Study Shows Ads Boost Drinking Among Young - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 01-05-2006, 02:55 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 10:21 AM
Originally posted by melon
Meh. I think the ads are meaningless. Kids will drink with or without them.

I know kids who don't even have TV or pay much attention to media in general and they drink.

Old 01-05-2006, 03:35 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 12:21 PM
i didn't need a TV to tell me that drinking was fun and made me look cool.

i mean Bono drinks, for heaven's sake!

Old 01-05-2006, 04:00 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 05:21 PM
If I start drinking the second I have a beer in my hand people have their cameras ready knowing that they can send the photos to the Washington Post

I did drink some in Europe this summer just to see what all the fuss was about, it wasn't anything too special, I act just as stupid sober
Old 01-05-2006, 04:31 PM   #19
New Yorker
Local Time: 10:21 AM
Originally posted by nbcrusader

I'll look for the studies, but my guess is that advertising becomes white noise - we hear it, but it doesn't stay in the forefront of our memory. It is not a matter of "having" to buy something; but when given a choice, latent information about a product may be the deciding factor if we realize it or not.

We can always tell ourselves that a purchase is based on our own purely objective desires, but we would simply be ignoring the mass of information that resides within us.
This is very true. This process is referred to as "priming," because advertisers are essentially "planting a seed" in your consumer mind. We may toss the product out of our mind once the ad has run, but the important thing is that the ad is percieved for that 1-minute or so time slot. Low risk/low involvement products, such as toilet paper, toothpaste, laundry detergent etc. don't require gathering large amounts of information before a purchase. The ads surrounding such products are primarily run to increase awareness, not to inform. For these products you may find an ad which is funny or cute, but does not even feature the product itself.

On the other hand, high risk products get the consumer more involved in the purchasing decision... for example car ads are loaded with info (unless it's a car with an "elite" image, i.e. lexus, then the ads may just feature fancy driving shots and little info.)

In the case of ads for alcoholic beverages, what they're really speaking to is a person's desire to fit in, so a relatively low-risk product becomes a bit risky, and advertisers really do play off of the teenagers' desire to fit in, all in the name of sales.

(successful) advertisements are so incredibly calculated and thoughtfully planned out, they're very influential--as Moonlit_Angel said before, ads can't force us to buy anything, and they'll affect us as much as we'll allow them -- but the media is very powerful. To an extent, I think it influences what we buy, because it shapes our perception of reality (good or bad).
Old 01-06-2006, 03:03 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 11:21 AM
Kids and booze......

They all need to grow up