"State of Denial" by Bob Woodward - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2006, 03:06 PM   #16
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AEON

You are kidding right? Are you being sarcastic? A book like this coming out just before the election? I MAY believe that it wasn't politically motivated if it came out in December.

I'm sorry to break your heart, but Woodward is not considered objective by conservatives. He may not be as radical as Moore, which is why he gets more access than other liberal investigative reporters - but the right does not consider him objective.

This guy made a name for himself because he brought down a presidency. He' still trying to live off that steam.
This administration has recommended his writing, I'm sure if they didn't find him objective they would have ignored or attacked his writing.

As far as the release date, October November is a big release time for books...

Living off that steam? You know very little about Woodward.

Old 10-02-2006, 05:07 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:43 AM
Quote:

You are kidding right? Are you being sarcastic? A book like this coming out just before the election? I MAY believe that it wasn't politically motivated if it came out in December.

I'm sorry to break your heart, but Woodward is not considered objective by conservatives. He may not be as radical as Moore, which is why he gets more access than other liberal investigative reporters - but the right does not consider him objective.

This guy made a name for himself because he brought down a presidency. He' still trying to live off that steam.
No I am very serious.

[Q]This guy made a name for himself because he brought down a presidency. He' still trying to live off that steam. [/Q]

And dang it all, the country was worse of because he did.

You are joking right?

Old 10-02-2006, 05:16 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:43 AM
For further clarity about how serious I am....

I have read "Bush at War" and used it to defend him in this forum.

Why would the White House have given him such access if he were not respected?

[Q]From Publishers Weekly
Based on exhaustive research and remarkable access to the White House, including two sessions with President Bush and more than 75 interviews with administration officials, veteran Washington Post assistant managing editor Woodward delivers an engrossing blow-by-blow of the run-up to war in Iraq. [/Q]

[Q]From Publishers Weekly
Quoting liberally from transcripts of National Security Council meetings and hundreds of interviews with those in the presidential inner circle, including four hours of interviews with Bush himself, the Washington Post assistant managing editor, best-selling author and Watergate muckraker manages to provide a nonpartisan account of the first 100 days of the post September 11 war on terror. [/Q]

God damn that Woodward....Sounds like he has been out to get Bush all along.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:51 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:43 AM
I heard Seymour Hersh speak the other night (he's one of the most respected independent journalists in the country, the guy who broke the Abu Ghraib story) and he commented that regardless of what one may think of Woodward, he always gets his facts right.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:49 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
I heard Seymour Hersh speak the other night (he's one of the most respected independent journalists in the country, the guy who broke the Abu Ghraib story) and he commented that regardless of what one may think of Woodward, he always gets his facts right.
This guy?

Source wikipedia -

Seymour Myron (Sy) Hersh (born April 8, 1937) is a highly controversial American Pulitzer Prize winning investigative journalist and author based in New York City. He is a regular contributor to The New Yorker magazine on military and security matters.

His work first gained worldwide recognition in 1969 for exposing the My Lai massacre and its cover-up during the Vietnam War, for which he received the 1970 Pulitzer Prize for International Reporting. His 2004 reports on the US Military's treatment of detainees at Abu Ghraib prison gained much attention.

In 2006 he reported on the US military's plans for Iran, which allegedly called for the use of nuclear weapons against that country. No independent confirmation of these alleged plans were ever made.

Hirsh's supporters regard him as a dogged and fearless digger of uncomfortable facts. His detractors see him as leftist rumor-monger whose stories are often unsubstantiated and ideologically motivated.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:51 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:43 PM
Wikipedia should be used to raise intrest in a topic, not as source of good information.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:42 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Rono
Wikipedia should be used to raise intrest in a topic, not as source of good information.
Yes, considering that anyone can add to Wikipedia. A total klutz can add to an article if they damn please.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:48 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Rono
It seems many posters use wiki as a neutral source.

I just wanted to point out that our little journalist isn't considered as "independent" as the poster would have us assume.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:57 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:43 AM
Were his facts not correct?
Old 10-03-2006, 06:04 PM   #25
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
Were his facts not correct?
I don't think that really matters to some in here.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:12 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:43 AM
Old 10-03-2006, 06:12 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:13 AM
Facts don't matter, it's about denial,diversion, attacking the messenger and comparisons to other events which have a vague similarity to the topic. And if your target attempts to defend himself or raises his objections beyond a calm demeanor, portray the target as a nutjob or as unruly.

Republicans rule!
Old 10-03-2006, 06:15 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Such a neutral source too! I am sure he has no agenda publishing this just over a month before the election!

Woodward is nothing more than a polished up Michael Moore.
Michael Moore never brought down a presidency, my friend. Ever heard of a little scandal called Watergate?
Old 10-03-2006, 06:17 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

You are completely wrong. Woodward is considered objective by many conservatives, including the current White House. They advertised his last book, "Bush at War" on the White House website and called it "recommended reading."

Old 10-03-2006, 06:21 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:13 AM
All writers who don't blindly and rabidly support conservative positions are not considered objective by conservatives. I think that's pretty straightforward. If you are against anything conservatives support, you are totally for the extreme opposite of the issue. Anti-death penalty means support freeing of murderers to society. Pro-choice means you want to kill babies. Anti-war means support terrorism. And so on.

Now Ann Coulter, Bill O ReillyFox News, Rush Limbaugh, they're objective. Except when/if they criticize Bush.