Stem Cell Research. The Real Deal and the Hype.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, God not that I have time to reply to this, but........

Gibson :up: You nailed it. Every point. I'll add more support to the final point about the need for research. See below:

In response to the question during the 2nd debate “Senator Kerry, thousands of people have already been cured or treated by the use of adult stem cells or umbilical-cord stem cells. However, no one has been cured by using embryonic stem cells. Wouldn’t it be wise to use stem cells obtained without the destruction of an embryo?” -

Scientest PZ Myers explains:

That “no one has been cured by using embryonic stem cells” line has become one of the most common criticisms of embryonic stem cell research. What it is, though, is pure anti-science drivel. No one has been to Mars, anti-missile defenses don’t work, and we aren’t all driving around in hydrogen powered cars, but Republicans aren’t shutting down those research programs. It is in the nature of science that we endeavor to do things that have never been done before. When you start demanding that we only do that which we have already done, you are advocating the destruction of science. This doesn’t mean that everything that hasn’t been done is equally valuable to science; I don’t think we should sponsor pie-powered mole machines that will dig down to the center of the earth to find the Lost Tribe of Israel, for instance. But embryonic stem cell research has been fruitful in the lab, has much promise for the future, and is based on solid, demonstrable science. The question is also poor because it presents a false dichotomy. Of course it would be wise to continue adult stem cell research; no one is arguing otherwise. This isn’t an either/or situation, and all the researchers in the field are saying we need to do both.

Hi Olive:)-
well the reason we "aren’t shutting down those research programs"..

is becuz it has to do w/snuffing out innocent life in the name of expirimenting w/prolonging another.

we are ok w proven methods ie-adult stem cells.
we're results oriented when it comes to prolonging all life.

db9

Hi Diamond.

Why isn't it a priority to do everything we can to protect the innocent lives that are already born? There's a big difference between an alive, functioning human being and a blob of cells.

And if someone believes that blob has a soul and will be a human, it doesn't not mean those faith-based beliefs should govern the country, or impede science.

but, im a blob and have a soul:wink:

seriously Olive, im concern that it can become a slippery slope that's all.

db9:)

AvsGirl41 said:
It's really interesting to me that people who believe an embryo is just an embryo (as I do) are the minority in the abortion thread. ;)

Or you were just smarter than I was, and simply stayed away. :wink:

heh. I've been screamed at and my thoughts ridiculed in previous abortion threads, and all the time my well thought-out posts were ignored and questions not answered. I guess it's easier to cry "you support killing!" than thinking intellectually, with compassion, and discussing. I do have a boat load of arguments, as I've been educating myself more and more (like how the countries w/ the lowest rates of abortion haven't made it illegal, they've compensated in other ways) but I can't particpate in these discussions anymore. So yeah, I for one stayed away. ;)

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Since when is a clump of cells in a test tube considered human life?

If that's the case, I killed many people today. :|

anitram said:

And in my professional scientific opinion, you are wrong.

And most of the scientific community would agree.

And quoting MDs is weak. MDs are not research scientists and unless they have an accompanying PhD in the field, they know no more about the subject than an undergraduate biology student.

Frankly, the main problem with this issue is that the people fired up most about it are completely uneducated when it comes to what stem cells are, what cloning is, what undergoing selection means, what differentiation is, what terminal differentiation is, the difficulties of growing stem cells in culture and the fact it is impossible to keep lines going indefinitely (they have a defined lifespan, beyond which they are no longer considered pluripotent). This is a question of high academia, and it's not about being elitist or implying people are stupid, but it's something that you need many years of advanced (beyond a bachelor's degree) education or hands on experience to understand. Yet the people who crow about this to the heavens have never seen a stem cell under the microscope, have not an iota of practical knowledge about it, don't know how to culture it, don't know what it really does and how, etc.

Then what you hear is "morality" as a defense for ignorance.
anitram,

I've always appreciated that you are an intelligent person.

