State of the Union Address

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This guy isn't a particularly good speechmaker. I particularly dislike the way he's using "there's a better way". It feels like he should be saying:

"There are problems because of [this], [that], and [the other]. There's a better way."

But it seems to me he's saying it more like this:

"There are problems because of [this], [that], [the other], there's a better way."

As if "there's a better way" is part of the problem!

Ah yes..."equality." Hollow words coming from Virginia.

(I chuckle over how Bob Schieffer from CBS just called Kaine "a very conservative Democrat.")

Melon

That was a completely uninspiring speech. Is that the best the Democrats can possibly offer in rebuttal to Bush? :|

Axver said:
That was a completely uninspiring speech. Is that the best the Democrats can possibly offer in rebuttal to Bush? :|

The guy just didn't make a good speech. It was too safe, too concerned with not upsetting anyone. Barak Obama would've been better - he's a Democratic senator, if you didn't know. I'd rather hear any senator over any governer.

namkcuR said:
The guy just didn't make a good speech. It was too safe, too concerned with not upsetting anyone. Barak Obama would've been better - he's a Democratic senator, if you didn't know. I'd rather hear any senator over any governer.

The reason they chose a governor was likely because it came to the Democratic Party's attention, following the defeat of Kerry, that governors are more electable for the presidency than senators. Such has been the prevailing belief since.

Melon

namkcuR said:

The guy just didn't make a good speech. It was too safe, too concerned with not upsetting anyone.

That's exactly what I said in the other thread.

For God's sake, grow a set and stop waffling.

namkcuR said:

Yeah, I've read about Obama, but never heard him speak. What I think is needed is someone not afraid to say what needs to be said and take Bush to pieces. If he'd do that, excellent, give him the job. Put Bush in his place and give everyone two clear options rather than Republican vs Wishy-washy Uninspiring "I Can't Believe It's Not The Republican Party!"

Axver said:

Yeah, I've read about Obama, but never heard him speak. What I think is needed is someone not afraid to say what needs to be said and take Bush to pieces. If he'd do that, excellent, give him the job. Put Bush in his place and give everyone two clear options rather than Republican vs Wishy-washy Uninspiring "I Can't Believe It's Not The Republican Party!"

Exactly. The lack of balls or any ability to do anything right from the Democrats over the Bush years I would think is just as much of a crime and disgrace as the actions actually taken by the Republicans over the Bush years. It should be easy, but for some unknown reason they can't do a step of it right. So fucking dumb. All of them. Incredibly, stunningly stupid.

The exact same scenario in Australia as well. The left should have monstered the last election. Run Howard out the door with his tail between his legs. All they had to do was appear competent. Not great, just competent. They couldn't even manage that.

Earnie Shavers said:

Exactly. The lack of balls or any ability to do anything right from the Democrats over the Bush years I would think is just as much of a crime and disgrace as the actions actually taken by the Republicans over the Bush years. It should be easy, but for some unknown reason they can't do a step of it right. So fucking dumb. All of them. Incredibly, stunningly stupid.

The exact same scenario in Australia as well. The left should have monstered the last election. Run Howard out the door with his tail between his legs. All they had to do was appear competent. Not great, just competent. They couldn't even manage that.

I can't comprehend how Bush continues to survive so unscathed. The Democrats should have ripped him a few thousand new arseholes by now. Really, who are they afraid of offending? Conservatives who'd never vote for them anyway?

And I'm so thankful I fell just short of being old enough to vote in the last election. None of the politicians here inspire me. I'd rather vote for a cartoon character cut out of the Weekend Australian than for any of the parties here.

Axver said:
I can't comprehend how Bush continues to survive so unscathed. The Democrats should have ripped him a few thousand new arseholes by now. Really, who are they afraid of offending? Conservatives who'd never vote for them anyway?

My guess is they are afraid of the GOP personal attack and innuendo machine. Their is no level Karl Rove and his evil minions won't stoop to. And somehow the public just accepts it.

