Star Wars Episode 3: An Anti-Bush Film?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
STING2 said:
As for U2 and Bono's lyrics, they would be the first to tell that there is nothing Vague about songs like "Pride" or "New Years Day" as well as many other songs. Also, not everyone including U2 themselves(from what I have read) would agree with your description of BOY and its contents.

i'll deal with the Lucas stuff later, but as for Boy, please check out the big U2 lyrics book -- i think it's by Niall Stokes, or something. there's ample talk about lyrics in "stories for boys" ("sometimes a hero takes me") and in "shadows and tall trees" ("the old man tried to walk me home/ i thought he should have known") that Bono has looked at, in retrospect, and said something to the effect of "your'e right -- it's totally about being hit on by a guy." and the comments about gay people showing up at U2's early concerts because they responded to much in that album -- i believe either Adam or Larry commented on their naivete at the time, thinking they were just rich punks.

and at the end, it doesn't matter what Bono says. it matters what the listener hears, and then just how well that listener can defend his/her analysis.

Boy, to me, is hugely sexual, and hugely about confusion, and the place where all these things intersects in the shadows where boy meets man.

STING2 said:

As for U2 and Bono's lyrics, they would be the first to tell that there is nothing Vague about songs like "Pride" or "New Years Day" as well as many other songs. Also, not everyone including U2 themselves(from what I have read) would agree with your description of BOY and its contents.

Mostly I think U2/Bono are pretty open about 'external' songs, but not 'internal' songs. eg, Pride, New Years Day etc are about specific people/events/beliefs/ideas, and he's always happy to talk about that and promote the message. 'Internal' songs, like much of their 90's stuff, is a bit different. It's coming from somewhere very personal and it's left vague deliberately. Make sense? That's just my take.

To get back to Sw a minute...

I live across the street from the big shopping ,all with the 18-plex where I'll be seeing the film. I was not able to get a ticket to the midnight showing this time..SOB!!..thinking they'd go onslae 2 weeks before like usual, but this time it was a month before!! Oh well...I am going to the 4:30 showing tomorrow (which means getting in line at 2:30..I've gotten very good at this:)...

would you believe, I was at the theater earlier today around 1 PM to exchange my 7 PM tix for the 4:30 show, and there was already crowd of 30+ people sitting in a cordoned off section with a big SW sign. There were people in costume. 2 Vasers and an Excellent Chewbacca (who roared)!.

I joked with the guy at the ticket counter, "You should see U2 fans....they're almost as bad." ("They" meaning the Sw bunch)

MUST resit tempation to go back and take pic of the fans...In a way I'm glad I;'m not at the midnight showing there's going to be alot of tears as well. The last time we'll be seeing a new SW film in a theater for the first time....LOTR was only 3 yrs long. I was there In The Beginning....

Reading the reviews, getting EVEN MORE excited. oscarwatch.com has some great ones. One non-media fan "after 28 yrs, he's finally gotten it right again" and that the film "is the stuff of immortal tragedies..it has a wonderful operatic feel."

One other guy wrote a review for a Seattle paper saying flatly that it should be considered for a Best Picture Oscar nom. (!!!!!)

One thing though: How can they NOT Lucas an major award of some kind? We're talking a life's work, an almost 30 yrs, 6-film cycle here. If they could give the fantast LOTR oscars for a cohesive body of work, not this?

NY Times article

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/19/m...6400&partner=MYWAY&pagewanted=print&position=

"Peter Sealey, a former marketing chief at Columbia Pictures, said the partisan tug of war over the new "Star Wars" episode seemed absurd, likening the political interpretations of it to a Rorschach test. But he said Mr. Lucas was probably savvy in adding sizzle and relevance to a movie that otherwise might have earned publicity only by its effectiveness as entertainment.

"He could've come out and said, 'That's ridiculous - this is the white hats and black hats of the 1950's in space,' and quashed it," said Mr. Sealey, who teaches entertainment marketing at the University of California, Berkeley. "Did he do that? No, and it was probably smart. If he can get 'Star Wars' brought into the debate over unilateralism and the Iraq war, it just brings a current spin to it. And I don't think it's going to rule people out."

Dreadsox said:
Just saw the movie.....

it was incredible

please let it be good please let it be good please let it be good please let it be good please let it be good please let it be good

if Annakin behads Jar-Jar, then i'm sure i'll like it.

Its not 'that' good.

He does, however, lay waste to a lot of genuinely irritating characters. I sort of missed the point, I think, seeing as it was meant to be tragic, but I found myself cheering the Sith on, thinking to myself 'you've had it coming for years, you self-righteous ponce'.

Then again, I always thought the dark side had the edge. :mac:

Ant.

Dreadsox said:
Just saw the movie.....

it was incredible

:up: I with you brother Dread!

People will see in the movie what they want to see.

You can draw parallels with any political agenda, using bits and pieces of the film.

