Studies shatter myth about abuse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
[Q]Studies shatter myth about abuse
By Karen S. Peterson, USA TODAY
WASHINGTON ? It is not just men who hit women. Women hit men, too. And the latest research shows that ignoring the role women play in domestic violence does both women and men a disservice. [/Q]

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2003-06-22-abuse-usat_x.htm

I'm not posting this to slam women, nor do I post it to say violence by men is worse than violence by women. I post it because domestic violence is domestic violence no matter who is doing it. The article itself is an interesting read and it very well may be the first time I have seen anything published about domestic violence committed by women and men.

Last edited:
By the way, just for future reference: Dread has hit on a good way to deal with discussing long articles. Everyone might want to consider quoting just the first sentence or two of the article in question, and then provide the link if people want to read the whole thing. It saves space and bandwidth.

See Angela Harlem's excellent and timely thread on this subject:

http://forum.interference.com/t78653.html

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Its true that this becoming a newer way of looking at it. Previously, the misconceptions existed that 1. women being typically physically weaker were more prone to abuse. 2. that what physical harm a woman may try to inflict is not categorised the same way, example a woman slapping her partner is not considered the same as a man doing the same. 3. women cannot really inflict any kind of real harm to a man due to size and other factors.

Of course, these aren't necessarily true, and definately aren't in some cases. Unfortunately in the past, there has also existed the stigma of a man speaking up about a violent partner, due to social stereotyping and the like. The sooner these stereotypes vanish from our perceptions, the better.

Back
Top Bottom