Steve Spurrier Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Bama

Rock n' Roll Doggie
See ya later, VISOR-BOY!!!!! And THANKS for the memories!!!!!

3333435523232%7Ffp7%3Enu%3D3235%3E4%3B6%3E372%3EWSNRCG%3D323237898%3B586nu0mrj

3333435523232%7Ffp7%3Enu%3D3235%3E4%3B6%3E372%3EWSNRCG%3D3232378993879nu0mrj

And some shots from this year's upset at the hands of Achtung Bubba's Auburn Tigers:

"Well, Rex (Grossman), we won't win any Heismans playing like this!"
3333438%3B23232%7Ffp7%3Enu%3D3235%3E4%3B6%3E372%3EWSNRCG%3D323237899%3A544nu0mrj

The expression in this photo sums up his statement today in his resignation announcement: "I'm not burned out, stressed out or mentally fatigued from coaching."

3333438%3B23232%7Ffp7%3Enu%3D3235%3E4%3B6%3E372%3EWSNRCG%3D3232378998%3B64nu0mrj

Well, kudos to you, Steve, on a job well done!

3333438%3B23232%7Ffp7%3Enu%3D3235%3E4%3B6%3E372%3EWSNRCG%3D3232378999%3B4%3Bnu0mrj

Maybe your NFL team will always "play like champions."

s_spurrier_ht.jpg

Roll Tide.

Funny you should post the Drummin Denny Green pic, zonelistener. His vacated Vikings job was one of the posts mentioned as a Spurrier destination down here, until everyone realized that Minnesota is much too cold for Spurrier.

~U2Alabama

Originally posted by U2Bama:
Funny you should post the Drummin Denny Green pic, zonelistener. His vacated Vikings job was one of the posts mentioned as a Spurrier destination down here, until everyone realized that Minnesota is much too cold for Spurrier.

~U2Alabama

I know! I thought it would be appropriate. I bet he could find some warmth in the cash he could get from Vikes owner Red McCombs though!

i met mr. spurrier at a celebrity golf tournament in toronto prolly about 8 years ago. he seemed nice. has no swing though, no swing. at least then he didn't.

------------------
you can stuff your sorries in a sack mister

I think it'd be amusing to watch Spurrier coach the Vikings or the Bucs (though the latter situation would be unfair to Tony Dungy, I think). He'd have to put up with egos that rival his own--either Randy Moss, or Keyshawn Johnson and Warren Sapp.

*sniff, sniff*
*currently attending the University of Florida*

oh well, by next football season, I'll be "alumni"
smile.gif

------------------
"Love is a verb..."
enterangell@cs.com

Sorry about your loss, Angell.

Kobayashi, I have heard from a clelbrity golf tournament that he plays in here annually that he becomes miserably frustrated while playing golf because it is an area where he doesn't excel.

Speedracer, I am more interested to see how he gets along with the owner of whatever team he coaches, as owner-coach relationships are some of the most colorful (see: Jerry Jones).

All of you Oklahoma fans (z edge, Heartland_Girl) can rest easy now that Stoops is staying put; Shanahan of the Denver Broncos is supposedly next in UF's site.

Ultimately, I was hoping Stoops would stay at Oklahoma as I respect their program and think he will do well there, but immediately, I kind of wished he would have gone to UF so that OU would be in disarray when we play them September 7, 2002.

~U2Alabama

Frankly, I'm glad he's outta the SEC.

Why? Because he comes off as a complete ass.

Yes, I've heard the explanation that it's "only an act", that he's really a great guy, a nice coach, good at weddings and bar mitvahs, etc.

Even assuming that's true (which I don't), I still don't think that's any excuse for behaving like an arrogant schmuck when his team does well and a spoiled brat when his team doesn't.

He's won a lot, but he has shown little class. If he could still coach such a dominant team AND be a good sport, HE SHOULD HAVE. If being an ass was somehow necessary to his success, then I find it a very empty success indeed.

That said, I think he's an idiot for leaving the SEC to go to the NFL. He's leaving an established dynasty to coach in a league that, as the result of free agency, will probably never again see a team as dominant as the 49ers of the 1980's. He's gone from a job that was nearly untouchable (and could only be pulled with the full support of the trustees AND THE FANS) to being accountable to a single owner. And he's gone from coaching players that came for 4-5 years, guaranteed, to free agents that can leave very quickly.

His personality could very easily clash with the owner (making his position tenable) OR the players (making the team's cohesiveness weak), and even if he could do everything that he wanted, he'll be lucky to get even ONE Super Bowl ring, regardless of how long he's in the league.

I'm frankly looking forward to seeing Spurrier encounter on the field and in the offices scores of egos AS BIG AS HIS OWN.

Heh, heh, heh.

What Bama? No pictures of the UT-UF game? I mean, we handed Spurrier the last regular season SEC loss of his career there,

and in the Swamp no less.

biggrin.gif

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Well I must contribute:
a-gaines2-tenn120101.jpg

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

Originally posted by Crzy4Bono:
What Bama? No pictures of the UT-UF game? I mean, we handed Spurrier the last regular season SEC loss of his career there,

and in the Swamp no less.

I thought I had posted some photos from that game awhile back, but I couldn't find them. But don't forget: it was Alabama in 1999 who broke Florida's 5 year winning streak in the Swamp, a streak which was capped on the other end by Auburn's 1994 win in the Swamp.

With Spurrier gone now, the thought of Big Orange domination in the SEC East disturbs me.

~U2Alabama

Back
Top Bottom