Study Says Eldest Children Have Higher I.Q.s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I have a reasonably high IQ and I'm the middle child, which would make my older brothers geniuses - which would make this whole study a HOUSE OF LIES!

Re: Re: the need to believe

Irvine511 said:
wait a minute ... is this how The Bible works as well!?!?!

more or less

read the Bible

and pray about things
and open your mind to the possibility of it being true

and then (decide) or allow yourself to go with a calm feeling of presence of the spirit

and you can be born again and saved

so ... if i read something, and already know something, and i'm told that what i'm reading is always true, then it will help me better understand what i already know and, in fact, validate it even if i did not previously know it needed validation?

Irvine511 said:
so ... if i read something, and already know something, and i'm told that what i'm reading is always true, then it will help me better understand what i already know and, in fact, validate it even if i did not previously know it needed validation?
/\
too confusing :huh:

just believe

we all need something to believe in

we are creatures that like community
we want to belong

everyone has more or less
accepted this study

we can buy into horoscopes

every person that the Coalition forces kill in Iraq
is Al Qaeda

believe

yolland said:

Since you left out the rest, :wink:

Not that I'm up on this "birth order" stuff, but I didn't realize there was such a thing as a distinct "later born" category. So how do you break it down with a family of 5 like I grew up in, or an even larger family where there are 8 or 10? Which category or categories do you stretch? Of course in the case of the IQ thing, the trend (according to the article) is for it to drop with each sibling...

I'm the eighth of nine brothers and sisters, and although I'm not as smart as my two oldest siblings - who are probably genuis IQ level or close to it - I did very well academically (considerably better than a couple of my other older siblings, in fact). Then there's my younger sister, the baby of the family, who was just OK academically but is an artsy, creative type.

butter7 said:
anything about the only kid of the family? :wink:

You would definitely be smarter than all your non-existent brothers and sisters. :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This does seem accurate in my family. Three kids and in various standardised tests my brother (the oldest) generally scored higher than my sister, who in turn scored higher than me (the youngest).

However, my sister (the middle child) did best in college and has what most people would consider by far the best job (it's certainly the highest paying). My brother, despite by all accounts being very intelligent, is best described as an underachiever. I guess I can be considered that too since, for now at least, I'm eking out a living as an artist. Or maybe that's what I'm supposed to be doing as the baby of the family.... :)

My mom has always said that my IQ is the highest in my family. I have a younger sister and younger brother. My sister got the best grades in both high school and college. She's a ridiculously hard worker. My brother did better than both of us on standardized tests. That drove my sister nuts. :wink: My brother and sister are math/science people whereas I'm a history/english/humanities person. (Except spelling. I am a terrible speller. It's embarrassing really. I'm going to blame it on my dyslexia.) I'm definitely the "pleaser" in my family. Most days however, I'm an idiot. :D

In all seriousness....my little sister is the great student, but I was the one that got the better grades. Her study skills ran circles around mine, but when it comes to raw intelligence, I'm probably smarter than she is. We went to the same elementary school, so the teachers expectations of her were not in line with her abilities, which was hard on her.

She's the one with 2 masters degrees, though, and I could not be prouder.

Most days I'm an idiot. But I have factors weighing in on my mistakes and choices.
I'm definitely the smartest out of my family. That's not saying that my brothers and sister are dumb, but just not as smart as me. Maybe it has to do with my age and that I'm 11 years older than my brother, and 15 years older than my other brother and 19 yrs older than my sister. But I'd say that I was more street smart than book smart, and I just had natural intelligence, and no amount of school (I believe intelligence is something you want- not just taught in school) can bring you more intelligence than others. Street smarts, book smarts and natural intelligence are three separate things.

Why do I feel like I'm the smartest? I think it's because of my difficult upbringing and I had to mature faster- start doing things on my own, like cooking and cleaning when I was about 9 years old. And I learned a LOT of horrific things early on in my life. Stuff my brothers and sister still don't know about. Lucky them they didn't have to deal with abandonment issues, illness and sudden death of a family member, and a whole bunch of issues that I don't have time to get into right now.
My sister is now ten and doesn't even know how to put a load of laundry in. When I was ten, I didn't see my own mother for days at a time. And I lived with her alone.

Plus I had to argue back with decent facts, I was never allowed temper tantrums. In fact, when a grade went below C level, my stereo or my room phone was taken away. My 13 year old brother just got caught smoking pot the other day, and guess what he gets? A cell phone.

