straight ticket ballot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
Any Americans planning on or considering voting straight ticket (either way) and not afraid to admit it?

I am, because I disagree strongly with the Republican Party platform. I don't agree with the entire Democratic Party platform, but I agree with much more of it that the GOP's.

Yeah, see, my mom was explaining to me all the issues yesterday (the local stuff I mean). I told her all the people I already knew I was voting for and she said they were all of the same party so if I was unsure of the other candidates, I could vote straight ticket. My mom says she won't vote straight ticket because if there's a position she doesn't know about or care about, often she'll vote for the woman candidate regardless of her party. I think I'd rather vote for my party than my gender.

We have two proposals that are kinda confusing because it's like you vote "NO" if you support homosexuals' right to marry and such. So like if you were thinking "YES", homosexuals can marry, you're actually voting "YES" the constitution should be ammended to outlaw it. :huh:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

We have two proposals that are kinda confusing because it's like you vote "NO" if you support homosexuals' right to marry and such. So like if you were thinking "YES", homosexuals can marry, you're actually voting "YES" the constitution should be ammended to outlaw it. :huh:

Yeah, I notice that in the language of a lot of proposals. Many are so confusing that most voters have no idea what they are voting for (or against). I think it's often done on purpose, not just to confuse voters, but to also give wiggle room to be able to cover more aspects of whatever the proposal is about.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Who decides how these proposals are written?

Special interest groups and their lawyers.

California's ballot is filled with a number of confusing initiatives, many of which are designed to do one thing, when they have significant hidden consequences.

I'll be voting a straight ticket -- little weird because this is the first time I'll be doing that. As for the initiatives, the Vote NYC site is down -- grrrr.

I just voted and saw the straight-ticket option and read a little of it while waiting on line (or is it in line?).
I think hubby mentioned he saw no problem with it last night, that he might do it, just straight-ticket.
But firstly, I loved loved loved looking at all the choices on my ballot. I didn't want to make people late for stuff, but I wanted to connect all the lines individually and feel that.
I also just didn't know who to vote for in some races, and didn't feel comfy going with the dem (there I gave it away..) in all the races somehow. When I checked out my non-partisan local voter guide I saw what the candidates in many of the cases had to say, and I saw that the dem candidate was the one I wanted, but I still felt the need to make that on a case by case basis.

I felt bad actually for not educating myself enough prior to today to make a choice in an important local election, for city mayor.
So, I just didn't vote in that race. There were some races for judges I didn't vote in either. Oddly, I filled in my little line when someone (all dems, reflecting a lot about where I live!)

cheers all!

I don't know if there was a full straight ticket option on my lever machine, which is fine because I loved the ability of pushing down each lever.

Not me. I'm voting for Kerry, and for our governor, Matheson. Both democrats. But most of the others are Republican. For instance, I'm voting for Bob Bennet, Republican, for U.S. Senate.

Oddly, I filled in my little line when someone (all dems, reflecting a lot about where I live!)

cheers all!

duh, I meant to say I filled in my little line (connecting the two from one side to the other...a very intuitive to me anyway method for balloting) when someone ran unopposed. I sorta felt like since they were gonna win anyway I might as well make them feel like someone actually *made* that happen. It must feel shitty to feel elected and chosen-by-nobody at the same time...

cheers again!

I voted for the Republican candidate for State Auditor General.

I still can't believe I didn't vote for (Sen. Arlen) Specter (R-PA). I was planning on it the whole time. But I was in the booth, and (Joe) Hoeffel's name was right next to Kerry's...and I guess I figured it didn't much matter, because Specter is polling so far out in front it's not even funny.

For the first time in my voting history, since 1972 - I voted a straight Democratic ticket.
I have such strong convictions aganist this administration that I just could not vote for anyone who represents or supports this adminstrations ideology and or policies.
That's just the way it is... and I have no problem stating it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom