Stupidity on display at anti-war protest rallies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am happy!

I am happy they excerized their rights!

I am happy to see.......so many people who care.

I am happy to see.......

So many well thought out slogans....that reinforce my belief that I do not belong with them.

Peace

LOL...not that this is a balanced article at all... ;)

FYI, I would never step foot at these protests. I think activism can be done in less hysterical, more productive, and somewhat intelligent means. Maybe? (lol)

Interestingly enough, even though I'm not exactly Bush's #1 fan, I had to argue to one of my Canadian friends that "fascist" isn't exactly an accurate description of Bush. Culturally and economically imperialist, *perhaps,* but, even then, such imperialism would fail if people didn't buy our stuff. It always amuses me how, despite such complaints, American albums and films will hit #1 in Europe.

I think what has always dismayed me is the *eagerness* Bush has displayed for war. Let's face it. All of this U.N. resolution garbage is window-dressing, and I only chuckled that, when a reporter asked Bush if war is imminent after sending all those new troops to the Gulf, Bush was wondering where we got those ideas from. Does he think we're that stupid?

Honesty and intelligence...I wonder whatever happened to those ideals? :p

Melon

Propaganda shit, just as stupid as the so - called "Axis of Evil".

Could you pls bore me with sth. else.

Let's say we do not read the author's words and just look at the pictures.

The pictures of the signs say it all!

In fact, at a closer look, they seem modified by the website author. One and two seem to be not modified, but 3, 4 and 5 yes. And pic no. 6 doesn?t seem natural at all.

Scandal Scandal!!! Right Wing propaganda again!

However, I think some blah is stupid, true.

But anti-war rallies are great, because war is bad. i like the ppl that go out to protest, even if they do it on an American intelligence level. (Hah!)

I agree. I am all for protesting against this insane idea of going to war with Iraq, but there are those who go to the rally's who are always going to be very leftiist, very anti everything that we as a country stand for.

you have to take the good with the bad and this is one of those situations.

ofcourse, every crowd will have its idiots. dont believe for a second that everyone that participates in them dont have a clue what theyre doing.

i am very proud of the american public for standing up to their government.

im not even going to read that article.

Well that author hardly presents a balanced view of antiwar demonstrations. I'm sure anyone here who's been on a demonstration will tell you that those rallies are incredibly diverse, including people from religious groups, political parties, pacifist organisation and yes, amazingly enough, people who believe in communism!

speedracer, I'd like to know why from looking at those posters you concluded that the rallies were organised by communists.

nbcrusader, perhaps the Iraqi people will be saying thanks, hoping that antiwar demonstrations might help to save them from being attacked.

And I just hate the idea that by demonstrating against a policy of your government, you're labelled as anti-American or unpatriotic. Surely what's unpatriotic is to blindly follow your country's leadership even when you think their actions are 100% wrong.

FizzingWhizzbees said:

And I just hate the idea that by demonstrating against a policy of your government, you're labelled as anti-American or unpatriotic. Surely what's unpatriotic is to blindly follow your country's leadership even when you think their actions are 100% wrong.

Surprisingly enough, Fizzing, some folks are terribly narrow-minded and they will indeed raise hell with you if you take a stance contrary to the U.S. government's.

Just realize that a certain percentage of any given population is going to be small-minded -- and take comfort in the fact that you are more "American" than they are, in the classic sense of the term.

1st: I applaud anyone who excercises their rights.
2nd: If we oppose what the signs say, it does not make us small minded.
3rd: Yes, there are people in every crowd who ruin it for others
4th: Some of these posters are just plain offensive and wrong.

If finding some of the protesting people ignorant based on what I saw in the pictures makes me closed minded so be it.

And now that I've looked at the signs, I'll say this:

-The "Hitler/Bush" signs were over-the-top, and the use of them was misguided and lame. And I won't argue with anyone who says they're offensive.

-The "God Bless Iraq" sign, at face value, seems to be a bit of smug and sarcastic rhetoric. However, the way I read it is that an all-loving god would be one who blessed all nations. The sign also could mean "God bless the Iraqi people, many of whom are innocent and will die in the coming war." I don't read it as "God bless Iraq for any atrocities committed by the Iraqi government." Nevertheless, without knowing the intent of the person who made the sign, it is ambiguous and therefore its usage is probably misguided.

- The "..difference between Bush and Sadaam" sign is nothing more than partisan barb. meh. *shrug*

- "What Bombs Would Jesus Use?" A valid question.

I heard some of the L.A. rally on radio and my only complaint with it was that the organizers piggy-backed some seemingly peripheral issues onto the war issue, but all-in-all, I'm glad these rallies are taking place.

FizzingWhizzbees said:

speedracer, I'd like to know why from looking at those posters you concluded that the rallies were organised by communists.

Maybe it isn't evident from the posters, but the rallies were organized by ANSWER (Act Now to Stop War and End Racism), and ANSWER is an arm of the Workers World Party, which is a bunch of communists. And when I say "communists", I mean fans of Stalin, Kim Jong Il, etc.

If you desire further explanation, let me know and I'll dig up some more references for you. Thanks for your inquiry.

Last edited:
pub crawler said:
heheh... actually Dread, I do respect you because, from what I've read of your posts, you remain civil, regardless of what's thrown your way.

That is debateable.....but thank you for the nice comment.:sexywink:

Back
Top Bottom