:|

I'm the older of 2 kids. I tend to try harder in school then my sister and the result is better grades. She is more street smart, has more friends, and is great at sports. Me, I have a small group of friends, am not good at sports, and read none stop. IQ wise, I think that I may be the smarter of the two.

I am a little bemused by the certainty several people seem to feel that in the absence of IQ tests having been taken by them and all their siblings as adults, nonetheless they still more or less "know" what the outcome would be. I don't mean that critically; it's just I can't personally relate to it at all. I wouldn't be particularly surprised if my family epitomized this "trend" to the letter, on the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if we presented several contradictions to it either. All of us did overall very well in school, all of us did very well on standardized tests (well OK, my next oldest brother was only a somewhat-above-average student, but he had Tourette's and ADHD to contend with, so I don't think it's fair to count him as "representative" of much); all of us have fairly challenging and demanding jobs, though they're certainly not all "glamorous" or lucrative (we all wound up in some kind of human services profession); I wouldn't describe any of us as notably "rebellious" or "exhibitionist", but I wouldn't describe any of us as piously dutiful or "rigid" either. I *think* the 5 of us would probably agree that the oldest (brother) and youngest (sister) are overall the most "intense" and "driven", and that me and my younger brother are the most "thoughtful" and "reflective", but I kind of doubt that ties much into IQ differences per se. The only thing I can think of that *might* point to a somewhat higher IQ is that my oldest brother is just about the funniest person I've ever known, the sort who can keep most any roomful of people in stitches with his running patter of sardonic asides and fey humor. I do tend to think people who are exceptionally funny are most likely exceptionally bright as well--there's a kind of intellectual dexterity required to keep up that pace of lightning-fast witty associations and so on. But that's just a "hunch" really, I have no proof of it.

In addition to being somewhat enamored of the theory of 'multiple intelligences' and awareness that IQ tests are not generally considered reliable predictors of 'success' in life, I guess I probably also have a couple additional reasons why I tend to distrust the emphasis some put on them. One is that I've a pretty good idea that many people I know now would tend to perceive a lot of the people I grew up with as "not very smart", in my view largely because of things those people had no control over--the schools there are generally considered just about the worst in the country; a lot of the older people in particular received only such education as the pre-desegregation "school system" had to offer which was even poorer; many of them have never had the time or money to travel very far from the patch of land they grew up on and so their frame of reference is pretty small; their minds are geared towards a social and economic setting that's in many ways quite different, more "limited" compared to the 'national average' and so on. The other thing is that the 'birth order' model, at least all the versions of it I'm familiar with, seems to wholly overlook the role that parents' favoritism towards some of their children--which has no predictable relationship to birth order, in my experience--might in *some* families have on things like academic or intellectual development. And maybe also what deep touched on--that in some families there's a much larger age gap between some siblings than others and what effect that might have on any of it.

:hmm: And maybe this was more the stuff of a journal entry than a topical post, but oh well...

Last edited:
Irvine511 said:

so all that is true. but there are days when my horoscope is eerie.

and some of us can find the story of our lives
in the random playlist on our ipods.
:wink:

Last edited:
It was not really a question directed to you specifically
for an answer

I just think that each person experiences the Bible and other religious texts, in their own unique way.
and also as they approach religious and/or spiritual matters
they find their own answers.

as for
I doubt
therefore I might be.

that was just my improv signature
for the moment, and not intended to be part and parcel of the reply.

deep said:
It was not really a question directed to you specifically
for an answer

I just think that each person experiences the Bible and other religious texts, in their own unique way.
and also as they approach religious and/or spiritual matters
they find their own answers.

as for

that was just my improv signature
for the moment, and not intended to be part and parcel of the reply.

Got it. :up:

Dun dun DUN...
High intelligence isn't all it's cracked up to be, anyway. I've met plenty of supposedly 'retarded' or 'mentally challenged' people who have plenty more common sense than those who are supposed to be highly intelligent. Really, that number means nothing in the grand scheme of things. I mean, I got into IIT, a supposedly difficult school to get into, just because I said I wanted to go. I mean, I can't do calculus, but I'm damned good at convincing people that I /want/ to do calculus. (see, I can't even spell the word, gives me hives.)

Back
Top Bottom