stopping the chaos--?? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2003, 12:11 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:05 AM
stopping the chaos--??

This thread is not a debate thread. Rather, it is to get opinions on what we should do to stop the horrific looting and chaos in Baghdad, Basra and other cities. This stuff is hurting everyone concerned, particularly, of course, the people who live in these towns, most of whom are not involved in the looting and chaos but are certainly affected by it. What should be done by who? This stuff is really scaring me. Can you imagine what it's like to have a mess like this on your doorstep?

Old 04-11-2003, 12:32 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:05 AM
Thatīs a good question, verte76. I donīt have any satisfying answer what should be done. I think it would be great if UN peace enforcement and help organizations could get there to help, but thatīs not an answer to the problem about what to do now, at the very moment.

Old 04-11-2003, 12:53 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

In some town in the north (I think) they even blew up the market. Men with guns are all over the place. This has got to be stopped. You can't expect people to live with this.
Old 04-11-2003, 01:55 PM   #4
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 02:05 AM
Maybe we could ask the both responsible war parties to ensure safety in the part they control?

That's what international law says and it seems to me the only practical sollution.

(Both war parties have to ensure safety and health of the civilists under their control)

Klaus
Old 04-11-2003, 02:04 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

As Kofi Annan said yesterday, there isn't any longer a functioning government in Iraq, so it's unrealistic to expect there to be some sort of Iraqi police or military force able to enforce order. Given that, it has to be the responsibility of some external party to ensure the safety and security of the Iraqi people. You could argue that it's the responsibility of the US and UK troops to do so, as they're the ones who created the instability in the first place (and yes, I realise it's debateable whether it was a good thing because it got rid of Saddam) and so should bear responsibility for restoring stability. On the other hand, maybe it would be better for the Iraqi people if there was an international peace-keeping force able to restore some sort of order before a government can be formed and then a police or military force to maintain the peace.

Also, it's essential that aid agencies are able to get into Iraq immediately, as there are still millions of people who are short of food and clean water and in need of healthcare. But of course it's difficult for aid agencies to operate in such unstable circumstances.

So...I'm not really sure. I just think that what the people of Iraq are living through now must be a nightmare and something has to be done to help them as soon as possible.
Old 04-11-2003, 02:18 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Yes, it's in the Geneva Conventions that the occupying force has to provide security for the people. So the U.S. and British military has to start acting as a police force, or at least part of it does. They just can't let this chaos continue. I don't think it's legal.
Old 04-11-2003, 04:52 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
Yes, it's in the Geneva Conventions that the occupying force has to provide security for the people. So the U.S. and British military has to start acting as a police force, or at least part of it does. They just can't let this chaos continue. I don't think it's legal.
I think the world has forgotten about the Geneva Convention.
Old 04-11-2003, 05:01 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars

I think the world has forgotten about the Geneva Convention.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr...................
Old 04-13-2003, 05:23 PM   #9
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
UNESCO asks the US military to protect Iraq culture goods ater the looting of archeological by museum the national library has catched fire today

Klaus
Old 04-13-2003, 10:26 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

OMG!!! What is this about the National Library? I work in a library. Oh, please, pass the Advil and let me call my shrink. This is too much.
Old 04-16-2003, 04:09 AM   #11
Refugee

Quote:
This morning, the ashes were still smoldering at the Ministry for Religious Affairs, where a building housing thousands of Korans, many of them illuminated and hand written, several a thousand years old, had been burned to a charred shell. It was another severe blow to Iraq's 10,000 years of cultural history, along with the looting of the National Museum and the burning of the National Library, in which countless priceless artifacts and books were lost.

"When Baghdad fell to the Mongols in 1258, these books survived," said Abdel Karim Anwar Obeid, 42, the ministry's general manager for administration. "And now they didn't survive. You can't put a price on this loss.
from todays NYTimes
Old 04-16-2003, 09:44 AM   #12
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:05 PM
Hiya Verte, there's a thread on this incident here:
http://forum.interference.com/showth...threadid=75712

I haven't merged this, as yours is more a general discussion on what can be done. I'll merge if they both get too similar.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:36 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Oh, no, now they've destroyed manuscripts of *Korans*. This is yet another chapter in a sickening episode of cultural destruction. I can't believe it. These things survived the Mongol attack of 1258 but not the present madness. Pass the chicken soup and the Prozac, please.
Old 04-17-2003, 07:33 AM   #14
Refugee

Quote:
And the British Museum wants to see a stop to the legal acquisition of looted items and ensure their return to Iraq. Such a declaration would follow the precedent set after World War II when art looted by the Nazis had to be returned to its owners.
snippet from BBC "UN sends antiquities experts to Iraq"

Maybe that helps to get some percent of the looted antiquities.?

Klaus Article
Old 04-17-2003, 11:41 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus

Maybe that helps to get some percent of the looted antiquities.?

Klaus Article[/URL]
Gosh, I hope so. This is a very positive development. I'm glad the British are supporting Iraqi/Sumerian/Mesopotamian culture. Also, international scholars are setting up some sort of network to try to get the looted antiquities back to Baghdad. U.S. scholars are involved with this. Hopefully some of these can be tracked down. They did get some of the stuff back from the Nazis. Here's wishing them some luck getting these things back. It's going to be tough for them to do anything with that "Gilgamesh" text. Hopefully that will be back in Baghdad before long.