People have core beliefs regardless if they have 10 years of formal schooloing or 6 months of formal schooling.

Some of us common lugs still have a litmus test, if it works let's and is for the betterment of all life let's do it.
If it's only a pipe dream and your taking out innocent life on theory we have a problem with it.
It's that simple.

If you're ok with what a Professor from Princton that he's educated enough and what has to say about this issue here are his words-

The Big Lie
An inhumane platform.

By Robert P. George

Every reporter covering the election should, after the second presidential debate in St. Louis, be demanding of Kerry an answer to the following question: Who are the scientists who told you that "we have the option" of curing Parkinson's, diabetes, spinal-cord injuries, or any other disease using embryonic stem cells? If they won't ask him, the Bush campaign should defy him to name the names. He won't be able to do it. No scientists — even those most pro-Kerry and aggressively in favor of the federal funding of embryo-destructive research — ever told Kerry any such thing.

What Kerry has done here is told the big lie about embryonic stem cells. The claim that "we have the option" of curing Parkinson's disease, diabetes, etc. with embryonic stem cells is outrageous. No one knows when — or even whether or not — human embryonic stem cells will be therapeutically useful in treating any major disease or injury. There are profound — perhaps insuperable — problems with the therapeutic use of these cells. So, despite the fact that there is no federal ban on embryonic-stem-cell research, and that such research can be funded with state money and is being publicly funded in various places abroad, no embryonic-stem-cell-based therapy is even in clinical trials.

For months now, the Kerry campaign and its surrogates, such as Ron Reagan Jr., have cruelly led suffering people to believe that cures for their diseases are just around the corner. All we have to do is replace Bush with Kerry, open the federal funding spigot, and presto! The blind see and the lame walk! The Kerry campaign's hyping of embryo-destructive research for political gain is the cruelest and most shameful episode in the story of the 2004 election.

What Elizabeth Long (the woman who asked Kerry the stem-cell question) said is true: "Thousands of people have already been cured or treated by the use of adult stem cells or umbilical-cord stem cells. However, no one has been cured by using embryonic stem cells. Wouldn't it be wise to use stem cells obtained without the destruction of an embryo?"

Kerry answered with a lie. A lie that will falsely inflate the hopes of countless people who would dearly love to believe that "we have the option" of curing them.

The Big Lie

Last edited:
diamond said:

anitram,

People have core beliefs regardless if they have 10 years of formal schooloing or 6 months of formal schooling.

Some of us common lugs still have a litmus test, if it works let's and is for the betterment of all life let's do it.
If it's only a pipe dream and your taking out innocent life on theory we have a problem with it.
It's that simple.

If you're ok with what a Professor from Princton that he's educated enough and what has to say about this issue here are his words-

The Big Lie
An inhumane platform.

By Robert P. George

Every reporter covering the election should, after the second presidential debate in St. Louis, be demanding of Kerry an answer to the following question: Who are the scientists who told you that "we have the option" of curing Parkinson's, diabetes, spinal-cord injuries, or any other disease using embryonic stem cells? If they won't ask him, the Bush campaign should defy him to name the names. He won't be able to do it. No scientists — even those most pro-Kerry and aggressively in favor of the federal funding of embryo-destructive research — ever told Kerry any such thing.

What Kerry has done here is told the big lie about embryonic stem cells. The claim that "we have the option" of curing Parkinson's disease, diabetes, etc. with embryonic stem cells is outrageous. No one knows when — or even whether or not — human embryonic stem cells will be therapeutically useful in treating any major disease or injury. There are profound — perhaps insuperable — problems with the therapeutic use of these cells. So, despite the fact that there is no federal ban on embryonic-stem-cell research, and that such research can be funded with state money and is being publicly funded in various places abroad, no embryonic-stem-cell-based therapy is even in clinical trials.

For months now, the Kerry campaign and its surrogates, such as Ron Reagan Jr., have cruelly led suffering people to believe that cures for their diseases are just around the corner. All we have to do is replace Bush with Kerry, open the federal funding spigot, and presto! The blind see and the lame walk! The Kerry campaign's hyping of embryo-destructive research for political gain is the cruelest and most shameful episode in the story of the 2004 election.

What Elizabeth Long (the woman who asked Kerry the stem-cell question) said is true: "Thousands of people have already been cured or treated by the use of adult stem cells or umbilical-cord stem cells. However, no one has been cured by using embryonic stem cells. Wouldn't it be wise to use stem cells obtained without the destruction of an embryo?"

Kerry answered with a lie. A lie that will falsely inflate the hopes of countless people who would dearly love to believe that "we have the option" of curing them.

The Big Lie

Oh sure, I've had my beliefs about the absolute and unequivocal need for federal funding for embryonic stem cell research for three years, oh, but one guy's OBVIOUSLY conservatively biased opinion is gonna change my mind.

namkcuR said:

Oh sure, I've had my beliefs about the absolute and unequivocal need for federal funding for embryonic stem cell research for three years, oh, but one guy's OBVIOUSLY conservatively biased opinion is gonna change my mind.
namkcur-
All we are saying is we want it to work and not have a bunch of dead rats on the floor as net end of your experiments.
Frankly it's kinda scary to sensible folks.

Here's another persons thoughts in case you overlooked it.:)-
Spinning Stem Cells
A damning reporting pattern.

By Wesley J. Smith

he pattern in the media reportage about stem cells is growing very wearisome. When a research advance occurs with embryonic stem cells, the media usually give the story the brass-band treatment. However, when researchers announce even greater success using adult stem cells, the media reportage is generally about as intense and excited as a stifled yawn.

As a consequence, many people in this country continue to believe that embryonic stem cells offer the greatest promise for developing new medical treatments using the body's cells — known as regenerative medicine — while in actuality, adult and alternative sources of stem cells have demonstrated much brighter prospects. This misperception has societal consequences, distorting the political debate over human cloning and embryonic-stem-cell research (ESCR) and perhaps even affecting levels of public and private research funding of embryonic and adult stem-cell therapies.

This media pattern was again in evidence in the reporting of two very important research breakthroughs announced within the last two weeks. Unless you made a point of looking for these stories — as I do in my work — you might have missed them. Patients with Parkinson's disease and multiple sclerosis received significant medical benefit using experimental adult-stem-cell regenerative medical protocols. These are benefits that supporters of embryonic-stem-cell treatments have yet to produce widely in animal experiments. Yet adult stem cells are now beginning to ameliorate suffering in human beings.

Celebrity Parkinson's disease victims such as Michael J. Fox and Michael Kinsley regularly tout ESCR as the best hope for a cure of their disease. Indeed, the Washington Post recently published a Kinsley rant on the subject in which the editor and former Crossfire co-host denounced opponents of human cloning as interfering with his hope for a cure. Yet as loudly as Fox and Kinsley promote ESCR in the media or before legislative committees, both have remained strangely silent about the most remarkable Parkinson's stem-cell experiment yet attempted: one in which researchers treated Parkinson's with the patient's own adult stem cells.

Here's the story, in case you missed it: A man in his mid-50s had been diagnosed with Parkinson's at age 49. The disease grew progressively, leading to tremors and rigidity in the patient's right arm. Traditional drug therapy did not help.

Stem cells were harvested from the patient's brain using a routine brain biopsy procedure. They were cultured and expanded to several million cells. About 20 percent of these matured into dopamine-secreting neurons. In March 1999, the cells were injected into the patient's brain.

Three months after the procedure, the man's motor skills had improved by 37 percent and there was an increase in dopamine production of 55.6 percent. One year after the procedure, the patient's overall Unified Parkinson's Disease Rating Scale had improved by 83 percent — this at a time when he was not taking any other Parkinson's medication!

