stereotypes, gender roles, and milwaukee's best - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2005, 06:27 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by all_i_want
from a purely marketing point of view, it just doesnt serve any useful purpose. regardless of any issues you may have with it, it simply is not a successful commercial.
Good point, because no should drink that awful beer.

Old 08-05-2005, 07:12 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:13 AM
I don't think beer commercials are going after the intelligent, serious types, they're pretty mindless.

Old 08-05-2005, 07:43 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Old 08-05-2005, 10:13 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:13 PM
Doesn't Howard Stern get praise for these type of messages?
Old 08-05-2005, 10:34 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Doesn't Howard Stern get praise for these type of messages?
Yeah, the guy is about as sensitive as a rock.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:25 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:13 PM
I'm annoyed with these "beer ads aren't to be looked at for model behaviour" comments. It's patronising and irrelevant. Se7en is right; that's so not the issue.

A lot of what you learn comes to you under the radar and subliminally. Eg. Why do most people see transvestites as being clownish? Cos that's how they're portrayed in the media.

Most of the information you take in is from your sense of sight. And since we're so bombarded with images daily, it's harder to process what we see, so we just accept. Doesn't mean we're lazy, we're just human and... busy.

foray
Old 08-05-2005, 12:26 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:13 PM
come to think of it, remember how many people used to go around saying
"bud wei ser" after the toad ads?
Old 08-05-2005, 12:31 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by u2bonogirl
come to think of it, remember how many people used to go around saying
"bud wei ser" after the toad ads?
I used to love those commercials, lol.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:36 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I can't tell you how many times I've wound up fighting in a water fountain over beer...hmmm maybe those commercials do have an effect afterall
Old 08-05-2005, 01:18 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en
i don't think anyone is learning about relationships from beer commercials. that's not the point. the question is whether or not it reflects a society's accepted norms of the relationship between men and women.
I see what you're getting at, but as a woman in a committed relationship of 2.5 years and couting, I must say I LOATHE "chatting" on the phone, even w/ my bf. If I knew he was having a "guys" night, I'd never call and interrupt unless there was something important to talk about right then. Likewise, I don't expect him to call me and check on me all the time b/c it's his "manly" duty and I need protection or whatever. So this commercial means nothing to me, but I guess you should probably ignore what I say b/c according to "society", my bf and I play opposite roles in our relationship: he's the sensitive one that's always calling and I'm the hard ass the bosses him around
Old 08-05-2005, 01:19 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by randhail
I can't tell you how many times I've wound up fighting in a water fountain over beer...hmmm maybe those commercials do have an effect afterall

We actually studied that ad in one of my CAS classes. I was rather annoyed being that giving that commercial attention, ANY kind of attention, is exactly what they want. I thought, the only thing more rediculous than that commercial is the fact that I'm paying tuition money to sit here and discuss it.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:57 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by foray
I'm annoyed with these "beer ads aren't to be looked at for model behaviour" comments. It's patronising and irrelevant. Se7en is right; that's so not the issue.

A lot of what you learn comes to you under the radar and subliminally. Eg. Why do most people see transvestites as being clownish? Cos that's how they're portrayed in the media.

Most of the information you take in is from your sense of sight. And since we're so bombarded with images daily, it's harder to process what we see, so we just accept. Doesn't mean we're lazy, we're just human and... busy.
i'm glad someone managed to look at this from the same perspective as i did.

yarof
Old 08-05-2005, 03:18 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en

i know a good goofy commercial when i see one. bud light's superbowl commercial, for instance, where the pilot dove out of the plane after the 6 pack. this commercial is just stupid and completely stereotypical. like i said maybe it's just the whiny liberal in me. anyway, i don't really take personality advice from beer commercials anyway. just thought it might make for some good discussion.
I understand how you feel, I just pay the idiotic commercials no mind, the target audience is the type of guy/gal that would find the crap funny?
Old 08-05-2005, 05:30 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 06:13 PM
Quote:

foray
I dunno, I'm pretty good at avoiding the "subliminal" messages . I don't automatically accept something to be true because that's how it's shown on TV. For instance, I'm aware that not all transvestites are clownish. And I don't even know any transvestites personally. If someone's gonna stereotype a group of people based on the behavior of some on TV, then they're a moron, plain and simple, who can't seem to think for themselves.

I also agree with LivLuv in the sense that I hate talking on the phone for a long period of time. I've just never been one for doing that-I'm much more in favor of face-to-face chats with a guy I like .

Angela
Old 08-05-2005, 09:02 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
foray
That's a broad generalization, imo.
it brings to mind the lyrics "The less you know the more you'll believe today..
I accept much less these days that I ever have..