State of the Union - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2004, 08:59 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:48 AM
State of the Union

Yes, folks, it's time for that annual spectacle we call the "State of the Union" address. It was this spectacle that we got our now (in)famous "Axis of Evil" and his long, drawn out case for war in Iraq that turned out to be a long, drawn out case of lying.

("B...but....UN Resolution 1441!")

(Whatever...we had UN weapons inspectors that Bush demanded in and summarily kicked out on his own in a short span of time; it is clear that the UN and UN Resolution 1441 were only as important to give him some personal moral justification to overthrow Saddam, and it is clear that nothing short of "regime change" was satisfactory. Not that Saddam is missed, but for a political party that was ready to impeach a president over lying about sex, I don't think Bush suddenly has carte blanche to start lying to the UN, Congress, and the American public about anything.)

So, folks, what kind of whoppers will we get tonight? Will Bush invent new American English lexicon to infuriate an already confused British-English speaking world? Will he blame all of his domestic woes on "the gays" to placate his extremist Christian support base? Will Osama bin Laden suddenly be sighted in Ayatollah Khamenei's saffron garden? Or at the Green Party headquarters? Will Bush spawn a new American drinking craze?

Well, folks, the only way to find out is to watch it, and to see what our fearless world commander-in-chief has to say this year. And then you can reply to this thread.

Melon

Old 01-20-2004, 11:03 AM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 06:48 AM
I cringe at the thought.. With all due respect to the jon the man has and to what the fact that the U.S has done something , on th emergency in Africa ,something is I suppose better then nothing .. But if he stands up there all proud about what the US is doing on the HIV/AIDS emergency he is really gonna piss me off considering reports that he is gonna cut the funding by 63% in the following years..

Old 01-20-2004, 11:19 AM   #3
Acrobat

Local Time: 04:48 AM
I love President Bush and his swagger !
Old 01-20-2004, 12:22 PM   #4
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:48 AM
Don't you mean stagger....
Old 01-20-2004, 12:28 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:48 AM
I giggled when I saw the thread title and the next to it.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:39 PM   #6
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Blacksword
Don't you mean stagger....
Swagger - Boastfulness, Strut
Old 01-20-2004, 04:45 PM   #7
The Fly

I hope Bush comes out swinging tonight

I hope this year's State Of The Union address is just as powerful as last year's one. I hope Bush's makes massive cuts to the AIDS funding, after 20 years of funding Africa to fight AIDS, there are more people over there dying of AIDS than ever before. We must stop giving them money and instead start spending that money on interests of America, not ungrateful 3rd worlders that can't even practice self control and stop using IV drug needles.

I also hope Bush mentions tonight that Iran and Libya backed down from nuclear programs after they saw what Bush did to Iraq. When Saddam fell, suddenly Libya and Iran knew Bush wasn't joking around, and they changed their ways. Bush needs to underline how his war in Iraq is also changing the behavior of other world leaders that could create nuclear material and sell it on the black market.

I also hope Bush outlines the second part of the Patriot Act, as there are far too many people coming to America from certain parts of the world and they're coming here to do damage. We've seen that with the first Patriot Act, everything from tracking kidnappers to finding out more information about terrorists has been accomplished with this revolutionary Act, that was co-written by the lawyer John Edwards.

Let's hope Bush gets up there tonight and shows why he and America are a pioneer, and why he is also beating all the Democrat candidates in the polls. Let's also hope that Laura Bush is wearing a nice little form-fitting number tonight.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:59 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

I'm sure it will be riveting - get your popcorn ready everyone

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/...nce/index.html
Old 01-20-2004, 05:29 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Aw crap, Melon already posted the drinking game link.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:37 PM   #10
An Angel In Devil's Shoes

me watching the state of the union:

Old 01-20-2004, 07:52 PM   #11

oh i just LOOOVE bush! honestly, can you IMAGINE how HORRIBLE it would be if al gore had won?!?! my gosh, we would have clean air, clean water, who wants that? we would have support for the education system, money would be flowing to africa, really that's quite nightmarish! oh, and did i mention how much i LOVE sarcasm?
Old 01-20-2004, 11:53 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

melon,

"Whatever...we had UN weapons inspectors that Bush demanded in and summarily kicked out on his own in a short span of time; it is clear that the UN and UN Resolution 1441 were only as important to give him some personal moral justification to overthrow Saddam, and it is clear that nothing short of "regime change" was satisfactory"

Can you name which requirements and resolutions that SADDAM complied with? Did SADDAM verifiably disarm as required when UN inspector were in Iraq in 2002/2003? Do you know when Saddam was required per a Ceacefire agreement to verifiably disarm? Has any leader in the world been given more time than Saddam to verifiably disarm once it was required of them?

Why should the UN exist and pass resolutions if it is unwilling or unable to enforce them, especially the most serious resolutions that authorized the use of military force as a means of enforcement. Ever hear of the League of Nations? Is that what we want for the future of the United Nations?

I suppose some think that a dictator that has: invaded and attacked 4 countries over the past 20 years, spent more of his countries GDP as a percentage, on WMD, than any country in history, used WMD more times than any country in history, murdered over 1.7 million people, threatened the planets energy supplies with destruction or theft and for that matter the entire planets economy and way of life, : is not such a threat and should be continued to be talked with while he prepares for his next move. How bad could his next move be, Right? Far better to risk global security, the Global Economy, the lives of thousands of people, the relevancy of the UN, while having Green Tea with this Thug to discuss the issues, Right?
Old 01-21-2004, 12:11 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:48 AM
LOVE the title/smilie comb melon !
Old 01-21-2004, 12:41 AM   #14
The Fly

Local Time: 03:48 AM
Re: I hope Bush comes out swinging tonight

Quote:
Originally posted by U2LipstickBoy
I hope this year's State Of The Union address is just as powerful as last year's one. I hope Bush's makes massive cuts to the AIDS funding, after 20 years of funding Africa to fight AIDS, there are more people over there dying of AIDS than ever before. We must stop giving them money and instead start spending that money on interests of America, not ungrateful 3rd worlders that can't even practice self control and stop using IV drug needles.

That is quite possibly the most ignorant thing I have heard in quite a longtime.
Thanks for the laugh.

--Eric
Old 01-21-2004, 02:55 AM   #15
An Angel In Devil's Shoes

how come with almost every state of the union address i switch channels about 20 minutes into it?