That is an astonishing, remarkable success, one that you would have thought would set off blazing headlines and lead stories on the nightly news. Had the treatment been achieved with embryonic stem cells, undoubtedly the newspapers would have screamed loudly enough to be heard. Unfortunately, reportage about the Parkinson's success story was strangely muted. True, the Washington Post ran an inside-the-paper story and there were some wire service reports. But the all-important New York Times — the one news outlet that drives television and cable news — did not report on it at all. Nor did a search of the Los Angeles Times website yield any stories about the experiment.

Human multiple-sclerosis patients have now also benefited from adult-stem-cell regenerative medicine. A study conducted by the Washington Medical Center in Seattle involved 26 rapidly deteriorating MS patients. First, physicians stimulated stem cells from the patients' bone marrow to enter the bloodstream. They then harvested the stem cells and gave the patients strong chemotherapy to destroy their immune systems. (MS is an autoimmune disorder in which the patient's body attacks the protective sheaths that surround bundles of nerves.) Finally, the researchers reintroduced the stem cells into the patients, hoping they would rebuild healthy immune systems and ameliorate the MS symptoms.

It worked. Of the 26 patients, 20 stabilized and six improved. Three patients experienced severe infections and one died.

That is a very positive advance offering great hope. But rather than making headlines, the test got less attention than successful animal studies using embryonic cells. The Los Angeles Times ran a brief bylined description, while the New York Times and Washington Post only published wire reports. Once again, the media's almost grudging coverage prevented society at large from becoming acutely aware of how exciting adult-cell regenerative medicine is fast becoming.

Meanwhile in Canada, younger MS patients whose diseases were not as far advanced as those in the Washington study have shown even greater benefit from the same procedure. Six months after the first patient was treated, she was found to have no evidence of the disease on MRI scans. Three other patients have also received successful adult-stem-cell grafts with no current evidence of active disease.

It's still too early to tell whether the Canadian patients have achieved permanent remission or a cure, but there can be no question that the research is significant. Yet the story was only publicized in Canada's Globe and Mail and in reports on Canadian television. American outlets did not mention the experiments at all.

These Parkinson's and MS studies offer phenomenal evidence of the tremendous potential adult cell regenerative medicine offers. At the same time, the unspectacular coverage these breakthroughs received highlights the odd lack of interest in adult stem-cell research exhibited by most mainstream media outlets. Nor are these stories the only adult-stem-cell successes to have gotten the media cold shoulder.

It's worth recapping just a few of the other advances made in adult-cell therapies and research in the last two years, all of which were significantly underplayed in the media:

Israeli doctors inserted a paraplegic patient's own white blood cells into her severed spinal cord, after which she regained bladder control and the ability to wiggle her toes and move her legs. (I only saw reporting on this case in the Globe and Mail, June 15, 2001.)
Immune systems destroyed by cancer were restored in children using stem cells from umbilical-cord blood. (There was a good story in the April 16, 2001 Time, but other than that I saw no reporting.)
At Harvard University, mice with Type I diabetes were completely cured of their disease. The experiment was so successful that human trials are now planned. (This was reported in the July 19, 2001, Harvard University Gazette, but I saw no coverage at all in the mainstream press.)
Diabetic mice treated with adult stem cells achieved full insulin production and all lived. This is in contrast to an experiment in which embryonic stem cells injected into diabetic mice achieved a 3 percent insulin production rate and all the mice died. (According to the May 2001 STATS, published by the Statistical Assessment Service, the embryo experiment made big news while the media ignored the adult cell experiment.)
How many humans have been treated by embryonic stem cells? Zero. Indeed, before human trials can even be safely undertaken researchers will have to overcome two serious difficulties that stand between patients and embryonic-cell regenerative medicine: 1) ES cells cause tumors, and 2) ES cells may be rejected by the immune system. Surmounting these difficulties — if they can be surmounted at all — will take a very long time and much expense. There is no risk of rejection with adult cells, by contrast, because they come from the patients' own bodies. Nor, at least so far, does adult-stem-cell therapy appear to cause tumors. This puts adult therapies years ahead of the game.

The media continue to imply that embryos hold the key to the future. But increasingly, it looks as if our own body cells offer the quickest and best hope for regenerative medicine. The time has come for the public to insist that the media stop acting as if adult stem cells are the "wrong" kind of stem cells, and report to the American people fully and fairly the remarkable advances continually being made in adult regenerative medicine

Let's reiterate-

How many humans have been treated by embryonic stem cells? Zero.

1) ES cells cause tumors, and 2) ES cells may be rejected by the immune system. Surmounting these difficulties — if they can be surmounted at all — will take a very long time and much expense. There is no risk of rejection with adult cells, by contrast, because they come from the patients' own bodies

thank u.

db9

com' on

don't ba a girlie man

support the stem cells

Schwarzenegger in stem cell call

Schwarzenegger says California should be a biotech industry leader
Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has broken ranks with his party to back a proposal to fund embryonic stem cell research with California state money.

The initiative, known as Proposition 71, would provide scientists with about $3bn over 10 years and would cost the state a total of up to $6bn.

Residents will vote on the measure in November. Opinion polls suggest most Californians support the proposal.

But many Republicans oppose the science because it involves destroying embryos.

Mr Schwarzenegger's decision will put him on a collision course with his own party and the White House, says the BBC's Daniel Griffiths in Washington.

The issue has become increasingly important in the presidential election campaign, especially since the death of paralysed actor Christopher Reeve, a passionate supporter of the science.

President George Bush has already placed limits on federal spending on stem cell research. His Democratic opponent, John Kerry, says he will increase funding.

There is little doubt that the Democrats will seize on Mr Schwarzenegger's endorsement for their own political advantage, says our correspondent.

'Pioneer California'

"I am, of course, a supporter of stem cell research," Mr Schwarzenegger said in a statement.

"Research that we do now holds the promise of cures for tomorrow. California has always been a pioneer. We daringly led the way for the high-tech industry and now voters can help ensure we lead the way for the biotech industry."

A couple of years from now, Californians will be kicking themselves for consenting to yet another tax to fund this proposition.

For a state with a deficit, Prop 71 makes absolutely no sense. It is pure abortion politics in miracle cure clothing.

Well made points, but my hat's off to Schwarzenegger. He's got a mind of his own, and that's rare as hen's teeth in politics these days.

Maybe Arnold was tired of sleeping on the couch after the RNC Convention and needed to find a way to appease the Mrs:sexywink::

Check this headline out-

Schwarzenegger Says Pro-Bush Speech Irked His Wife
:angry:

it was 14 days and the fellow was desperate.

Last edited:
ThatGuy said:

Is Wesley J. Smith an MD?

No, merely a lawyer who is now an author.

The other artcile was written by Robert P. George, a champion of the right's causes. He is on Bush's commitee of bioethics.

diamond said:

Core beliefs and sound scientific knowledge are two completely different things, diamond.

You can believe that the sky is orange too, and it doesn't make it so.

If people have a moral problem with all these poor little cells being destroyed to save lives, may I suggest considering them nothing more than collateral damage? A means to an end? Isn't that a popular belief these days?

:rolleyes:

diamond said:
1) ES cells cause tumors, and 2) ES cells may be rejected by the immune system. Surmounting these difficulties — if they can be surmounted at all — will take a very long time and much expense. There is no risk of rejection with adult cells, by contrast, because they come from the patients' own bodies

thank u.

db9 [/B]

No, thank you.

1. BULLSHIT. If this is a true statement, there would be no further research. If you know anything about research, you would know that you have to meet certain cytotoxicity levels before you are allowed to even move to animal and human models. Read the science, not an anecdotal story here or there.

How many drugs you take "cause" tumors? Birth control pills? The aspartame in Diet Coke? Let's get real here about what is hwat.

