Statue of Liberty and 9/11 Memorial Vandalized - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2003, 06:25 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:59 PM
Statue of Liberty and 9/11 Memorial Vandalized

Breaking News

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted on Wed, Mar. 26, 2003

French Statue of Liberty Replica Torched
Associated Press

BORDEAUX, France - Vandals in this southwest Bordeaux torched a replica of the Statue of Liberty and cracked the pedestal of a plaque honoring victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.

The crowned head of the 8-foot-tall statue was blackened by fire and its eyes were marked with red paint, apparently to symbolize tears of blood, an official at the mayor's office said.

The statue and the Sept. 11 plaque are beside each other in a square near the city center.

The mayor of the southwestern city, Alain Juppe, condemned Wednesday's pre-dawn attack, saying the statue's message is especially pertinent in wartime.

"At a time when the world is living a major conflict, it is more important than ever to remain watchful of the values of peace and liberty," said Juppe, a former prime minister.

The Lady Liberty standing in New York Harbor was a gift from France to the United States commemorating freedom and friendship between the nations. It was made by Frederic-Auguste Bartholdi and dedicated in 1886.

Today, tensions between France and the United States have flared over the war in Iraq. French people overwhelmingly oppose the U.S.-led conflict and President Jacques Chirac angered many Americans by trying to slow the U.S. drive to war.

In France, vandals have ransacked McDonald's restaurants in Paris and Strasbourg, targeting the fast food chain as a symbol of American influence.

Cafeterias in the U.S. House of Representatives subsequently changed their menus to read "freedom fries" instead of French fries and "freedom toast" instead of French toast.

Lawmakers also introduced bills preventing France from participating in any postwar reconstruction projects.

Old 03-27-2003, 06:31 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:59 PM
related ignorance

Posted on Thu, Mar. 27, 2003

French's spreads the news: Its mustard born in USA

BY CHRISTINA HOAG

Attention mustard mavens: French's is as American as baseball and hot dogs, and what's more, it was born in New York.

A jittery Reckitt Benckiser, the New Jersey-based manufacturer of French's, rushed out a press release to defend its 99-year-old brand after two news networks aired references to French's and switches to store-shelf rival Heinz earlier this month.

With Americans' current anathema to all things français, French's decided to get out the word that the name of its founder, R.T. French Co., is where it gets its moniker.

Nothing, it says, could be more American that the official yellow spread of Yankee Stadium and America's mustard market leader.

The company got nervous after CNN aired a report about a Fort Wayne, Ind., restaurant's dumping French's in favor of Heinz. That came on top of a Fox News weatherman's banter suggesting that French's was not American, and Heinz made a good mustard.

Company spokesman Jason Amar said ''it's too soon to tell'' if the condiment has seen a sales dip due to the backlash.

But it's not too soon for a spirited, flag-waving defense.

''For many Americans, French's mustard is Americana,'' huffed Elliot Penner, president of French's.

Old 03-27-2003, 06:32 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Old 03-27-2003, 06:32 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Does this constitute a "victory" for the French military?
Old 03-27-2003, 06:49 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:59 AM
Nothing, it says, could be more American that the official yellow spread of Yankee Stadium and America's mustard market leader.

I can't stop laughing every time I read that sentence.

I think we're missing the simple, mature solution here - instead of all these press releases the president of French's should just change to name to America's. Easy!
Old 03-27-2003, 06:51 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

The world has become consumed by stupidity. I almost wonder why I bother to care about this rock anymore.

Melon
Old 03-27-2003, 06:51 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eyes
Well now I know it's safe to put mustard on my Freedom Bread (It's the bread formally known as French).
Old 03-27-2003, 06:59 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by daisybean
Well now I know it's safe to put mustard on my Freedom Bread (It's the bread formally known as French).
I like mine with a Freedom Breast (formerly known as Turkey Breast) and of course no sandwich would be complete without a little Freedom Cheese (Formerly known as Swiss Cheese) (American cheese may also substitute)
Old 03-27-2003, 07:04 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Gah will this ever stop??? I dont get what the point is in changing names of things that AMERICANS came up with!!!
Old 03-27-2003, 07:17 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eyes
Is it still safe to eat Genoa Salami?
Old 03-27-2003, 07:20 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by daisybean
Is it still safe to eat Genoa Salami?
Duh - of course, once you rename it. I'm thinking Liberty Salomi, or maybe Patriot Meat. Yeah, yeah, I like that one.
Old 03-27-2003, 07:23 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

And God knows how happy I am that Italy is on our side, I was worried I may have to give up Bologna and pizza!!
Old 03-27-2003, 08:03 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Good Lord, does this mean we must forgo French cuisine in favor of English cuisine?
Old 03-27-2003, 08:52 PM   #14
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
The world has become consumed by stupidity. I almost wonder why I bother to care about this rock anymore.
Old 03-27-2003, 10:10 PM   #15
New Yorker

Quote:
What idiots! everyone knows that the hot dogs -- and knishes for that matter -- that are served at Yankee Stadium are served with a dark spicy mustard. No yellow mustard.

Once again proving that all those people who say "We're all New Yorkers!" are liars.