Sticks and stones will break my bones... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2005, 09:20 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:17 PM
It's a fairly meaningless saying, just like when "retarded" became "handicapped" became "mentally impaired" became "intellectually challenged."

In other words, the adage has probably lived out its usefulness.

Melon

Old 08-04-2005, 10:45 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
It's a fairly meaningless saying, just like when "retarded" became "handicapped" became "mentally impaired" became "intellectually challenged."

In other words, the adage has probably lived out its usefulness.

Melon
This happens quite a lot.

war on terror --> struggle against extremism

Just meaningless phrases that instill just enough fear on people to make them fear, but also covers their own arses in case things don't go the way they want them to.

But back to the topic, I strongly believe that words are much more hurtful than 'sticks and stones'. Being a minority i can relate...

Old 08-05-2005, 12:29 AM   #18
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal
luckily kids aren't that mean to me...they're fake nice so that they can get me to do all the work on a project or so they can cheat off me. generally I just roll my eyes and tell them to fuck off, it works quite well.
I had the same sort of experiences. And telling them to fuck off generally worked except for the one bastard who tried to cheat off my test, and then caught me on the playground and beat me up 'cause I wouldn't let him (and he was three years older and I'm a girl) (and the little shit got off scott free).

Sometimes the physical is worse than the psychological--but not very often. That's the only physical attack that I can really remember; but I remember the name calling with great clarity.

I think the point of the saying is to try to remember that what they think or say doesn't matter; to let it go and try not to let their pettiness fuck your life up.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:56 AM   #19
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:17 PM
I think words are worse than sticks and stones. Mean loud people who talk behind someones back in an attempt to cause trouble or use name calling can cause more problems than a quick fist fight. A fight ends but words can continue to harm. Back in the day, when I was growing up, I had a lot of dates and guys calling me. Other girls did not like this and began spreding things around which were not true. These lies they told still hurt today.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:02 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Maggie1
Back in the day, when I was growing up, I had a lot of dates and guys calling me. Other girls did not like this and began spreding things around which were not true. These lies they told still hurt today.
Grr.. I hate it when girls attack each other out of jealousy. Girls can be particularly nasty with their words to other girls at times.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:25 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

I think words are far more hurtful that physical pain..that's why there's a term 'verbal abuse'

It's far easier said than done to not let what is said to you by others define and hurt you. it's like a tape that repeats in your head whenever you feel good about yourself. I think it's just easier for some people to deal with than it is for others.

I think the most painful thing is when it comes from people who are supposed to love and support you and make you feel good about yourself, not badly. If it comes from people you don't care about or feel negatively about, it's much easier to deal with.