2. DB9, tell me how you think that a bone marrow transplant is conducted? Those are adult, hematopoeitic stem cells. I work as an immunologist, I know about histocompatibility and HLA testing. ES stem cells "may" be rejected, just as you may reject your brother's bone marrow, but not your sister's. Obviously these things would have to be tested.

And "adult stem cells" do not go from the same person to the same person as you imply - again, look at bone marrow transplants, the most famous example of ES cell treatment, and it is not from self-cells, is it?

anitram said:

No, thank you.

1. BULLSHIT. If this is a true statement, there would be no further research. If you know anything about research, you would know that you have to meet certain cytotoxicity levels before you are allowed to even move to animal and human models. Read the science, not an anecdotal story here or there.

How many drugs you take "cause" tumors? Birth control pills? The aspartame in Diet Coke? Let's get real here about what is hwat.

2. DB9, tell me how you think that a bone marrow transplant is conducted? Those are adult, hematopoeitic stem cells. I work as an immunologist, I know about histocompatibility and HLA testing. ES stem cells "may" be rejected, just as you may reject your brother's bone marrow, but not your sister's. Obviously these things would have to be tested.

And "adult stem cells" do not go from the same person to the same person as you imply - again, look at bone marrow transplants, the most famous example of ES cell treatment, and it is not from self-cells, is it?

he would never reject my bone marrow

diamond said:

anitram,

It's that simple.

The Big Lie
An inhumane platform.

By Robert P. George

The Big Lie

I'llb e honest I hate posting in this forum... personally think the name should be changed to either the "lets all piss on America" forum or "Waste your time". But what I've seen here just far outweighs any self control I have.

1.) Diamond you seem to contradict yourself within your very post
first you claim that years of formal education are not necessary to form an opinion on the topic. And then you waive an article from a professor from princeton out like you came down from the mountain with a stone tablet. So either we can listen to the princeton guy (And I'm sure I can find 1,000 experts to contradict him with one google search). Or in fact agree with your point hat formal schooling isn't an issue and that his opinion is as good as anyone elses

Which is it???? I'm confused

2.) HUNDREDS of people died from the practice of blood transfusions until they discovered blood typing. Had people back in the day gone with your line of thinking, I hope you saved up your own blood cos your not gettign a transfusion. The practice of blood transfusions was considered to be "abhorrent" at the time as well...how many lives has it saved?Gene therapy has been responsible for the deaths of people as well,

3.) your brilliant article from this princeton dude doesn't cite a single fact all he really seems to be up in arms with is how easy kerry makes it seem.

4.) You imply the kerry campaign is exploiting the death of christopher reeves to push their agenda further, but Christopher reeves used his life to push the cause across, it's not like he was against it and the kerry campaign was using him as an example.

5.) Anitram's posts seem to highlight the fact that honestly, you've gotten too deep into a topic you know too little about. Yes Adult stem cells are CURRENTLY more promising, however perhaps embryonic cells hold the key to curing different types of illnesses, or perhaps will work in different patient paradigms better ( imuno compromised patients being one that comes to mind, hypertensive patients another etc etc) I don't claim to know this is true but I don't discount it off hand because it conflicts with my choice for president ( partially because it doesn't conflict with my choice for president).

6.) I extend Bill Mahers challenge to any right wing woman, if your so concerned with the embryo being used, have it implanted, and bring it to term...any takers? in his words " put your uterus where your mouth is". My point? the fact that these cell lines aren't going to be used for anything else no one is going to bring them to term, so lets try and see if we can save people that are walking around, trying to raise families and sell dimonsexy jeeps.

7.) The whole bush camp seems to be in love with this idea of trying to meld " science with ethics" ( and with another line I've stolen from my favorite political satirist) The two things the bush camp knows the least about...are...science and ethics.

And please..unless you have something substanial to say don't reply, I dont want some kiddie syllogism that your so known for, or supposed witty repartee...I want concrete reasoning.

