Steve Nash Speaks Out Against Iraq War (Great Article)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Finally, someone whose willing to publicly state the obvious!

Nash stands for peace
NBA all-star put humanitarian issues ahead of personal gain and shoe contracts

Jack Todd
CanWest News Service

Wednesday, February 12, 2003

CREDIT: Tony Gutierrez, Associated Press

Dallas Mavericks' Steve Nash spoke out against an expected war against Iraq, at last week's NBA all-star game.

He is a Canadian in an American sport, a short man in a forest, a mop-topped, courageous, creative, hard-nosed point guard for the Dallas Mavericks who came this close to leading Canada's men's national team to a basketball medal at the Sydney Olympics.

And he is a hero. The real kind, not the kind who gets his name in lights for a dozen assists or a falling-down, left-handed, off-the-glass layup in the face of Shaquille O'Neal.

During the NBA all-star festivities in Atlanta over the weekend, Steve Nash did something that highly paid professional athletes simply don't do any more: He took a political stand on a controversial issue. He put concern about the value of his shoe contracts aside and put humanitarian values at the forefront.

With the world watching, Nash spoke out against the determined drive of George W. Bush's administration to find a pretext to wage war on Iraq. While his peers wore expensive throwback jerseys on media day, Nash wore a jersey with a simple but powerful message: "Shoot for peace."

And he backed it up. The spirit of Muhammad Ali and Arthur Ashe might be rare among today's athletes, but it is alive:

"I believe the U.S. going to war would be a mistake," Nash told the Globe and Mail's Michael Grange. "I think it's something we need to be very careful with. Being a humanitarian, I believe war is wrong in 99.9 per cent of all cases. Especially in this situation. I think war is a self-defence measure and I don't think Iraq is really threatening right now.

"I think there is definitely something misleading going on right now. I think this is about oil or some sort of distraction. Saddam is a scary person, he's a crazed dictator ... but we haven't found any nuclear weapons, no matter what anyone says and that process [the UN weapons inspections] is still under way. Until that process is finished and decided, I don't think that war is acceptable."

Saddam is a crazed dictator -- but we live in a world where crazed dictators are a dime a dozen. This is a situation where the Bush administration (it's important to distinguish this government from Americans it doesn't really represent) decided a long while ago that it wanted a war and it is going to prosecute that war no matter what the UN inspectors find, no matter how many of its allies are opposed.

A long article in the New Yorker a year ago said senior members of the U.S. administration had already decided to go to war with Iraq. The start date? February 2003.

This is not about hidden weapons; it's about finding an excuse to wage a war for oil.

Under the circumstances, it is important that anyone with public status who has taken the time to educate himself or herself on what is involved here speak out to avoid another massacre in Iraq. That means politicians, entertainment figures, sports stars -- and, yes, sport columnists. After the Gulf War, an independent study that was first suppressed and then altered by the first Bush administration, estimated that 200,000 civilians died as a result of the American-led attacks, 70 times the toll from the World Trade Center attacks. That includes deaths resulting from the loss of such infrastructure facilities as hospitals and water purification plants, but it gives some idea of the horror that will visited on civilians when the U.S. attacks again.

Nash spoke out, and he spoke out with class and dignity. "I don't want to sound like I'm on a soap box or sound like I know it all, because I'm still trying to educate myself," Nash said. "But it's something I believe in and I think people should go out there and try to educate themselves, learn what they can about it so they can make an informed decision about what they want to support.

"Unfortunately, I think a lot of what we hear on the news is misleading and flat-out false. We need to dig deeper and find out what's really going on here, and I think, unfortunately, this is more about oil than nuclear weapons."

Precisely. This war is a naked power grab for Iraqi oil under the guise of an attempt to suppress "weapons of mass destruction." the UN inspectors have not been able to find. "Get your sand off our oil," is how someone put the U.S. position a few weeks ago.

For Nash to oppose the U.S. war is doubly courageous, given that he plays his basketball in Dallas, a right-wing bastion at the heart of big-oil country. The people in what John Le Carre calls the "junta" leading the drive to war -- Dick Cheney, Condoleezza Rice and Bush himself -- all once worked (and still work indirectly) for the oil industry. Rice was so deeply involved that her company once named an oil tanker after her.

After 36 years of opposition to attacks by the world's most warlike and aggressive nation against Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Grenada, Panama, Iraq and Kosovo (to name a few) I despair of finding a way to stop an administration that needs war the way people need oxygen. Still it's encouraging to see a leading figure in a corporate sport with the courage to speak out, especially when it would be so easy for Nash to simply go along with the party line and not take the trouble to inform himself on the real causes of this war.