I wouldn't recommend the film if you just want to pump up a hatred of GWB.

nbcrusader said:

You can draw parallels with any political agenda, using bits and pieces of the film.

well, i'm excited, though i won't get to see it until next week (got a really busy weekend) and i'm gong to see it at the Uptown Theater in Cleveland Park -- 3 story screen. :hyper:

one question though: perhaps Lucas is criticizing Bush; perhaps people see parallels to the fall of the Republic via fear mongering as relevant to the USA of today; why, then, do you call this "hatred"?

this was tossed out all through the election. criticizm of the president, the administration, etc., was all tantamount to "Bush bashing" or "hatred." is there no such thing as thoughtful opposition anymore?

i fully admit that i've bashed Bush, but sometimes i've criticized him on specific points -- the latter does not connotate hatred (and i don't hate the man ... i might hate much of what he does, but i don't hate him personally).

those who criticize those who criticize GWB would do well not to imitate what it is they state they object to (i.e., calling all criticizm of Bush "hatred" is, in itself, as stupid as hating Bush).

No, criticism is fine, but when you see plays written about Killing Bush, people wearing t-shirts to that effect and general crazyness on the fringe elements where Bush becomes a genocidal dictator it is hatred.

nbcrusader said:

Yeah, there's nothing in it aside from that one line.

It is visually stunning. It pulls it all together greatly. I just wish someone had convinced Lucas that he needs a seperate dialogue writer, particularly for the love stuff.....

Anyone else catch the 'blink and you miss it' Millenium Falcon cameo?

So who does anyone think Yoda would/could represent politically?

I saw it this afternoon and only thought of the politcal implications because that was already in my head.

Hm. Did anybody note the symbolism of Yoda and Palpatine.Emeror fighting IN AN EMPTY SENATE CHAMBER--and that neither wins the fight in there?

All I can say is: Those of you who haven't gone yet, bring a couple Kleenex because you'll find yourself trying not to cry the last 35 mins or so.

*SPOLIER*

When a tearful Obi-wan screams down at the roasting Anakin, "You were my brother! I loved you!" I lost it. Yegads, I actually heard people sniffling in the theater. Lucas showed a lot of things I didn[t expect him to..and the slower-paced '70's trilogy with the old Obi-wan is going to feel even more eerie. And when Palpatine answers the newly suited Darth Vader's question about Padme, I said, "You SOB" at the screen...

Later, peoples.

MTFBWY

I'll have a mini-review in a few days. I'm leaving for my U2 show soon.

George Lucas or the Millenium Falcon?
After the opening sequence finishes, and Anakin/Obi are joking around about who gets to have the fun of hanging with the politicians, right before Padme makes her first appearance. As they are landing there (just before the conversation), there's a long shot of that whole 'port' area and you can see dozens of ships arriving and leaving. Look almost to the very bottom right hand corner of the screen and clear as day there's the Millenium Falcon arriving.

Thanks...but I meant Lucas too.

Now I have to imagine Lando in that scene (flying the Falcon..I've read the novels that tell of Lando's old life and Han's youth)..this is eeeire.

Later (back in few days)

Put spoilers in sky blue and have spoiler tags like so

**SPOILER** (Highlight to read)
Darth Vader is Luke Skywalkers father!
**END SPOILER**

I thought the movie was very good, I would put it number 2 after Empire but that one line makes no sense, I mean Palpatine/Sideous seduces Anakin to the dark side at least in part through relativistic arguments about morality there was no black and white only grey, and Anakin went along with it until his own perspective was so twisted. I suppose that the message was ultimately that everybody thinks that they are righteous, I also think that the story of abused power follows the rise of Hitler more than the actions of President Bush, and the tale of a republic turning to empire goes back to Rome and a democracy turning to a totallitarian state is timeless.

Criticising free speech is also part of freedom of speech. To criticise the arguments of somebody who says Bush = Hitler is not silencing dissent.

MrsSpringsteen said:
So who does anyone think Yoda would/could represent politically?
It's obvious that episode 3 yoda was crafted on Karl Rove :wink:

karl-rove-headshot.jpg

:p

If only he could have gotten this worked up over Natalie Portman :D

Hayden Christiansen has corroborated suspicions that "Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith" is a stealth missile aimed at the White House. Anakin Skywalker admitted to an interviewer that he "wouldn't mind giving George Bush a good shaking with my light-saber."

And Karl Rove is no Yoda..

I've got a new "Star Wars"-esque saying now:

"Only Republicans think in absolutes."

:sexywink:

Melon

Yoda? KARL ROVE?

What brand of crack are you smoking A Wanderer?

Or maybe you were in my box (section 419) at the MSG show, and secondhand smoked a little too much pot? (after Miracle Drug, someone broke out the stash, BIG TIME, and I swear, I'm STILL high:ohmy: )

Or..maybe you WERE the guy with the pot.

Teta040 said:
Yoda? KARL ROVE?

What brand of crack are you smoking A Wanderer?

He did put a smiley beside the comment, in fairness.

Physically, Yoda looks more like Dick Cheney I would have thought. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom