Students Suspended For Wearing 9/11 And First Amendment T-Shirts - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2006, 05:34 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:30 AM
Students Suspended For Wearing 9/11 And First Amendment T-Shirts

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...WS02/609130320

Ben Lewandowski says he was only trying to be patriotic when he wore a homemade T-shirt featuring an American flag bumper sticker and the words "Remember 9/11" to Lincoln Park High School on Monday.

After all, it was Sept. 11 -- five years after the terrorist attacks.

The 17-year-old Lincoln Park resident put the shirt on Monday morning and headed to school -- where he was quickly sent to the office and suspended for three days for violating the school's dress code.

He was one of at least seven students sent home for wearing shirts featuring patriotic images and messages. It comes less than a week after three siblings were suspended for wearing shirts emblazoned with the First Amendment, despite warnings, and a week after more than 200 students were sent home on the first day of school for violating the district's dress code -- which bans apparel with writing or pictures...

...According to the dress code, students are allowed to wear school-sanctioned clothing, such as T-shirts bearing the school's mascot or clothing that supports school organizations.

This, according to the ACLU of Michigan, may violate the students' rights, particularly because it allows students to wear clothing that encourages school spirit but bans other forms of expression. ACLU officials have said that they plan to look into the constitutionality of the dress code.

Kite said the district had lawyers review the policy before it was enacted. Members of the district's school board have said the dress code is lenient compared with other districts such as Detroit and Pontiac, which have banned jeans and T-shirts completely.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:43 PM   #2
Jesus Online

Local Time: 02:30 AM
Dont you love it when people overreact to an overreaction?

Old 09-13-2006, 07:52 PM   #3
Blue Crack Distributor

if the school district has a stated dress code then that's that. you're either complient with the dress code or you aren't, no matter how positive or negative whatever message you have written on your shirt.

to me all this is is a couple of teenagers who didn't like the new dress code, thought they were clever, and had the local press blow it out of proportion.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:21 PM   #4
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
if the school district has a stated dress code then that's that. you're either complient with the dress code or you aren't, no matter how positive or negative whatever message you have written on your shirt.

to me all this is is a couple of teenagers who didn't like the new dress code, thought they were clever, and had the local press blow it out of proportion.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:23 PM   #5
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
This, according to the ACLU of Michigan, may violate the students' rights, particularly because it allows students to wear clothing that encourages school spirit but bans other forms of expression. ACLU officials have said that they plan to look into the constitutionality of the dress code.
I wonder what all those conservatives who scream ACLU is evil think about this?
Old 09-13-2006, 10:58 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

um...a dress code is a dress code. I had the same dress code at my job - plain business casual, no logos unless it was the college's name/logo.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:03 PM   #7
Jesus Online

Local Time: 02:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

that's right. do the practical and sensible thing and send them home. suspending students for 3 days over wearing a t-shirt is excessive. then their ringing the aclu and dragging the constitution into it is simply using the opportunity for a nice juicy shitfight. doesn't everyone feel energised when they get all up in arms over sweet bugger all?
Old 09-13-2006, 11:06 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

This and other stuff (all over) is why I always vote Libertarian in U.S. elections.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is a government big enough to take everything away from you."

~Barry Goldwater
Old 09-13-2006, 11:15 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem

that's right. do the practical and sensible thing and send them home. suspending students for 3 days over wearing a t-shirt is excessive.
i thought a 3 day suspension for a uniform violation was excessive myself, until i saw this

Quote:
It comes less than a week after three siblings were suspended for wearing shirts emblazoned with the First Amendment, despite warnings, and a week after more than 200 students were sent home on the first day of school for violating the district's dress code
because of this incident on the first day of school im sure the school decided to inact the 3 day suspension rule in order to prevent future incidents. but the little shit disturbers thought theyd push the limit by wearing a patriotic shirt on 9/11 to see if the school would really suspend them for that. well the school did as they should have.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:35 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

this was from later in the article...

Quote:
Kelly Galley agrees. Her three children -- 13-year-old twins Monique and Jaicen Massa and 11-year-old Jaymie Massa -- were suspended last week for protesting the dress code by wearing T-shirts with the First Amendment on them. Jaymie had stayed home from Lincoln Park Middle School on Tuesday, but Monique and Jaicen wore the shirts again -- their third offense -- and were suspended again, this time for five days. One more offense and they'll be expelled.

Galley said it's likely she'll end up homeschooling.
come on, its a stupid dress code, a lenient one in which you can still wear jeans and a tshirt. how much do you want to bet that the mom was behind the whole "protest" in the first place? and now her kids will get expelled, sweet.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:36 PM   #11
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by the iron horse
This and other stuff (all over) is why I always vote Libertarian in U.S. elections.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is a government big enough to take everything away from you."

~Barry Goldwater
Did I miss something? Was this a governmental issued dress code?
Old 09-14-2006, 09:41 AM   #12
Blue Crack Distributor

facts are facts... in the business world you are expected to adhire to a specific dress code. if you don't like that, you'll either get fired or won't get the job in the first place.

the earlier kids learn this the better... and that's only the tip of the ice berg on the uniform issue.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:41 AM   #13
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:30 AM

The news in Detroit has been heavily covering the Detroit teachers strike, which seems to finally be over. After a judge had earlier ordered them back to class though, they didn't return. One of them said, "Just because something is law doesn't mean it's right."

I know Lincoln Park isn't one of the school areas that was affected by the strike...but I just think it's really funny that a student gets in trouble for violating a strict dress code to merely be patriotic on such a sad anniversary, yet those Detroit teachers all got away with not following a court order just because they didn't think it was right.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 09-14-2006, 11:49 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Hmm, interesting Bonochick. Good point you have there I think. I do have to wonder why an exception can't be made for 9/11, I suppose it just opens it up for all kinds of possible exceptions.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:30 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem

that's right. do the practical and sensible thing and send them home. suspending students for 3 days over wearing a t-shirt is excessive. then their ringing the aclu and dragging the constitution into it is simply using the opportunity for a nice juicy shitfight. doesn't everyone feel energised when they get all up in arms over sweet bugger all?
I agree.