"I just feel a responsibility in some way and don't think I've been responsible enough in searching out the truth, educating myself and creating a position and helping others to do the same," Nash said. "I don't mind what people believe in. I'm not telling people to believe in what I believe in. I just want people to educate themselves."

That "responsibility" is something most prominent athletes have been able to duck, at least since Michael Jordan decided that selling Nikes was more important than opposing North Carolina racist Jesse Helms. Jordan and Tiger Woods exemplify the "new" athlete, Ashe and Ali the old. In that sense Nash is a throwback, a breath of fresh air in a world where nothing matters but endorsement contracts and marketing.

Obviously, Nash alone can't stop a brutal government bent on war. But he can use his position as a basketball star to open some minds; we can't ask for more.

Montreal Gazette

steve nash needs a hair cut.
steve nash will never be johnny stockton.;)

ive seen steve play.
ive seen johnny play
and lemme tell ya all-
steve nash 'you are no john stockton' or 'sean penn' for that matter, now please go get a hair cut and stay outta politics:angry:

thank u-
diamond
:dance:

Last edited:
Steve should stick to dating former spice girls, and yes a shampoo would probably do him some good...

Nice that a political thread starts to criticize people's hair.

how can anybody take a a person w a bad hair cut seriously re world affairs?;).

Micael-
was that after 9-11-01, this decision?:huh:
Go figure.

db9
:)

Last edited:
Michael Griffiths said:

How can anyone not take seriously what Bush is doing with our fate?
the Eclectroial College chose our President.:up:

The Electorial College did not choose Mr Bad Hair Cut to direct foreign affairs;)

I will listen to a basketball seminar from Steve though.:)

DB9

Respectfully, Steve is making a stand which not many of his peers are ready to do (being tied up in sponsorships and their patriotic obligations).

But, I don't remember Steve Nash participating in any moratoriums regarding war, or peace for that matter.

Maybe I would take Steve's opinion to heart if I was naive enough to believe that nothing is going on in Iraq. On the other hand, as a fellow countrymen of Steve's and a member of the human race, I believe we can't sit idly by while the people of Iraq are suffering, and the while the world is in a state of instability.

Great article Michael... I don't think anyone questions your convictions; but most of us do question Bush's rationale.

diamond said:

The Electorial College did not choose Mr Bad Hair Cut to direct foreign affairs;)

DB9
I didn't vote in your election (I'm Canadian), yet my fate has never been so tied into any one particular man in my entire life. I could make a strong case for my father, I suppose, but he never applied the liberties I was born into with any political agenda. Also, once I was conceived, he allowed me to create my own destiny, not give way to someone else's power ambitions. (That last part is a joke - well, partly;))

Ah, I'm tired. Time for bed.

Last edited:
Michael Griffiths said:
I didn't vote in your election (I'm Canadian), yet my fate has never been so tied into any one particular man in my entire life.

I'm Canadian as well, and I share that sentiment that our fates are bound. We will follow America, no questions asked; but, I think we all want to make sure its for real (which there isn't much doubt now) before anything happens.

Everybody should mellow out and wait what the UN and NATO proceedings have to say.

I will now get off my pulpit and stop preaching, because I have no right to do so.

P.S. Steve isn't that bad of a basketball player, lay off him. He's all we've got... maybe I should try out for our olympic basketball team!

cujo said:
We will follow America, no questions asked
I think it's about time we did start asking some questions, to be honest. I think Bush is out of control, and as was the case during Hitler's rise to power, no one said anything. The silence was and is deafening. (And before I get roasted, I'm not saying Bush is Hitler. It's just that there are some similarities in terms the absolutism of this administration.) Okay, I'm really going to bed now!

I don't think anyone will hold you accountable for your words, if they read your disclaimer. Unfortunately, I don't have one so what you read is what you get...

Questions should be asked, but by the right people.

diamond said:

DB9

hmmm, yeah. I don't think we should listen to Bono with respect to his socio-political agenda, either.

I will listen to a lyric writing seminar from Bono though. ;)

Has Bono publicly stated for the USA not to go into Iraq?

or is it speculation by some fans?

DB9

It?s nice to see a professional athlete take a stand for once! And as he?s saying he doesn?t have all the facts and he?s still learning, exactly like all of us here! And people in this thread is dizzing his hair(have never seen a picture of him) and saying that he should stick to basketball. One word: PREJUDICE

Or maybe we want athletes like Shaq: "I?m tired of hearing about money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok."

diamond said:

DB9

"There are people who say you shouldn't mix music and politics, or sport and politics, or whatever; but I think that's kinda bullshit."

Adam Clayton in Rattle & Hum (just before Bullet The Blue Sky if you want to look it up)

C ya!

Marty

diamond said:
Has Bono publicly stated for the USA not to go into Iraq?

or is it speculation by some fans?

DB9
But Diamond, it doesn't matter whether it's about Iraq or about whether America should hand over billions to Africa. Either way, Bono didn't vote in your presedent, and it wasn't his electorial college, right? According to your logic, he should have no say in either cause! America is an island unto itself, after all! ;)

Michael Griffiths said:

But Diamond, it doesn't matter whether it's about Iraq or about whether America should hand over billions to Africa. Either way, Bono didn't vote in your presedent, and it wasn't his electorial college, right? According to your logic, he should have no say in either cause! America is an island unto itself, after all! ;)

Thank you Michael. ;)

Popmartijn said:

"There are people who say you shouldn't mix music and politics, or sport and politics, or whatever; but I think that's kinda bullshit."

Adam Clayton in Rattle & Hum (just before Bullet The Blue Sky if you want to look it up)

C ya!

Marty

Exactly... that's why we're always talking music and politics together on this forum.

Rock the Vote!

Thank you Michael for posting the article. I read somewhere on the net that members of the bands Blur and Massive Atack have stated their position against this insane war as well. I'm looking to hearing about the worldwide manifestations against the war on Iraq programmed for this next weekend.

Klaus said:
diamond:

If Bono would publicly state for the USA not to go into Iraq would YOU say that he has the wrong haircut or sunglasses to talk about politics?

Klaus
I would then have to speak w Bono to straighten him out.;)

Seriously speaking- that is an issue that Bono and I would disagree on, although my respect and love for him would remain the same.
Maybe privately he doesnt want the USA in Iraq.
However publicly he has supported the War On Terror.

Steve Nash needs to do 2 things to get my respect-
1-get a haircut :angry:
2-Know the issues top to bottom before commenting:angry:

thank u-
DB9

sometimes i get so mad, i would like to all of us protestors marching to the white house, kicking out bush and starting over a whole a new constitution.

a clean slate for everyone. imagine if everyone would mobilize. all the arabs that are being persecuted by dr. evil himself. all of us in north america who know right from wrong. if we could only mobilize and remove him from power, how great would that be?

bush, take your lust for starting world war three and shove it up your ass.

diamond said:

However publicly he has supported the War On Terror.

Im not doubting this, but for some this would extrapolate into him supporting a war on Iraq.

Here's what I remember Bono saying

- in Jersey he spoke out against OBL..saying people like him and his 'ideals' had had their day

- in Miami he said something very similar

- during an interview he said that definately the US should go into Afghanistan and get OBL and his crew out

But this has been over a year and a half..

Since then??

Anyone have any quotes or anything?

Diamond:

don't mix this - lot of people support the "War on Terror" but not the Iraq war - that's one of the reasons why G.W.B. has to pay for every suporter (just G.B support him for free) in the UN .

By the way.. is my Haricut good enough to make political statements? ;)

I don't agree with all points he makes but..

" Nash said. "I don't mind what people believe in. I'm not telling people to believe in what I believe in. I just want people to educate themselves."

That's an excelent point! Just because of that it would be worth to think more about his speech and less about his look.

Klaus

Michael Griffiths said:
to sound like I'm on a soap box or sound like I know it all, because "I'm still trying to educate myself," Nash said. "But it's something I believe in and ....
Montreal Gazette
[/B]

Steve should follow his own advice.
You may believe in something but still be wrong.
Sounds like he's drunk on the anti-war hype.

Britney Spears has more credibility than Mr Nash.
She combs her hair and doesnt speak out w/o facts..

Removing Saddam from power is preventitive maintanince.
If Clinton woulda removed Osama in 1998 as
preventive maintinance as he should have, when Osama was offered up to him, the world would have been safer place.

Klaus you know the issues but I will still buy you a haircut, nonetheless.;):angry:

DB9

Last edited:
I want to know why I'm supposed to care what a Pro Basketball Player's thoughts are on the pending war. What makes this guy's opinion matter?

Back
Top Bottom