Study -Cell Phones Are Disrupting Family Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/2005120...HAz70G9j7AB;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MXN1bHE0BHNlYwN0bWE-

That's the unsettling conclusion of a new study that found the increased use of these communication commandos is bringing job worries home, stressing out the family lives of men and women alike.

The study limited the blame to cell phones and pages, and not computer-based communication such as e-mail. Cell phones and pagers were linked to increased psychological distress and reduced family satisfaction for both sexes.

But only women experience the opposite effect -- home problems and worries intruding into their work life as cell phones and pagers keep them on call nearly 24/7, the study found

I hate mine....I am gonna go throw that sucker in a snow bank right now:angry:

brb.....*storms off

I remember reading an article a couple of years ago about horrible cell phone etiquette-people were asked about their worst cell phone experience. Someone talked about seeing a person at a wake going up to view the body and describing it over a cell phone :|

That's disgusting! (I mean about describing the dead body over the phone.)

What did we ever do before cell phones, anyway? :wink:

What drives me crazy is when people will be in the public restroom in a stall doing their business--and then answer the phone when it rings. Who wants to listen to you take a piss?

Come on now.....if we did not have cellphones....what would we do with all those microwave towers???? I like the ones which resemble trees.....it's a challenge to see if you can recognize them.......it's like a game....they keep them hidden so you don't know they exist.......but then maybe they don't exist.....or do they especially during a hurricane.

Don't take the fun out of living......long live the cell phone!!!

:happy:

Has anyone noticed how whenever a driver cuts you off or just
does something really dangerous and dumb while driving they're
always on a freakin cell phone!

omg! The tree towers:lmao: those things are so dumb!

We have one on top of a mtn that was logged...now it looks like there is just one big huge friggen fake christams tree sticking up:lmao: its so natural:lmao:

its funny, if it was a tower people would see it and go...oh, a cell tower...but now people almost drive off the road looking at it and going "wtf is that!" :lmao:

Re: reply

wizard2c said:
Come on now.....if we did not have cellphones....what would we do with all those microwave towers???? I like the ones which resemble trees.....it's a challenge to see if you can recognize them.......it's like a game....they keep them hidden so you don't know they exist.......but then maybe they don't exist.....or do they especially during a hurricane.

I support an engineering group for a wireless provider. You would be amazed at the number of stealth configurations we use.

As for the fake trees, they are easy to spot, especially in Southern California. Just look for the green palm tree (the others turn brown when dry).

My family is almost cell-less. I've never owned a phone or any type of mobile device (PDA, pager, etc). My dad has a cell, but it's company-issued so he can't make any personal calls and it usually stays on it's cradle in his car (he also has a company car and is not allowed to hold a phone device while driving).

I'm so sick of friends answering phones when I'm talking to them, or phones going off at movies, at a quiet restaurant, during class, or I'll be listening to music in the car and then Phil makes a call and just turns it down....they're so annoying to me I can't come up with a reason for me to have one. If I need to make a long distance call, I do it at work (if I can get away with it) or from school with my PAC code that charges the call to my account.

I agree, I don't like the idea of contantly taking your job home with you via the cell phone. Even with local service and the few people that call me, I don't answer our house phone unless I'm expecting the call.

The ones that annoy me more than anything are the people who take calls at the grocery store. They're in line in front of you, SCREAMING into the phone, having the most private conversations (usually consisting of a husband/wife screaming at their spouse about something) about 20 decibels louder than they need to.

anitram said:
The ones that annoy me more than anything are the people who take calls at the grocery store. They're in line in front of you, SCREAMING into the phone, having the most private conversations (usually consisting of a husband/wife screaming at their spouse about something) about 20 decibels louder than they need to.

You should simply interrupt them by crying out "we all can´t understand what we´re saying, turn the volume of your voice down (depending on the person you can add whatever you like)".

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
My family is almost cell-less. I've never owned a phone or any type of mobile device (PDA, pager, etc). My dad has a cell, but it's company-issued so he can't make any personal calls and it usually stays on it's cradle in his car (he also has a company car and is not allowed to hold a phone device while driving).

I'm so sick of friends answering phones when I'm talking to them, or phones going off at movies, at a quiet restaurant, during class, or I'll be listening to music in the car and then Phil makes a call and just turns it down....they're so annoying to me I can't come up with a reason for me to have one. If I need to make a long distance call, I do it at work (if I can get away with it) or from school with my PAC code that charges the call to my account.

