Stupid Dirty Girl - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2004, 04:52 PM   #31
Refugee

Local Time: 12:01 AM
nbc, I respect what you are saying here...I just have to ask you though...and please don't take offense to this...but would you be saying the same thing if this guy was a democrat?

Old 07-08-2004, 05:22 PM   #32
Refugee

Location: calm down, cold resides with me. I flee to decemberunderground... as you exhale I breathe in, and sink into the water underground and I'll grow pale without you
Local Time: 11:01 PM
Makes it no less of a scaremongering tactic.

Old 07-08-2004, 05:46 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

You know,all this talk about names and their meanings encouraged me to do some investigating. In my studies, it appears that the name Riordan has several different interpretatoins, the exact origins of which are unknown. The most common, however, appears to be: *@#$%@# $(#$@*#$ !@#^%()$%..... I'm sorry - it looks as though my Californina Tourette's is acting up again.

Here's my 2 cents in the Wolfeden/NBC debate: all people, even those in public office, should have the right to speak their minds. However, with that freedom comes the responsibility to measure your comments BEFORE they are made and try to filter our the blatantly offensive ones......unless, of course, your intent is strictly to offend. And if that's the case, do we really want someone in public service (whether elected or appointed) who can't or won't think before blurting out their next bon motes? (spelling???? French isn't my stong suite)
Old 07-08-2004, 11:49 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LoveTown
nbc, I respect what you are saying here...I just have to ask you though...and please don't take offense to this...but would you be saying the same thing if this guy was a democrat?
Yes. I am fully aware that the standard applied to Democrats would/should be applied to Republicans. Party affiliation makes no difference.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:52 AM   #35
you are what you is

Local Time: 05:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

A little research would show you that the "slippery slope" argument is often used when arguing constitutional rights cases.
I don't see what could be so slippery about this

Education Secretary + calling a child "dirty little girl" = wrong man for the job = find another job

the only pecedent this could set would be (as one example) if the Secretary of Agriculture would call farmers stupid hicks:
Secretary of Agriculture + calling farmers stupid hicks = wrong man for the job = find another job

which sounds about right to me
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 07-09-2004, 03:25 AM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Shall we act on principle or do we get to pick and choose who gets to be the subject of the witch hunt?

As for setting precedents, responses to action of political figures are often duplicated for others. To suggest that demanding Riordan's resignation will have no impact on other politicians in the future is simply ignorant.
I certainly hope that the outcry does have an impact on other politicians. I hope they learn to think before they speak. I don't think that requiring our so called leaders to have basic respect for all people (even children) is exactly a "witch hunt." He and all politicians (and all people really) need to know this type of behavior is completely unacceptable.

And if you want to talk about setting precedents -- what kind of precedent does allowing him to remain set? You can say whatever you want as long as you say "oops, sorry! I didn't mean that?" Unless she is the most tough-skinned kid alive, she's going to think he meant it (and he very well might have), so the damage has already been done.

And face it, people in the political arena are give the axe all the time for saying the wrong thing, so I don't really see the sippery slope scenario coming to fruition.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:03 AM   #37
Refugee

Location: calm down, cold resides with me. I flee to decemberunderground... as you exhale I breathe in, and sink into the water underground and I'll grow pale without you
I Was Wrong, btw --
Info released today indicated that the child was in fact "white with blond hair" whereas I had insinuated that the child was likely black or hispanic.. blame the Boston cynic in me, but I wanted to clear it up.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:35 AM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
Education Secretary + calling a child "dirty little girl" = wrong man for the job = find another job
I thought he was talking about the meaning of her name, not about her as a person.

It was, at best, a bad joke. The child and the mother of the child have accepted his apology. The rioting villagers should look for their pound of flesh elsewhere.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:51 AM   #39
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
Originally posted by wolfeden
I Was Wrong, btw --
Info released today indicated that the child was in fact "white with blond hair" whereas I had insinuated that the child was likely black or hispanic.. blame the Boston cynic in me, but I wanted to clear it up.

Well, you weren't the only one. The NAACP held a news conference denouncing the Secretary and had planned to protest outside the Capital but called it off....when they discovered she was white.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:11 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

NAACP - "Calling a child a "stupid, dirty girl" is WRONG!!!! We are OUTRAGED!! The Secretary should resign. The govenor should DEMAND his resignation!!!!

Press - Pssst. The little girl is white

NAACP - "Never mind"
Old 07-09-2004, 12:24 PM   #41
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 05:01 AM
nbcrusader:
Old 07-09-2004, 01:37 PM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

The dangers of playing the race card too early

From the
Sacramento Bee:

Quote:
The NAACP and other civil rights groups had planned to attend a Capitol news conference Thursday called by Assemblyman Mervyn Dymally, D-Compton, who was demanding that Riordan step down. Dymally's office abruptly canceled the event, however, after learning that the girl is white.

Dymally, who is African American, was quoted in Thursday's San Jose Mercury News stating that the girl was African American and asking whether Riordan "would ... have done that to a white girl?"
Old 07-09-2004, 02:48 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by wolfeden

Letting a curse word slip in front of a little kid while talking to someone else -- okay, that's an oops, you apologize, you take the heat, life goes on.
unless the FCC overhears it
Old 07-09-2004, 02:56 PM   #44
Refugee

*shakes head*
stupidity is met with....more stupidity.

hopefully people are just as disappointed with this Keystone Kop-like behavior of that chapter of the NAACP and Dymally as with Riordan and Arnie.

*beats head on desk*

heh, you know something, it would have really made a statement if they'd gone ahead with it after the fact...

*mutters about why I ain't a Democrat....*
*wonders if the whole thing was a set-up*
Old 07-09-2004, 02:59 PM   #45
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by oliveu2cm

unless the FCC overhears it
ssh!!!!