I honestly just sent an email to my Senator asking for her to give Bush a fight. I am so sick of him getting away with everything by using scare tactics to force democrats to back down. I told her we need more plans of our own, and to attack Bush on the wiretap issue, not back down and let him win every time.

Bono's shades said:

My guess is they are afraid of the GOP personal attack and innuendo machine. Their is no level Karl Rove and his evil minions won't stoop to. And somehow the public just accepts it.

So why don't they attack back? The high moral ground? There comes a point where they should just go, fuck that, gloves are off and fight back pound for pound.

Earnie Shavers said:

So why don't they attack back? The high moral ground? There comes a point where they should just go, fuck that, gloves are off and fight back pound for pound.

EXACTLY!! They just back down on every issue if they think it is going to be a political issue. I say just say TO HELL WITH THE GOD DAMN POLLS LETS GIVE THOSE BASTARD A FIGHT!

cjboog said:

EXACTLY!! They just back down on every issue if they think it is going to be a political issue. I say just say TO HELL WITH THE GOD DAMN POLLS LETS GIVE THOSE BASTARD A FIGHT!

Well, that's the point. They've generally got the polls in their favour but the actual votes don't reflect that. That says that people don't like Bush, poll against him out of their true feelings, but vote for him as they don't believe the others can do better. That says more than anything that they need to show stronger, clearer leadership and prove that they have a (better) plan, that they are better people and underscore and run with the public sentiment that the Republicans are fucking things up all over the place.

Again, similar to Australia. We don't have political arguments here because you won't find anyone who doesn't absolutely detest Howard. He has literally managed to step on everyones toes with at least one issue, often many times over many issues. Yet come election day, and it seems to take a very brave person who will go out and vote for anyone else, it's seen as virtual national suicide. That's just fucking pathetic, more than that, it's dangerous. Even my little old mother, who is as conservative (and 'conservative' here means a different set of principles to 'conservative' in the US) as they come and has forever voted accordingly, who championed Howard in the 90's, now desperately wishes his day would come. However, she wouldn't dare vote the other way for what seems to be a very real fear that the entire country would be living in cardboard boxes the next day, and carpet bombed the day after that.

Democrats are just a little unorganized right now. I hate to admit it but all we can do is oppose Bush (which is good), we have trouble coming up with any real unified policies. The party should come up with its own policies instead of just opposing the administration. It's better to do both than just one.

And during Bush's speech I practically laughed out loud when he said something like "Congress didn't adopt my social security plan" and he was interrupted by a loud roar from the democrats. He basically had to completely stop his speech and listen to the dems cheer over their victory. Priceless. How could he not have seen it coming? This has probably been mentioned in the thread already, I just thought it was hilarious.

Am I the only one who thinks the Dems need a definitively alternative vision of their own more urgently than they need a new set of brass knuckles? Or more withered lemons to squeeze into Mr. Rove's Coke.

Again, similar to Australia. We don't have political arguments here because you won't find anyone who doesn't absolutely detest Howard.
A bit on the dramatic side isn't it? Sure gun control, national ID cards, censorship, anti-terror legislation and the selling out of Melanisians for Indonesian military ties piss me off plenty but I don't think that everybody absolutely detests Howard, maybe assumptions like that make election losses so hard to contemplate.
He has literally managed to step on everyones toes with at least one issue, often many times over many issues. Yet come election day, and it seems to take a very brave person who will go out and vote for anyone else, it's seen as virtual national suicide
I suppose that makes just under 50% of the population very brave and the rest spineless weasels.

Aside from the usual partisian responses, did anyone find a component of the speech that they could fully support? Something they found to be a good new direction or initiative?

Not really, I don't know all the details of the intuituve initiative or whatever it was about math and science. It is a good premise but what it will probably end up just taking away money from poor schools who don't do the best in math and science which is the completely wrong idea.

Perhaps we should tackle math and science a different way. I recently heard a study that ranked high school students from various countries according to math and science skills. South Korea was 1. The US was well down the list.

But when you asked the students how they would rank themselves, the US was 1 and South Korea was well down the list.

A victory for self esteem programs, but a loss for math and science.

Back
Top Bottom