State of the Union - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2004, 02:23 PM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:35 AM
Re: ...

Quote:
Originally posted by U2LipstickBoy
Marriage is a union where a child can be created and raised with parents of both gender. Those other people are unable to have children naturally, and they resort to such medical procedures that would overcome this shortfall or they adopt to acquire children, but they cannot change that nature does not want them to have children.
You are aware that infertile heterosexual couples also have medical procedures to overcome this "shortfall" even though "nature does not want them to have children," yes?

Old 01-22-2004, 02:26 PM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
"As Americans, we have every right to choose who in society will not be granted the benefit of marriage." What right? You are just an American. Not American as in a grand and great title which gives unbelievable credibility. You are just a man in the grand scheme of things. A mere man. You and those who think like you, are not so grand and morally right to be believing you actually have a say in what is to be for other mere men (or women as the case may be). You base this solely on opinion.

Old 01-22-2004, 03:26 PM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Soooo... following Kevin Smith's Dogma line of logic ("One of the last sacred promises imparted to Peter the first Pope by the Son of God before He left was "Whatever you hold true on earth ... I'll hold true in Heaven.""), if only the Vatican would sanction homosexual marriages, then the sanctity of marriage is safe and all is right with the world. Now if only the Vatican could acknowledge their true colors....

sorry... just injecting some innocuous humor
Old 01-22-2004, 05:24 PM   #64
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
I respect the sanctity of marriage, but in the context of my Catholicism. In the Catholic Church, marriage is a sacrament. I am also a United States citizen. I think gay couples should be able to make a deal with the state in a court of law. Someone's religion is a private matter and is *not* connected to the state. It shouldn't be. The last thing we need is politicians dictating morality. I'm sorry, I think there's something inconsistent with that.
I think that straight couples should be able to make a deal with the state in a court of law and we should kick religion back into the Dark Ages where it belongs.

Melon
Old 01-22-2004, 05:37 PM   #65
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
I think that straight couples should be able to make a deal with the state in a court of law and we should kick religion back into the Dark Ages where it belongs.

Melon
The idea of the church controlling the state does indeed belong in the Dark Ages. Blurring the distinction led to some real
Old 01-22-2004, 05:41 PM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:35 AM
In response to the question about gay marriage possibly setting off lowered restrictions in heterosexual marriage:

i just don't think that is going to happen. The incest taboo in our country I don't think is ever going to change much, it exists in varying degrees in every culture, and i haven't seen any move to change it in ours. Like i said earlier, people used to use that kind of reasoning to argue why interracial couples shouldn't be allowed to marry. They said what next, people marrying animals, relatives, etc. It didn't happen then and it's not going to happen now either.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:05 PM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Melon
Wait a minute, are you saying that the only way a couple can get married in the US is before a church??
Old 01-22-2004, 06:10 PM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 10:35 AM
. Well said, every one of you who support homosexual marriage.

Angela
Old 01-22-2004, 06:49 PM   #69
War Child

Some more analysis/reality-check here:

http://www.movingideas.org/blitz/sotu2004.html
Old 01-22-2004, 07:18 PM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

ILuvLarryMullen,

Would there be any restrictions on Gay Marriage as there is on Heterosexual Marriage?
Old 01-22-2004, 11:00 PM   #71
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:35 AM
I'm not sure what you mean Sting. Can you please clarify/give examples? I would expect that homosexual marriage would have the same restrictions (incest, age, etc.)
Old 01-23-2004, 12:26 AM   #72
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

ILuvLarryMullen,

"I would expect that homosexual marriage would have the same restrictions (incest, age, etc.)"

That is the answer I was looking for.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:14 AM   #73
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth
Wait a minute, are you saying that the only way a couple can get married in the US is before a church??
No, but because of the fact that you have an option of going in front of a secular figure or a church to complete a marriage license, some people get some ideas in their head that state marriage is also religious marriage.

In France, I think there is no such confusion for the simple-minded masses.

Melon
Old 01-23-2004, 07:16 AM   #74
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
ILuvLarryMullen,

"I would expect that homosexual marriage would have the same restrictions (incest, age, etc.)"

That is the answer I was looking for.
I agree.

If people are worried about incest or animals or inanimate objects, then please: propose a constitutional amendment to define marriage between two people, regardless of gender.

Melon
Old 01-23-2004, 12:09 PM   #75
Blue Crack Addict

http://news.yahoo.com/?tmpl=story&u=...73651074779609

In recent days, unconfirmed reports have circulated that, despite public appeals from Evangelical leaders, AIDS experts, and others, Bush intends once again to request less than the $3 billion already authorized by Congress for fiscal year 2005, including only $200 million for the Global Fund, a sum, that, if matched proportionately by other donor nations, would provide only a small fraction of the $3.5 billion the Global Fund estimates is needed to begin to curb the spread of what is already the most lethal epidemic in recorded history.