Strategic points

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

speedracer

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I've been reading a bit about the specific military strategies the coalition is using. I'll try to dig up references as I have time.

It seems like the coalition's basic strategy was to go for the jugular immediately. Bomb all the major military targets in Baghdad, then send in the ground troops on what is essentially an all-out sprint to the city. The troops have not spent a whole lot of time or effort on securing and occupying the cities on the road to Baghdad (Umm Qasr, Basra).

There are reports that the Iraqi 51th infantry division, rumored to have surrendered, is actually putting up strong resistance in Basra.

It is very possible that this strategy could backfire. As the troops are marching toward Baghdad, Iraqi troops or guerrilla bands could cut off the coalition supply chain or hit them from behind.

It seems like it would be prudent for the coalition to slow down a bit and take care of business before proceeding further. This means occupying Umm Qasr, Basra and other cities, rounding up Iraqi POWs (for real), and most importantly, making sure humanitarian aid reaches the occupied regions.

yes,

better to go slow

and keep our casualties as low as possible and Iraqis deaths, too.

Much better to take five or six weeks instead of 5-6 days.

In America we are impatient.

Back
Top Bottom