Students: First Amendment Goes Too Far

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
democracy cannot function without a free press.

i can hear the Founding Fathers rolling over in their graves (they've been doing this quite a bit these past 4 years). trust me, i can hear them, i live in DC.

From the article:

"Thirty-two percent of the students interviewed said the press has too much freedom. Furthermore, 17 percent said people should not be allowed to express unpopular opinions."

I agree Irvine511, this is some bad news for a democracy.
It is not only bad news, but a scary thought that some people are thinking that free speech should be repressed.

1984 or Brave New World?

this is a sad, sad, scarey survey. :madspit:

But i would be interested in finding out the breakdown of people questioned location/income etc.

if it turned out to be in areas that were mostly very conervative/neo-con or supporting neo-cons, or in very rightwing-Christian Conservatives-- then at least we know more of those folks might be inclined to that kind of thinking anyway....
Then the poll would be rather skewarded.

Jus trying to save a little time in my library netACESS......irving, read your stuff on the new special liscense plate.... yeah, I know what it's really trying to and and ppfffhhhpphhht to that.

Children of the post 9/11 America. This is exactly what so many have tried to condition society to believe. Apparently they're suceeding.

If you don't believe, you don't have to look further than in here.

Interesting that students arrive at these conclusions in a day and age where they have access to more information than ever before....

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Children of the post 9/11 America. This is exactly what so many have tried to condition society to believe. Apparently they're suceeding.

If you don't believe, you don't have to look further than in here.

Yep, I agree totally. Very discouraging.

Well, let me put it this way. Ask most people if "freedom of speech" should be supported, they will say "yes." But then start talking about unpopular forms of "free speech," like flag burning and hate speech, then you'll start hearing how they should be banned.

We should be teaching people how to accept speech that they don't want to hear.

Melon

I love hearing stuff that I don't agree with so I can say "man, you are such a dick".

:wink:

melon said:
Well, let me put it this way. Ask most people if "freedom of speech" should be supported, they will say "yes." But then start talking about unpopular forms of "free speech," like flag burning and hate speech, then you'll start hearing how they should be banned.

We should be teaching people how to accept speech that they don't want to hear.

Melon

A bit on in the same vein...in the breakdown of this survey students were asked if musicians who had had lyrics which might offend others should be allowed to sing/recored/distribute them, and something like 70% of the students said yes (compared to only about 50% of principals, teachers, and generic adults). Interesting how they couldn't make the connection between general free speech and free speach they liked...

Of course, come to think of it, neither did their elders. :shrug:

misiek said:
less gov't = better, more efficient gov't

I'd say that's a logical stretch. Less government just means less government. It will also probably start neglecting average folk in favor of special interests.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom