they were set up to be killed not only in battle but in terrorist attacks, ambushes, and by land mines. Civilians working for the postwar effort have also been brutally tortured and killed. Now we have 3 more missing men taken by the terrorists. They wouldn't have been able to get to them in America. This whole 'go over there or they'll be over here' logic is also flawed because the terrorist attacks are kept in check by homeland security, and no army is going to dare attack the US mainland.

If it's all the same to you, I'll take my chance with the phantom, mythical possibility of a terrorist attack over the death, destruction, and cost of money and lives going on over there now. The main goal of Iraqi freedom has been won. If the US stays, it will not be giving the Iraqis what they want, but what the US wants, which is Imperialism and 'taking over' in the style of the old Empires. I hope our government will wake up and see this soon.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:32 AM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 07:14 AM
I don't know, but it seem to me that from the very begining, Iraqi war is all about what US want?

War against terrorism, isn't it the reason formally annouced by the government? I doubt Iraq people saw themselves as terrorists, as the way US government saw them.

If history do go as a circle, the impact will happen long time after the war. No one can predict the result. Since this time, the whole arabic world is not happy....

Old 05-14-2007, 10:39 AM   #3
War Child

The US tried its best to say that it was all for Iraq even calling the war "Operation Iraqi Freedom" but of course that was never really true. I only hope that the people over there who hate the US will only hate the government and not the people because please know that a majority of us are against the war.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:52 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:14 PM
It depends on what you mean by success. As you say, they have the right to foiht each other in the streets. But I don't think this is what Bush and Co. had in mind when they invaded. So by their standards it's not really success.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:53 AM   #5
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by AnnRKeyintheUSA
The US tried its best to say that it was all for Iraq even calling the war "Operation Iraqi Freedom" but of course that was never really true. I only hope that the people over there who hate the US will only hate the government and not the people because please know that a majority of us are against the war.
I think most people would understand the difference, but I doubt they could let it go...and that's exactly what I was worrying about...

If the government keep repeat making this kind of short-sighted decision in future, one day they will be left no choice but seal the border. No one get in, no one get out. It's gonna be enemies everywhere.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:54 AM   #6
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
It depends on what you mean by success. As you say, they have the right to foiht each other in the streets. But I don't think this is what Bush and Co. had in mind when they invaded. So by their standards it's not really success.
I know, I was actually being ironic and sarcastic. They didn't get what they wanted, but they did achieve the goals in a strange way. It would be funny if it weren't so tragic. The main point here is that there really isn't any good excuse for continuing the war.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:56 AM   #7
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by butter7

I think most people would understand the difference, but I doubt they could let it go...and that's exactly what I was worrying about...
I know they can never let go of their rage, but only direct it in the right direction. Lots of us disagree with what's been done so don't hate us for it please.

Quote:
If the government keep repeat making this kind of short-sighted decision in future, one day they will be left no choice but seal the border. No one get in, no one get out. It's gonna be enemies everywhere.
What a disaster. There are already too many factions who hate each other forced to live together and that's the biggest problem.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:06 AM   #8
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by AnnRKeyintheUSA

I know they can never let go of their rage, but only direct it in the right direction. Lots of us disagree with what's been done so don't hate us for it please.

What a disaster. There are already too many factions who hate each other forced to live together and that's the biggest problem.
I guess, the best thing to do, is to gather people, and make your voice strong enough to be heard by those who might hate your guys. Prevent the problem from happening is much better than clean the mess later.

Just my two cents.

Honestly, I have no idea how it could be done, since the troops still in Iraq. But US gonna look "great" in history from now on, with not only Korea, Vietnam, but also Iraq on the list.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:07 AM   #9
War Child

There's already a hopeless mess now
Old 05-14-2007, 11:14 AM   #10
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:14 PM
It is a total mess.... successful??? Well, if I remember correctly, a success is when something is better than before.... and I highly doubt it is better now. With 35 people dying every day for 2 years(including US troup) I don't call it a success....

Big big big mistake of the Bush government.....
Old 05-14-2007, 02:17 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:14 PM
The United States did not enter into Iraq unilaterally. THey worked through the UN Security Council. There were 17 Resolutions involving Iraq giving chance after chance to verifiably disarm. Resolution 1441 gave the United States full authority to act. The subsequent resolutions after liberating Iraq from Saddam Hussein support this as well. There were well over 50 countries who supported this historic event. Saddam is gone, and Iraq is free. Mission accomplished.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:30 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
The United States did not enter into Iraq unilaterally. THey worked through the UN Security Council. There were 17 Resolutions involving Iraq giving chance after chance to verifiably disarm. Resolution 1441 gave the United States full authority to act. The subsequent resolutions after liberating Iraq from Saddam Hussein support this as well. There were well over 50 countries who supported this historic event. Saddam is gone, and Iraq is free. Mission accomplished.

thank goodness someone finally has the courage to speak the TRUTH! as well as recognize the critical support the Marshall Islands gave the invasion!
Old 05-14-2007, 03:42 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:14 PM
How about Denmark's 250 troops? The piddling number given by the Czech Republic and Bulgaria? How about Turkey's vote not to let us use their land? Some coalition this was to begin with, and then they pulled out. Meanwhile the big shots didn't want to do it. This hasn't stopped my arch-conservative uncle's French cheese passion. "Freedom fries" my ass.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:39 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:14 PM
Well, the former Polish president, Kwasniewski, said in an interview that the decision for Poland to go to Iraq was because they felt they had to support the Americans. It was because the fall of the Soviet Union, which the US had some share in, and the support for Poland to build up a functioning state made them feel comitted.

I don't know if that's true for the other former Eastern bloc countries as well.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:53 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:14 AM
Iraq under Saddam was a land of flying kites and chocolate rivers, just ignore the dungeons and food shortages.

If you want cheap oil then lift Sanctions as quid pro quo to Saddam. If you want to get rid of Saddam and get cheap oil and a strategic ally then stick a benign dictator in charge and keep the state apparatus in the same condition. The way that it has played out doesn't make sense for an oil grab or an imperialistic takeover.