All this being said, in 15 years diamond your stance may be a lot more valid than it is now...but currently...it is utter rubbish.

Last edited:
Arun V said:

I'llb e honest I hate posting in this forum... personally think the name should be changed to either the "lets all piss on America" forum or "Waste your time". But what I've seen here just far outweighs any self control I have.

1.) Diamond you seem to contradict yourself within your very post
first you claim that years of formal education are not necessary to form an opinion on the topic. And then you waive an article from a professor from princeton out like you came down from the mountain with a stone tablet. So either we can listen to the princeton guy (And I'm sure I can find 1,000 experts to contradict him with one google search). Or in fact agree with your point hat formal schooling isn't an issue and that his opinion is as good as anyone elses

Which is it???? I'm confused

2.) HUNDREDS of people died from the practice of blood transfusions until they discovered blood typing. Had people back in the day gone with your line of thinking, I hope you saved up your own blood cos your not gettign a transfusion. The practice of blood transfusions was considered to be "abhorrent" at the time as well...how many lives has it saved?Gene therapy has been responsible for the deaths of people as well,

3.) your brilliant article from this princeton dude doesn't cite a single fact all he really seems to be up in arms with is how easy kerry makes it seem.

4.) You imply the kerry campaign is exploiting the death of christopher reeves to push their agenda further, but Christopher reeves used his life to push the cause across, it's not like he was against it and the kerry campaign was using him as an example.

5.) Anitram's posts seem to highlight the fact that honestly, you've gotten too deep into a topic you know too little about. Yes Adult stem cells are CURRENTLY more promising, however perhaps embryonic cells hold the key to curing different types of illnesses, or perhaps will work in different patient paradigms better ( imuno compromised patients being one that comes to mind, hypertensive patients another etc etc) I don't claim to know this is true but I don't discount it off hand because it conflicts with my choice for president ( partially because it doesn't conflict with my choice for president).

6.) I extend Bill Mahers challenge to any right wing woman, if your so concerned with the embryo being used, have it implanted, and bring it to term...any takers? in his words " put your uterus where your mouth is". My point? the fact that these cell lines aren't going to be used for anything else no one is going to bring them to term, so lets try and see if we can save people that are walking around, trying to raise families and sell dimonsexy jeeps.

7.) The whole bush camp seems to be in love with this idea of trying to meld " science with ethics" ( and with another line I've stolen from my favorite political satirist) The two things the bush camp knows the least about...are...science and ethics.

And please..unless you have something substanial to say don't reply, I dont want some kiddie syllogism that your so known for, or supposed witty repartee...I want concrete reasoning.

All this being said, in 15 years diamond your stance may be a lot more valid than it is now...but currently...it is utter rubbish.

As Bono is an educated entertainer in the fight on Aids/Africa/Debt--

I think Mel Gibson is also an intelligent entertainer and articulates how most Americans feel about EMBRIONIC Stem-cell research.

Here are his words-

Braveheart Stands Athwart a Brave New World
Mel Gibson takes on government-funded Twilight Zone research.

Q&A by Kathryn Jean Lopez

"I would find it difficult to look at myself in the mirror if I didn't take a stand against this disingenuous proposition," says Academy Award-winning director Mel Gibson in an interview with National Review Online. Last week, Gibson publicly joined the campaign against Proposition 71 (the California Stem Cells Research and Cures/Bond Act), a $3-6 billion California referendum to fund embryonic-stem-cell research and human cloning. Under the false promise of panacea cures, Proposition 71 would also create a constitutional "right" to conduct human-cloning research.

In addition to his concern for the sanctity of human life, Gibson offers frugal common-sense points in his opposition to Prop. 71. "Why," Gibson asks, "is the state with the lowest credit rating and the highest debt cost in the country responsible now for borrowing money to pay for dubious research for the rest of the world?"

