"State of Denial" by Bob Woodward - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2006, 01:56 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 07:15 PM
"State of Denial" by Bob Woodward

Woodward's third book about the Bush administration has a very different tone than the previous two, and the White House must be grasping for ways to spin it other than to calling it 'old news'. How do you think this will affect the coming election?

Old 10-01-2006, 02:42 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:15 PM
Practically, I don't think it will have any effect. The sum total of information coming out over the past few years might affect who controls at least one of the Congressional bodies, but when it comes down to it, these are local and statewide elections, not national.

I don't think the book will change anyone's mind, although it might solidify a viewpoint.

Old 10-01-2006, 02:52 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

I haven't read it.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:09 PM   #4
War Child

There is a lengthy exerpt at newsweek.com
Old 10-01-2006, 05:28 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

I'm checking out this week's Newsweek and I may buy the book.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:29 PM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 02:15 PM
Woodward's 60 Minutes interview was quite damning. I'll probably read the book.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:00 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:15 PM
Such a neutral source too! I am sure he has no agenda publishing this just over a month before the election!

Woodward is nothing more than a polished up Michael Moore.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:48 AM   #8
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AEON

You may want to read up on him a little.

"Woodward has spent the most time of any journalist with President George W. Bush, interviewing him four times for more than seven hours total. Woodward's three most recent books, Bush at War (2002) Plan of Attack (2004), and, State of Denial: Bush at War, Part III (2006) are detailed accounts of the Bush presidency, including the response to the September 11 terrorist attacks and the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. In a series of articles published in January 2002, he and Dan Balz described the events at Camp David in the aftermath of September 11. In these articles, they mention the Worldwide Attack Matrix.

Woodward has been accused by a few critics of being too close to the Bush administration, and some say his relationship with the current administration is in stark contrast to his investigative role in Watergate. Others disagree, however. In 2004 both the Bush campaign and the Kerry-Edwards campaign recommended his book Plan of Attack, and The New York Times said the book contained “convincing accounts of White House failures... presented alongside genial encounters with the president.” Woodward's latest book, State of Denial, describes alleged tensions and dysfunctions within the Bush administration in the lead-up to, and following, the invasion of Iraq.

On Monday, October 2, 2006, Woodward's new book "State of Denial" will be released. Excerpts of the book have already been provided to the CBS's "60 Minutes" and the Washington Post."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Woodward

Doesn't sound like Moore at all.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:38 AM   #9
Anu
Editor

Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
All the President's Men is one of my favorite movies of all time, and as a young writer, the Redford and Hoffman versions of Woodward and Bernstein were iconic mentors to me.

When the early Bush books came out, I wondered if he'd been huffing glue or smoking crack or had just been bought off by the crime syndicate known as the Republican Party.

Good to learn he may have gotten sober from the drug known as Empire.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:57 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

I saw 60 Minutes, the scary part is that nothing in this book that I've heard so far really surprises me. Even when he mentioned Bush Sr. being so aghast/against Iraq-my impression has always been that it's Barbara who thinks GW can do no wrong.

I don't understand how people can come out now and dispute what's in the book if they talked to Woodward. I would imagine he has it all on tape.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:33 AM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Such a neutral source too! I am sure he has no agenda publishing this just over a month before the election!

garbage.

do you have ANYTHING to support this statement?

if anything, Woodward has lost credibility because he is perceived as being too soft on Bush, that he traded objectivity for access.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:57 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

garbage.

do you have ANYTHING to support this statement?

if anything, Woodward has lost credibility because he is perceived as being too soft on Bush, that he traded objectivity for access.
Woodward would not have been invited back a second time if he were not objective.

It has nothing to do with the election, and shame on anyone who would chalk it up to politics. This man has been given the keys to the White House because the President had faith in him to be objective. Suddenly he is a partisan because he wrote something negative?

Horseshit.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:58 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

It has nothing to do with the election, and shame on anyone who would chalk it up to politics.
You are kidding right? Are you being sarcastic? A book like this coming out just before the election? I MAY believe that it wasn't politically motivated if it came out in December.

I'm sorry to break your heart, but Woodward is not considered objective by conservatives. He may not be as radical as Moore, which is why he gets more access than other liberal investigative reporters - but the right does not consider him objective.

This guy made a name for himself because he brought down a presidency. He' still trying to live off that steam.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:04 PM   #14
Refugee

He seemed pretty objective to me in the 60 Minutes interview. Much more so than the smug Mike Wallace.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:05 PM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

You are kidding right? Are you being sarcastic? A book like this coming out just before the election? I MAY believe that it wasn't politically motivated if it came out in December.

I'm sorry to break your heart, but Woodward is not considered objective by conservatives. He may not be as radical as Moore, which is why he gets more access than other liberal investigative reporters - but the right does not consider him objective.

This guy made a name for himself because he brought down a presidency. He' still trying to live off that steam.

well, by your rubrick, conservatives consider Ann Coulter the very model of objectivity, so carry on.

god help us if the powers that be have so warped and brainwashed us all into thinking that any information that doesn't tow their party line is "biased."

it's 1984.