Statue of Liberty and 9/11 Memorial Vandalized

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
Breaking News

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted on Wed, Mar. 26, 2003

French Statue of Liberty Replica Torched
Associated Press

BORDEAUX, France - Vandals in this southwest Bordeaux torched a replica of the Statue of Liberty and cracked the pedestal of a plaque honoring victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.

The crowned head of the 8-foot-tall statue was blackened by fire and its eyes were marked with red paint, apparently to symbolize tears of blood, an official at the mayor's office said.

The statue and the Sept. 11 plaque are beside each other in a square near the city center.

The mayor of the southwestern city, Alain Juppe, condemned Wednesday's pre-dawn attack, saying the statue's message is especially pertinent in wartime.

"At a time when the world is living a major conflict, it is more important than ever to remain watchful of the values of peace and liberty," said Juppe, a former prime minister.

The Lady Liberty standing in New York Harbor was a gift from France to the United States commemorating freedom and friendship between the nations. It was made by Frederic-Auguste Bartholdi and dedicated in 1886.

Today, tensions between France and the United States have flared over the war in Iraq. French people overwhelmingly oppose the U.S.-led conflict and President Jacques Chirac angered many Americans by trying to slow the U.S. drive to war.

In France, vandals have ransacked McDonald's restaurants in Paris and Strasbourg, targeting the fast food chain as a symbol of American influence.

Cafeterias in the U.S. House of Representatives subsequently changed their menus to read "freedom fries" instead of French fries and "freedom toast" instead of French toast.

Lawmakers also introduced bills preventing France from participating in any postwar reconstruction projects.

related ignorance

Posted on Thu, Mar. 27, 2003

French's spreads the news: Its mustard born in USA

30188930154.jpg

BY CHRISTINA HOAG

Attention mustard mavens: French's is as American as baseball and hot dogs, and what's more, it was born in New York.

A jittery Reckitt Benckiser, the New Jersey-based manufacturer of French's, rushed out a press release to defend its 99-year-old brand after two news networks aired references to French's and switches to store-shelf rival Heinz earlier this month.

With Americans' current anathema to all things fran?ais, French's decided to get out the word that the name of its founder, R.T. French Co., is where it gets its moniker.

Nothing, it says, could be more American that the official yellow spread of Yankee Stadium and America's mustard market leader.

The company got nervous after CNN aired a report about a Fort Wayne, Ind., restaurant's dumping French's in favor of Heinz. That came on top of a Fox News weatherman's banter suggesting that French's was not American, and Heinz made a good mustard.

Company spokesman Jason Amar said ''it's too soon to tell'' if the condiment has seen a sales dip due to the backlash.

But it's not too soon for a spirited, flag-waving defense.

''For many Americans, French's mustard is Americana,'' huffed Elliot Penner, president of French's.

Nothing, it says, could be more American that the official yellow spread of Yankee Stadium and America's mustard market leader.

I can't stop laughing every time I read that sentence.

I think we're missing the simple, mature solution here - instead of all these press releases the president of French's should just change to name to America's. Easy! ;)

The world has become consumed by stupidity. I almost wonder why I bother to care about this rock anymore.

Melon

daisybean said:
Well now I know it's safe to put mustard on my Freedom Bread (It's the bread formally known as French).

I like mine with a Freedom Breast (formerly known as Turkey Breast) and of course no sandwich would be complete without a little Freedom Cheese (Formerly known as Swiss Cheese) (American cheese may also substitute)

And God knows how happy I am that Italy is on our side, I was worried I may have to give up Bologna and pizza!!

What idiots! everyone knows that the hot dogs -- and knishes for that matter -- that are served at Yankee Stadium are served with a dark spicy mustard. No yellow mustard.

Once again proving that all those people who say "We're all New Yorkers!" are liars.

melon said:
The world has become consumed by stupidity. I almost wonder why I bother to care about this rock anymore.

Melon

I couldn't agree more. I'm so disgusted. I'm sorry, but I'm very tired of this Political Trivial Pursuit. Screw the :censored: idiots. :madspit: :mad: :censored: :censored:

:tsk: :tsk: :tsk:

The other day I was completely berated by a coworker because I had my college newspaper (the name of which is a French phrase) on my desk. Uninvited he came in and started going off. It was one of the most stunning and insulting thing I ever ever had happen to me. His grand finale was telling me to "wait until I was older. I'd understand then."

:madspit:

Last edited:
I think France is more anti-U.S. than pro-Iraq. The tactics that Bush used all along--the "if you're not with me, you're against me" tactics--were inevitably going to rub against France, which sees itself as the center of culture and reason itself. In other words, France is as obstinate as the U.S. when it comes to multilateral bodies. In this regard, this is why the U.S. failed on France, but it appears that, in the process, we will use all of our power to humilitate France for not being a rubber stamp like other nations. Maybe Bush didn't bribe France like he did other nations?

Melon

womanfish said:

I like mine with a Freedom Breast (formerly known as Turkey Breast) and of course no sandwich would be complete without a little Freedom Cheese (Formerly known as Swiss Cheese) (American cheese may also substitute)
It is a shame that i can`t offer you freedom tulips and freedom marihuana from the Netherlands.

sharky said:

What idiots! everyone knows that the hot dogs -- and knishes for that matter -- that are served at Yankee Stadium are served with a dark spicy mustard. No yellow mustard.

Once again proving that all those people who say "We're all New Yorkers!" are liars.

So is that why we're stuck with that shitty yellow stuff over at Shea? God damn Yankees f:censored:kin' take everything!

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
This just in... French Stewart will be changing his name to Liberty Stewart

Well, gosh, the bad news is that our word "liberty" is from the French word liberte. Dammit my keyboard doesn't have an accent key, that last e is accented in French.
Just a sidenote: French figure skating fans attended the World Figure Skating Championships in Washington D.C. I know two of them. They reported that they had a great time and there were no politically motivated shenanigans from anyone. They are not political. They cheered Laura Bush in the opening ceremonies last Monday. They came strictly to watch the skating. They had mostly come to cheer skaters from Russia, Bulgaria and France, and many of them were actually holding Bulgarian flags during the ice dance competition to support the bronze medal winning Bulgarian team of Denkova and Staviyski, my personal faves.

verte-- that's why they are called Freedom Fries and not Liberty Fries.

There's yellow mustard at Shea Stadium?

Headache in a Suitcase said:
[Band needless to say... i'm gonna guess after the last olympics the french judges were on their best behavior at this figure skating thing... [/B]

LOL headache. :laugh: :laugh: They have new judging rules, and one of them is that the judges are anonymous. They really did seem to be behaving themselves--whoever the heck they were. That French judge who got in hot water in Salt Lake City is suspended, so I don't believe she was judging.

Back
Top Bottom