stereotypes, gender roles, and milwaukee's best

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Se7en

Rock n' Roll Doggie
i was watching tv the other night when i had the distinct privelage of viewing the latest milwaukee's best commercial. it went something like this:

-a guy and his buds are playing some poker
-a guy and his buds are drinkin' some BEAST
-said guy gets a call on his cellular telephone
-said guy gets up from the table and walks away to answer said cellular device
-said guy says something sweet to whom the viewer presumes is his significant other
-said guy has a giant can of milwaukee's best dropped on his head
-announcer with booming voice states that men should act like men

as a straight male, i was offended by the commercial. if my significant other interrupted my poker game i'm sure that i would take the time to at least exchange hellos, be polite with her, tell her i miss her, etc while still feeling like a "guy."

has anyone else seen these? seriously, i can't believe that such macho machismo bullshit still attracts viewers and consumers. it's 2005. hello? is this thing on? what is wrong with people? maybe it's the whiny liberal coming out of me. i guess i should go take a vacation down on the ranch and chop some wood.

Last edited:
:shrug:...I'm a woman who goes for the sweet, sensitive, non-macho types of guys, and I say it's just a goofy commercial. I actually think some of the beer commercials can be rather funny. Just keep acting the way you feel comfortable acting and don't worry about what some commercial says you should act like.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
:shrug:...I'm a woman who goes for the sweet, sensitive, non-macho types of guys, and I say it's just a goofy commercial. I actually think some of the beer commercials can be rather funny. Just keep acting the way you feel comfortable acting and don't worry about what some commercial says you should act like.

Angela

i know a good goofy commercial when i see one. bud light's superbowl commercial, for instance, where the pilot dove out of the plane after the 6 pack. this commercial is just stupid and completely stereotypical. like i said maybe it's just the whiny liberal in me. anyway, i don't really take personality advice from beer commercials anyway. just thought it might make for some good discussion.

Se7en said:
i know a good goofy commercial when i see one. bud light's superbowl commercial, for instance, where the pilot dove out of the plane after the 6 pack. this commercial is just stupid and completely stereotypical. like i said maybe it's just the whiny liberal in me.

That's fine. You're entitled to your feelings regarding that stuff-sorry if what I said came off wrong or something to you :). There are commercials I've seen that I think are pretty stupid, too, after all.

Originally posted by Se7en
anyway, i don't really take personality advice from beer commercials anyway.

Good :). You have a mind of your own. Continue to use it :yes:.

Originally posted by Se7en
just thought it might make for some good discussion.

Indeed. It'd be interesting to see what other people think about this. We've got two views here now, yours and mine, let's see where others fall on the issue.

Angela

Se7en said:
seriously, i can't believe that such macho machismo bullshit still attracts viewers and consumers. it's 2005. hello? is this thing on? what is wrong with people?
it's funny how commercials like this almost legitimize guys being jerks to girls, and even portray them as being attractive to women, when in reality, this is totally NOT the case.

if i interrupted my bf's poker game, and he was an asshole to me, rest assured that he wouldn't be poking anything when he got home. bet on THAT.

i guess i should go take a vacation down on the ranch and chop some wood.
make sure you take your shirt off too. :sexywink:

If people are learning relationship ideas from beer commercials then I guess they deserve what they get. That being said I am going to go pull some Coors light from my fridge and see some twins in bikinis

i don't think anyone is learning about relationships from beer commercials. that's not the point. the question is whether or not it reflects a society's accepted norms of the relationship between men and women.

Don't be such a girly man :wink:

Frankly I don't think that such an advertisment is wrong; it is a beer commercial ~ all frothy brews and buxom babes.

It is not designed to be a bland and unappealing excercise in politically correct gender study.

I had a conversation with a friend just the other day about this; an aquaintence has a very domineering girlfriend the term he used to describe him was "pussy-whipped" ~ it is a case of human relationships; the guy simply doesn't have enough self-respect to assert himself at all, and he acts like a total jerk when she's not around, an utter tool.

Good manners, self-confidence, straightforward honesty (except in certain matters where a little bit of tact is required), Windsor knot, giving up seat on public transport to women, opening doors, respect ~ both for oneself and for women: treating a girl well, complements, pay for date and a dash of stoicism :up:

Boorish behaviour, misogyny (especially violence against women), "metrosexual" tossers, "homeboy" tossers, homophobia (which really doesn't appeal to ANYBODY) :down:

I think that if you are comfortable enough with your own masculinity it is not even something that you need too think about, it is just what you do.

Last edited:
The best beer ad ever made, in the entire history of the planet is the Carlton Draught ads.

