State of the Union Address - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2006, 12:00 PM   #136
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by YBORCITYOBL
Points very well taken. I think sometimes I get caught up in the Media Machine and listen to the drivel that's poured forth.
I think that is understandable for everyone here, self included. The State of the Union has evolved from a defining moment in a President's term to a carefully orchestrated hurdle that must be crossed annually. Style replaces substance for the majority of the speeches.

Old 02-01-2006, 12:05 PM   #137
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by the rockin edge

yes, if we really focus on the energy problem like the focus on the 60's space race then solutions should come
There is one potential risk that we would need to face. The space race was largly built on the fears of the Soviet Union. A common enemy unites and drives the masses.

A parallel could be drawn to the Middle East. The oil producing states could be "demonized" so that we desparately want to make them insignificant by having our own sources of energy. This may be a goal in a number of policy questions, though not stated so bluntly.

Old 02-01-2006, 12:09 PM   #138
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
The State of the Union has evolved from a defining moment in a President's term to a carefully orchestrated hurdle that must be crossed annually. Style replaces substance for the majority of the speeches.
i agree totally

if Bush could give a half decent speech then maybe it wouldn't be such a hurdle
Old 02-01-2006, 12:38 PM   #139
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:48 AM
I didn't watch it, I went someplace.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:43 PM   #140
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by the rockin edge

i agree totally

if Bush could give a half decent speech then maybe it wouldn't be such a hurdle
His post 9/11 speeches were highly regarded.

I think of it like the presidential debates. So highly orchestrated and analyzed, that little new comes from the event.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:44 PM   #141
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:48 AM
Quote:

The State of the Union has evolved from a defining moment in a President's term to a carefully orchestrated hurdle that must be crossed annually. Style replaces substance for the majority of the speeches.
Very true.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:22 PM   #142
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:48 AM
I'm coming a bit late to this game, so I'll only offer a couple of general comments.

RE "addicted to oil"--we need a real leader (probably not someone actually in office, maybe from the NGO sector) to lead a social movement here to get us OFF oil, because it will not come from either major party, particularly not the Republicans. I have this idea that we should start wearing "oil patches" on our arm as we metro into work. You know--kicking the habit. It's gimmicky enough to catch on.

RE education, I want to see us move in a direction that embraces interdiciplinary teaching (eg, match and science together, literature and history, etc), experiential learning and authentic assessment. Standardized test have some small place but they are not a substitute for WRITING and READING and problem-solving and engaging in projects that demand critical and creative thinking. Mutliple choice and T/F questions do a poor job of evaluating this, and so what I disklike perhaps more about NCLB is that these tests are its centerpiece and (even worse!) a determinant of funding that struggling schools get.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:25 PM   #143
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:18 AM
I find it hilarious how Bush co-opted the Democrat’s own material as his own. It’s simply brilliant strategery at its finest!
Old 02-01-2006, 06:38 PM   #144
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:48 AM
Quote:
A parallel could be drawn to the Middle East. The oil producing states could be "demonized" so that we desparately want to make them insignificant by having our own sources of energy. This may be a goal in a number of policy questions, though not stated so bluntly.
I think they've already been sufficiently demonized in the eyes of the American public, so I don't think that's going to be a problem.

Melon
Old 02-01-2006, 08:34 PM   #145
The Fly

Something in his speech stuck out like a thorn for me.

The lack of any mention of Bono's war on AIDS and poverty.

2005 was the year organizations like the UK's "Make Poverty History" campaign and the One Campaign made serious efforts to better the situation in Africa. Bono was boasting on Conan O'Brien's show about the 2 million members that signed the One Campaign Declaration. LIVE 8 was the most publicized event in the history of the world, with reports of 2 BILLION people tuning in on TV and the Internet.

DID IT WORK?

All these promises the politicians made to Bono, Geldolf, and the rest...will they follow through?

Apparently Mr. President didn't mention this at all. Shame, shame, SHAME on you. At times I wonder how Bono could be so optimistic about wiping out poverty, especially with people like Bush in office. That's a travesty.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:40 PM   #146
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:48 AM
Don't mean to derail this thread but watching the State of the Union address and coming here on FYM makes me want to go into Politics-International Relations so much more. Everyone on here has so many great ideas and their insights to alot of the issues facing us is interesting. And some of you are so eloquent in your writing.