Gibson's opposition to Prop 71, embryonic-stem-cell research, and human cloning does not make him — as the knee-jerk rhetoric often goes — "anti-science." Recently, for instance, and not for the first time, Gibson donated $10 million that will be split between Mattel Children's Hospital at UCLA and the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center to help care for seriously ill children.

As you'll read below in his interview with NRO editor Kathryn Lopez, Gibson is no half-heart in his campaign against Proposition 71 — this is no casual celeb endorsement of the "No to 71" campaign. Rather, Gibson is a California citizen concerned with the Brave New World the Golden State is about to usher in; he won't let it happen without a fight.

National Review: What is it about Proposition 71 that made you want to speak out against it?

Mel Gibson: I'm interested in cures and in eradicating diseases. This touches my own family. It was brought to my attention that this proposition is deceptive. It's a deliberate attempt to mislead the public.

They use scientific terms to obfuscate their true intent. They don't want to talk about human embryos or the cloning of human embryos so they use arcane scientific terms that mean the same thing, like "pluripotent stem cells" and "somatic-cell nuclear transfer."

Truthfully, I would find it difficult to look at myself in the mirror if I didn't take a stand against this disingenuous proposition, particularly in light of the fact that in 23 years of research with embryonic-stem-cells not one single cure has been obtained.

Not so with adult and umbilical-cord stem cells, which have resulted in more than 300,000 effective cures including spinal-cord injuries, Parkinson's disease, stroke, and multiple sclerosis. That's not what Prop 71 is about.

NRO: Your governor, Arnold Schwarzenegger, supports legal abortion. So are you surprised that he is for Prop 71?

Gibson: I'm still surprised that he supported it given the fiscal ramifications.

Why is the state with the lowest credit rating and the highest debt cost in the country responsible now for borrowing money to pay for dubious research for the rest of the world? Research has always been done on a pay-as-you-go basis.

NRO: Isn't this just a typical Election Day bond issue?

Gibson: Not at all. Bond measures are the most expensive way to finance any governmental activity. Prop 71 is a $300 million annual constitutional entitlement that lasts for ten years even if the research falls flat after three years.

And who will be looking over the shoulders of the political appointees as they hand out the $3 billion of our money?

Not the public. The commission deliberations are exempt from the California Open Meeting Laws.

Not the press. The commission is also exempt from the California Public Records Act under the same terms.

Not the law. The working groups that will score and recommend projects for funding are completely exempt from California's Conflicts of Interest Law.

Do you want to know how your $3 billion is spent? You'll never know under Prop 71.

NRO: This stem-cell issue, of course, goes way beyond just California. Democratic vice-presidential candidate John Edwards recently suggested that a Kerry administration would, basically, have saved Christopher Reeve's life — and let him walk again! Michael J. Fox, whom we've all watched deteriorate from his acting prime, is for Prop 71. How do voters — especially people who need hope, who want to be compassionate — vote against that?

Gibson: There's nothing compassionate about using a worthy cause to peddle false hope so that some special interests can succeed in a money grab.

NRO: What questions would you want every California voter to ask himself before voting on Prop 71?

Gibson: Why has there been a deliberate attempt to mislead the taxpayers? Why are the taxpayers rather than the private sector being asked to shoulder this burden? How much will big medical-research firms and drug companies stand to profit from the $6 billion of your money? Do you believe you'll see any of these profits?

What about California schools, nursing homes, hospitals, and trauma centers that are already strapped and closing down as we speak?

Why did the $30 million to support Prop 71 come from the very same biotech companies that stand to benefit from it?

Where will these embryos come from? Are we going to turn women into egg factories using follicle-stimulating-hormone drugs, which are known to cause cancer?

Why are they misleading the public into believing there's a promise of cures through human cloning when all of the science so far says just the opposite?
Mel%20Gibson%2002.jpg
mel%20gibson.JPG

Last edited:
Oh right

I forgot that mel gibson was a leading scientist in the field.

Back
Top Bottom