I agree, I don't like the idea of contantly taking your job home with you via the cell phone. Even with local service and the few people that call me, I don't answer our house phone unless I'm expecting the call.

Hah, we´re similar. I´ve never owned a cellphone. Partly for health reasons, partly because I worked for cellphone companies myself so I know in which ways they´re ripping people off. And I don´t want to be always available. If you think I need it for work, ok. Get me one. At home, I use my normal phone, at work I usually have an extension, everyone can reach me very quickly per email, and who needs to talk to me when I´m going out? Ok, except of a couple of people who want to meet me, but have forgotten how to fix a certain date at a certain time at a certain place (ok... just come to the club.. ring me up when you´re there :rolleyes: )

I´m just the same pissed off like you about certain communication habits, however I think there´s nothing to do, you got to adopt, we´re living in a new millenium thats it. It makes no sense to be angry with my friend because he interrupts our conversation because he gets a damn SMS. We can´t understand what is so important for them, but trust me, to them it is important to read it right then and reply. Cell phone users have established a different way of communication, most of them say "they couldn´t live without it" after they owned it a couple of weeks (which is really weird, reminds me of drugs).

And you know, my friends usually say "sorry, wait a moment" (or excuse after the call) - that´s polite and so it´s not an issue.

Did you get the latest ringtone? Really, it amuses me when I see how people pay for ringtones. I got no problem with it, the music industry needs new sources of income anyway, but I mean, how can you pay for a ringtone?

Last edited:
In my not so humble experience, cell phones are quite unnecessary. I briefly used one and now don't. Reason?

Most people who use cellphones, when you ring them, the phone is set to take messages because the person is 'busy' (on the road/in a meeting/in the toilet). Better to just dispense with the bullshit and call their regular number. Fact is, NOBODY is available 24/7 and that is the main reason given to use these atrocious machines.

I can understand the need for cellphones, but I hate how rude people are on them. I do not need to hear your private conversation about you fucking some guy and then stealing his bag of weed while I'm on the number 15 bus.

Most cellphones are used by posers, people feel they are more important if seen talking on the bloody thing. They have a purpose if you like being chained to your workplace or emergencys.

I really would like to slap the people who are walking with someone while talking to someone else on a cell ignoring the person they are with physically.

I don't have a problem with cellphones, mine's so cheap that I don't even have a regular phone anymore. And if I don't want people to be able to reach me, I simply don't answer it or I turn off the phone. Simple isn't it? :wink:

Golightly Grrl said:
I do not need to hear your private conversation about you fucking some guy and then stealing his bag of weed while I'm on the number 15 bus.

:lol:

DrTeeth said:
mine's so cheap that I don't even have a regular phone anymore

Thats why I thought of switching sometimes. On the other hand, calling friends in Jamaica or.. wherever abroad, must be very expensive.

I like Voice over IP, Skype works ok.

DrTeeth said:
I don't have a problem with cellphones, mine's so cheap that I don't even have a regular phone anymore. And if I don't want people to be able to reach me, I simply don't answer it or I turn off the phone. Simple isn't it? :wink:

Yep. I don't understand people who complain that they are so tied up by having a cell phone. When I do not wish to be disturbed I simply turn mine off. It amazes me that so many people don't seem to realise the damned things have an off button.

I have one for my convenience, and I use it as such. Generally I have the least expensive plan and I don't give out the number to many people.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

Thats why I thought of switching sometimes. On the other hand, calling friends in Jamaica or.. wherever abroad, must be very expensive.

That's one of the main reasons I still keep my landline phone. I get a much better rate on international calls using a landline phone and a calling card than I do with a cell phone.

Plus cell phones are kinda dicey when calling 911, so that's something to think about.

nbcrusader said:
Cell phones and mobile email devises are just big leashes.

Connectivity comes at a price.

I agree, crusader. I still don't have a cell phone or PDA and I have a competition going with another friend to see who can go the longest without either.

Sometimes I think it would be convenient (and I do use other people's cell phones occasionally), but I haven't really had any problems at all. I enjoy being unreachable sometimes.

DrTeeth said:

Same...why all the cellphone hate? :scratch:

It's cheaper for us not to have a homephone at all, and they can be really useful to have.

Back
Top Bottom