Star Wars Episode 3: An Anti-Bush Film? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2005, 07:09 AM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:49 AM

If Darth Vader or Darth Sidious, whichever one Bush is supposed to be...If they don't know how to pronounce nuclear, then it's an anti-Bush film for sure

Old 05-18-2005, 07:22 AM   #62
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
As for U2 and Bono's lyrics, they would be the first to tell that there is nothing Vague about songs like "Pride" or "New Years Day" as well as many other songs. Also, not everyone including U2 themselves(from what I have read) would agree with your description of BOY and its contents.
i'll deal with the Lucas stuff later, but as for Boy, please check out the big U2 lyrics book -- i think it's by Niall Stokes, or something. there's ample talk about lyrics in "stories for boys" ("sometimes a hero takes me") and in "shadows and tall trees" ("the old man tried to walk me home/ i thought he should have known") that Bono has looked at, in retrospect, and said something to the effect of "your'e right -- it's totally about being hit on by a guy." and the comments about gay people showing up at U2's early concerts because they responded to much in that album -- i believe either Adam or Larry commented on their naivete at the time, thinking they were just rich punks.

and at the end, it doesn't matter what Bono says. it matters what the listener hears, and then just how well that listener can defend his/her analysis.

Boy, to me, is hugely sexual, and hugely about confusion, and the place where all these things intersects in the shadows where boy meets man.

Old 05-18-2005, 04:07 PM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

As for U2 and Bono's lyrics, they would be the first to tell that there is nothing Vague about songs like "Pride" or "New Years Day" as well as many other songs. Also, not everyone including U2 themselves(from what I have read) would agree with your description of BOY and its contents.
Mostly I think U2/Bono are pretty open about 'external' songs, but not 'internal' songs. eg, Pride, New Years Day etc are about specific people/events/beliefs/ideas, and he's always happy to talk about that and promote the message. 'Internal' songs, like much of their 90's stuff, is a bit different. It's coming from somewhere very personal and it's left vague deliberately. Make sense? That's just my take.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:57 PM   #64
Refugee

Local Time: 01:49 PM
To get back to Sw a minute...

I live across the street from the big shopping ,all with the 18-plex where I'll be seeing the film. I was not able to get a ticket to the midnight showing this time..SOB!!..thinking they'd go onslae 2 weeks before like usual, but this time it was a month before!! Oh well...I am going to the 4:30 showing tomorrow (which means getting in line at 2:30..I've gotten very good at this...

would you believe, I was at the theater earlier today around 1 PM to exchange my 7 PM tix for the 4:30 show, and there was already crowd of 30+ people sitting in a cordoned off section with a big SW sign. There were people in costume. 2 Vasers and an Excellent Chewbacca (who roared)!.

I joked with the guy at the ticket counter, "You should see U2 fans....they're almost as bad." ("They" meaning the Sw bunch)

MUST resit tempation to go back and take pic of the fans...In a way I'm glad I;'m not at the midnight showing there's going to be alot of tears as well. The last time we'll be seeing a new SW film in a theater for the first time....LOTR was only 3 yrs long. I was there In The Beginning....

Reading the reviews, getting EVEN MORE excited. oscarwatch.com has some great ones. One non-media fan "after 28 yrs, he's finally gotten it right again" and that the film "is the stuff of immortal tragedies..it has a wonderful operatic feel."

One other guy wrote a review for a Seattle paper saying flatly that it should be considered for a Best Picture Oscar nom. (!!!!!)

One thing though: How can they NOT Lucas an major award of some kind? We're talking a life's work, an almost 30 yrs, 6-film cycle here. If they could give the fantast LOTR oscars for a cohesive body of work, not this?
Old 05-18-2005, 11:49 PM   #65
ONE
love, blood, life

Just saw the movie.....

it was incredible
Old 05-19-2005, 12:35 AM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:49 PM
I'm just leaving work to go see it.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:52 AM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

NY Times article

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/19/mo...rint&position=

"Peter Sealey, a former marketing chief at Columbia Pictures, said the partisan tug of war over the new "Star Wars" episode seemed absurd, likening the political interpretations of it to a Rorschach test. But he said Mr. Lucas was probably savvy in adding sizzle and relevance to a movie that otherwise might have earned publicity only by its effectiveness as entertainment.

"He could've come out and said, 'That's ridiculous - this is the white hats and black hats of the 1950's in space,' and quashed it," said Mr. Sealey, who teaches entertainment marketing at the University of California, Berkeley. "Did he do that? No, and it was probably smart. If he can get 'Star Wars' brought into the debate over unilateralism and the Iraq war, it just brings a current spin to it. And I don't think it's going to rule people out."
Old 05-19-2005, 07:01 AM   #68
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Just saw the movie.....

it was incredible

please let it be good please let it be good please let it be good please let it be good please let it be good please let it be good
Old 05-19-2005, 07:02 AM   #69
Blue Crack Supplier

if Annakin behads Jar-Jar, then i'm sure i'll like it.

Old 05-19-2005, 08:20 AM   #70
Refugee

Local Time: 01:49 PM
Quote:
if Annakin behads Jar-Jar, then i'm sure i'll like it.
Its not 'that' good.

He does, however, lay waste to a lot of genuinely irritating characters. I sort of missed the point, I think, seeing as it was meant to be tragic, but I found myself cheering the Sith on, thinking to myself 'you've had it coming for years, you self-righteous ponce'.

Then again, I always thought the dark side had the edge.

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 05-19-2005, 09:59 AM   #71
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Just saw the movie.....

it was incredible
I with you brother Dread!

People will see in the movie what they want to see.

You can draw parallels with any political agenda, using bits and pieces of the film.

I wouldn't recommend the film if you just want to pump up a hatred of GWB.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:00 AM   #72
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
are there those little cute bears???
Old 05-19-2005, 10:07 AM   #73
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

I with you brother Dread!

People will see in the movie what they want to see.

You can draw parallels with any political agenda, using bits and pieces of the film.

I wouldn't recommend the film if you just want to pump up a hatred of GWB.

well, i'm excited, though i won't get to see it until next week (got a really busy weekend) and i'm gong to see it at the Uptown Theater in Cleveland Park -- 3 story screen.

one question though: perhaps Lucas is criticizing Bush; perhaps people see parallels to the fall of the Republic via fear mongering as relevant to the USA of today; why, then, do you call this "hatred"?

this was tossed out all through the election. criticizm of the president, the administration, etc., was all tantamount to "Bush bashing" or "hatred." is there no such thing as thoughtful opposition anymore?

i fully admit that i've bashed Bush, but sometimes i've criticized him on specific points -- the latter does not connotate hatred (and i don't hate the man ... i might hate much of what he does, but i don't hate him personally).

those who criticize those who criticize GWB would do well not to imitate what it is they state they object to (i.e., calling all criticizm of Bush "hatred" is, in itself, as stupid as hating Bush).
Old 05-19-2005, 02:21 PM   #74
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:49 PM
No, criticism is fine, but when you see plays written about Killing Bush, people wearing t-shirts to that effect and general crazyness on the fringe elements where Bush becomes a genocidal dictator it is hatred.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:27 PM   #75
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:49 AM
or

free speech