Student Faces Criminal Charges, Dropped By Marines For Essay - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2007, 11:27 AM   #16
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:51 PM
That was rude indra, don't go inviting a fight over nothing.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 04-30-2007, 11:27 AM   #17
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:51 PM
Re: Re: Re: Student Faces Criminal Charges, Dropped By Marines For Essay

Quote:
Originally posted by LJT

I think all the kid can be accused of is crap writing...I mean should the writers of the Saw movies, for instance, be all sent to get psychiatric help?
That is a pretty fine point, I must say. I like the Saw movies, but if there was some high schooler who aspired to be a filmmaker, and a script he'd written of that nature was found...yeah, that wouldn't go over well.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 04-30-2007, 11:43 AM   #18
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

As I said I think you have to look for a consistency in style...if it's all the kid is writing, and if similar themes are in each piece, and also if there are indicators outside of a person's writing......then some counselling may be recommended.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:47 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
That was rude indra, don't go inviting a fight over nothing.
It wasn't meant to be rude. No fight intended. It was a serious question. Think about it -- Mrs. Springsteen posts often about sexual hassassment on here (not harrassment on this board, but about it, and on this board). There are people in this world -- some of them employers -- who might very well look at that and think "whoa! I don't want to hire her, she could be trouble." That's what I meant by being considered a ball buster. I mean, really if someone can be denied a degree (or a teaching certificate) because of a Halloween picture, do you really think there aren't people who would find (even not officially) reason not to hire her (or any of us) for the views she (and all of us too) posts on here?
Old 04-30-2007, 11:47 AM   #20
Forum Moderator

As for Mr. Lee's case, I think it's definitely an overreaction...I can understand the case Bonochick mentioned because that involved a direct threat, and I also think it's appropriate as far as it goes for creative writing instructors to discuss it with administrators if they suspect a student's writing underscores psychological problems that shouldn't be ignored, but equating results like Mr. Lee's from one "no boundaries" creative assignment with criminal disorderly conduct seems unnervingly over-the-top, unless there was a lot more to it than what that article mentions. Even Cho Seung-Hui's Virginia Tech professors emphasized that it was a pattern of apparently rage-fueled violent writing PLUS abnormal behavior in person that motivated them to take action, not simply the turning in of one gruesome or highly vulgar assignment, which as several of them pointed out happens often enough.

The MySpace case seems ridiculous also, but this isn't the first time we've seen stories of teachers fired for conduct that wasn't criminal and had nothing to do with their professional roles.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 04-30-2007, 12:42 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:51 PM
I think indra brings up an outstanding point, at least from the point of view of my field of work.

Since I work in IT and web design and have a degree concentrated on public relations and marketing, I'm very very aware and careful of everything I post online on any site or journal. Most of my co-workers are aware of my Photo Journal and other sites. Part of the reason why I changed my username here was because of the Interference article that went up that had my full name and my username in the same sentence. I Google myself every once in a while and make sure all the hits are legit and things that I wouldn't mind employers or future employers seeing. In fact, I throw my name very small at the bottom of all of my sites so that they can see my work coming up on Google. I operate under the assumption that my boss could easily be reading this post. I've sort of gotten used to this since my mom and my aunts read my blog, my husband and my best friends are Interferencers, so I can't really talk shit about people and expect to get away with it, just like in "real life".
Old 04-30-2007, 01:27 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:51 PM
I wonder, too, how much recent events will impact the role of creative writing courses in students' college education. My degree will be in English with an emphasis on creative writing; my dissertation is a novel, and I'm already getting very frustrated by the look I get from other academics, as if my work is "neat," but not necessarily meant to be taken seriously. And really I feel like that's the way many academics and administrators feel about creative writing as a discipline.

Creative writing makes students pay attention to both the world around them and their inner world in a way that no other class ever will. Students let things come out in their creative writing that they wouldn't ever let slip in a critical essay. Their insecurities, their fears, their frustrations, experiences that have traumatized them. Granted, I get quite a few lousy stories and poems about huge parties and puppy love and things like that, but I challenge those students to dig deeper. I don't censor my students, though I do tell them that gratuitous sex/violence/bad language/drug or alcohol use etc. needs to serve a purpose in the story, and that it can't just be for shock value. It can't just be a way of trying to distract readers from the fact that the piece doesn't have substance. I've never had a student whose work has made me uncomfortable. I've suggested counseling to several students based on the feelings they expressed in their writing, but nothing beyond that.

It's always interesting to me to see what students reveal in their writing that they don't realize, too. For instance, if a student's characters do or say something that seems racist, homophobic, sexist, or otherwise discriminatory, I mark the passage and ask a question about it. Sometimes the student intends that and uses it in the story (showing the consequences of such action or speech), but often a student has no idea he or she is writing in a way that could be deemed offensive.

Ideally, students will learn from that moment and will look more closely at the way they think of others. I think creative writing encourages that kind of self-examination. In a time when it seems like we fear differences, I think it's not only valuable but necessary for students to examine their values and their understanding of the world in this way.

I'll put my soap box away now