It's made from beer!
:der:

:lol:

nevermind....lol

Se7en said:
i don't think anyone is learning about relationships from beer commercials. that's not the point. the question is whether or not it reflects a society's accepted norms of the relationship between men and women.

I think it's a reflection of the way some men in this world act and think, yes. There are still guys out there like that, unfortunately. And Imjhitman's sentiments are mine exactly, I personally would be uber-pissed if my boyfriend was a snot like that to me.

That said, :up: to Ft. Worth Frog and A_Wanderer's posts.

Angela

Re: Re: stereotypes, gender roles, and milwaukee's best

lmjhitman said:

if i interrupted my bf's poker game, and he was an asshole to me, rest assured that he wouldn't be poking anything when he got home. bet on THAT.

:giggle:

Well said!!!

in a sense this is offensive to me because I would hate to think of a nice guy getting messed with by his friends for treating his girl well.
I for one like nice guys, and Im lucky in that I know I'll never be treated like this.
Its lame to trash on guys for being sweet, and to call them "fags" because theyre sensitive or whatever, but people arent going to learn how to behave from a commercial. It starts in the home and their environment

from a purely marketing point of view, it just doesnt serve any useful purpose. regardless of any issues you may have with it, it simply is not a successful commercial.

all_i_want said:
from a purely marketing point of view, it just doesnt serve any useful purpose. regardless of any issues you may have with it, it simply is not a successful commercial.

Good point, because no should drink that awful beer.

I'm annoyed with these "beer ads aren't to be looked at for model behaviour" comments. It's patronising and irrelevant. Se7en is right; that's so not the issue.

A lot of what you learn comes to you under the radar and subliminally. Eg. Why do most people see transvestites as being clownish? Cos that's how they're portrayed in the media.

Most of the information you take in is from your sense of sight. And since we're so bombarded with images daily, it's harder to process what we see, so we just accept. Doesn't mean we're lazy, we're just human and... busy.

foray

I can't tell you how many times I've wound up fighting in a water fountain over beer...hmmm maybe those commercials do have an effect afterall

Se7en said:

I see what you're getting at, but as a woman in a committed relationship of 2.5 years and couting, I must say I LOATHE "chatting" on the phone, even w/ my bf. If I knew he was having a "guys" night, I'd never call and interrupt unless there was something important to talk about right then. Likewise, I don't expect him to call me and check on me all the time b/c it's his "manly" duty and I need protection or whatever. So this commercial means nothing to me, but I guess you should probably ignore what I say b/c according to "society", my bf and I play opposite roles in our relationship: he's the sensitive one that's always calling and I'm the hard ass the bosses him around :D

randhail said:
I can't tell you how many times I've wound up fighting in a water fountain over beer...hmmm maybe those commercials do have an effect afterall

:lol:

We actually studied that ad in one of my CAS classes. I was rather annoyed being that giving that commercial attention, ANY kind of attention, is exactly what they want. I thought, the only thing more rediculous than that commercial is the fact that I'm paying tuition money to sit here and discuss it.

foray said:
I'm annoyed with these "beer ads aren't to be looked at for model behaviour" comments. It's patronising and irrelevant. Se7en is right; that's so not the issue.

A lot of what you learn comes to you under the radar and subliminally. Eg. Why do most people see transvestites as being clownish? Cos that's how they're portrayed in the media.

Most of the information you take in is from your sense of sight. And since we're so bombarded with images daily, it's harder to process what we see, so we just accept. Doesn't mean we're lazy, we're just human and... busy.

i'm glad someone managed to look at this from the same perspective as i did. :up:

:hug:yarof:hug:

Se7en said:

i know a good goofy commercial when i see one. bud light's superbowl commercial, for instance, where the pilot dove out of the plane after the 6 pack. this commercial is just stupid and completely stereotypical. like i said maybe it's just the whiny liberal in me. anyway, i don't really take personality advice from beer commercials anyway. just thought it might make for some good discussion.

I understand how you feel, I just pay the idiotic commercials no mind, the target audience is the type of guy/gal that would find the crap funny? :reject:

foray said:

foray

I dunno, I'm pretty good at avoiding the "subliminal" messages :shrug:. I don't automatically accept something to be true because that's how it's shown on TV. For instance, I'm aware that not all transvestites are clownish. And I don't even know any transvestites personally. If someone's gonna stereotype a group of people based on the behavior of some on TV, then they're a moron, plain and simple, who can't seem to think for themselves.

I also agree with LivLuv in the sense that I hate talking on the phone for a long period of time. I've just never been one for doing that-I'm much more in favor of face-to-face chats with a guy I like :).

Angela

Last edited:
foray said:
foray

That's a broad generalization, imo.
it brings to mind the lyrics "The less you know the more you'll believe today..
I accept much less these days that I ever have..:eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom