Stanley Tookie Williams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Justin24 said:
I respect your opinion Bonovox and I hope you do the same with me.

I respect the fact that everyone has a right to their opinion. And I will listen to everyone's opionion. But they have to be able to back up their opinion.

Opinions are nothing without the ability to back those opinions up with facts, or reasoning and logic.

I wanted to reply to this, but I think I have to try and take a break from this place for a while. I don't think it's good for my health; and as physically ill as I've made myself over the last couple days over this place (I guess anger really can affect your health), you just have to know when to quit for a while.

nbcrusader said:
Well, the verse clearly leave vengence to the Lord. I take that on a personal level, that I should not resort to retaliation.

I would say that's a valid interpretation of that passage. As such, isn't the death penalty a human form of retaliation?

Taking a verse as your own is applying it in your daily life. Making Scripture personal.

There's several that I try to apply to my life, and none of them are particularly easy. Where I struggle, much of the time, is extending compassion and respect to those who do not extend it to me. This often does not refer to specific individuals, but more to groups whom I do not have a particular affinity for these days.

My particularly high standards for integrity has made me particularly disgruntled with religion, as most people here know. Seeing what seems like a faceless ignorant mob trying to ruin any of my potential for love or happiness angers me intensely. But I also know that these groups thrive on my intense hatred of them. They WANT me to despise them. But what course do I take beyond that, if my conscience cannot remotely support them? Well, that's why life is a continuing challenge. I don't claim to have all the answers.

The New Testament brought a new convenant for salvation. It did not correct the Old Testament as Paul clearly notes in Romans 5 -7. The command of an eye for an eye (established as a limitation on punishment - the human tendancy was to want more) still stands. The is forgiveness and there are consequences. Both still exist.

Let's look at this from another angle. Back to Jesus' crucifixion, tradition has blamed the Jews for Jesus' death. However, as I've said, the Jews did not physically kill Jesus. Jesus' actual nailing to the cross and piercing of His side was done solely by the Romans--or should I say, the state. But I find it curious that the state is not blamed for Jesus' death. Pontius Pilate could have told the Jews to fuck off, and he could have sent an army of Roman soldiers to mow all of them down. It wouldn't have been the first or last time the Romans did just that.

Regardless, the blame, traditionally, was put on the Jews--or should I say, the people. I cannot ever think of a morally permissable reason ever to execute someone in this modern era. And if we do execute someone, are we ready to take responsibility for their deaths? Can we merely absolve our moral culpability for state-sponsored murder when 3/4 of America supports and actively encourages it? When you stand before God, could you look God in the eyes and justify your support for the execution of one of your fellow man, no matter how guilty this person probably was?

At the end of the day, I have to live with myself, and I can, at least, say that I never did anything to encourage the death penalty. And there was one time I was confronted with advice over an abortion. It was a friend of a friend of a friend kind of thing, so my opinion meant absolutely nothing. However, I never once gave my blessing and advised against it. Needless to say, however, I am fortunate enough to never have to deal with this issue personally.

As to the prior post, do you agree with Hiphop's assessment that a death penalty is permissible for "tyrants"?

Why grant martyrdom to these tyrants by killing them? I often prefer the fate granted to Rudolf Hess, Hitler's deputy. He was given a life sentence, and spent the last 21 years of his life sentence completely alone, left to degenerate into madness until the ripe old age of 93. Execution would have been the easy way out for him. The fact that most Nazis either mostly committed suicide or were imprisoned is why, I believe, why groups sympathetic to the Nazi cause are fringe groups. This is in stark contrast to the 1930s when much of America was in open and blatant admiration for Hitler.

Knowing that Saddam Hussein is going to be imminently found guilty and executed (no one honestly believes this trial is going to come to any other conclusion), there should be concern that Saddam will be revered as a "martyr."

And with "Tookie" here, how many would even know his name if he had been sentenced to life in prison without parole? He would have been just another nameless prisoner left to rot. And now, even in death, he joins an illustrious list of famous executed prisoners that will never be forgotten. There will be that inevitable postmodern film that somehow inserts him into the plot, and then "Tookie" will become legendary. Again, if he had been left to rot in prison, no one would even know his name.

Melon

AliEnvy said:
So an opinion to support the death penalty based purely on the notion of vengence isn't a valid viewpoint?

No. For many reasons. But vengence is just riding an emotion, opinions with law can't be based purely on emotion.

Axver said:

That is one of the most revolting things I have ever read on this forum.

Taking gladness in the death of another is low.

Revolting you say? Keeping that piece of shit alive for so long was revolting.

What about the four victims he shot at point blank range- was that revolting? Fuck him...they should have made it more painful.

AliEnvy said:
lol ok...I don't want to steer the thread off topic, so BonoVoxSupastar, please go look up the definition of opinion.

I understand what an opinion is thank you.:|

But if you look back to my original it says;

Opinions are nothing without the ability to back those opinions up with facts, or reasoning and logic.

Everyone has an opinion and they are entitled to it, but it doesn't mean it's valid in a discussion about law.

Can we continue now?

nbcrusader said:

Why would we allow any form of punishment if there is a possibility of an error? Isn't that just as disturbing?

why is the death penalty acceptable in some parts of the us, but nowhere else in the developed world?

why does the us execute minors when the only other countries that still do that are Iran, Yemen, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Nigeria.

what does the death penalty say about our values? what do we share with the other countries that execute minors?

it seems to me that the burden of proof is on the death penalty itself -- for it to be legal, one must demonstrate how it is a superior form of punishment and therefore must be legal and utilized, not that an argument has to be made to make it illegal.

what are the rational, good-for-society benefits -- vengence does not seem applicable here, as it's entirely emotional and only for the good of the immediate members of a victim's family -- of the death penalty? why should it be legal, rather than why should it be made illegal?

elevateandy said:

Revolting you say? Keeping that piece of shit alive for so long was revolting.

What about the four victims he shot at point blank range- was that revolting? Fuck him...they should have made it more painful.

Wow your thinking is truly eleavted.

elevateandy said:

Sure his actions were revolting.

Please don't try to insinuate that disagreeing with the death penalty is somehow condoning the brutal actions of a murderer.

I am not insinuating anything?

He should have died for what he had done..and he should not have been kept alive for 20 years- they should have fried his ass after the trial.

Why give him life in prison at our expense? Why should he have food & shelter on us? It was probably a walk in the park for him.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I understand what an opinion is thank you.:|

But if you look back to my original it says;

Everyone has an opinion and they are entitled to it, but it doesn't mean it's valid in a discussion about law.

Can we continue now?

Actually what you said was:

"Opinions are nothing without the ability to back those opinions up with facts, or reasoning and logic."

The definition of opinion is: a personal belief or judgment that is not founded on proof or certainty.

elevateandy said:

Why give him life in prison at our expense? Why should he have food & shelter on us? It was probably a walk in the park for him.

It's actually more expensive, much more expensive to the state for a death row inmate to exhaust the appeals process than it costs to maintain a 20 year life sentence.

AliEnvy said:

Actually what you said was:

"Opinions are nothing without the ability to back those opinions up with facts, or reasoning and logic."

The definition of opinion is: a personal belief or judgment that is not founded on proof or certainty.

Context?! Have you looked at my comment giving the context of Justin and my conversation?

An opinion that something is right using facts or logic, is a valid opinion when discussing law.

An opinion that something is wrong using facts or logic, is a valid opinion when discussing law.

An opinion that something is wrong because you find it "icky" is not a valid opinion when discussing law.

Now can we quit the semantics or do we have to go on?

Irvine511 said:

what are the rational, good-for-society benefits -- vengence does not seem applicable here, as it's entirely emotional and only for the good of the immediate members of a victim's family -- of the death penalty? why should it be legal, rather than why should it be made illegal?

Hmmm, you can't really dismiss vengence since no other argument for the death penalty as a valid consequence holds up under scrutiny.

And from many posts here, seems vengence reaches far beyond the victims' families.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

It says thou shall not kill.

Love thy enemy.

Love thy neighbor as thyself.

Well, then i suppose that by endorsing this you are also getting rid of gay marriage.

The Bible is not the Constitution.

I don't see how we're still discussing this.

Murder is bad. What is the only way we can TRY to prevent murder? By coming up with a steep punishment for it. That is what the death penalty is for in California. If you murder someone in California you get the death penalty. I don't see how this is still open for discussion.

BrownEyedBoy said:

Well, then i suppose that by endorsing this you are also getting rid of gay marriage.

First of all he asked what the Bible said, not the Constitution.

My Bible says nothing about homosexuality.

But nice try.:|

By coming up with a steep punishment for it.

And that seems to be working great so far.

Funny thing is, you haven't discussed anything about the subject.

BrownEyedBoy said:

I'll agree with this. However, you can't ignore how conservatives have selectively used the Bible as an excuse to make homosexuals as unwanted and miserable as possible. But then when it comes to the death penalty, we're told that the Bible is not the Constitution.

I would prefer consistent secular arguments, for the record. I have outlined my opposition to the death penalty based on my own moral disapproval of it, granted. This is mainly because the death penalty is, at least, an example of public "morality" being used to kill someone. What bothers me about anti-gay campaigns is not the fact that people have personal moral opposition to homosexuality, but that they feel that their own personal moral opposition outweighs the civil rights and individual freedom to be homosexuals, according to the freedom of their own consciences.

Ironically, from a religious POV, abortion gives fetuses the fast track to heaven (since they are without sin) and the death penalty could send a unrepentant prisoner to hell, but, if given another 10-20 years to think about it, might have thought differently.

I guess that's why I see a distinction, but you would be correct. I think any legislative discussion for or against the death penalty and abortion should be on strictly secular grounds. The Bible is not the Constitution.

Melon

Brown eyed boy...Well I don't know that it's proven the death penalty does anything to bring down murder rates in the US...the opposite in a lot of cases for whatever reason.

I do agree that, as much as I think we ought to get rid of the death penalty, it is the current law in California and maybe the guy should've considered that before he savargely murdered four people. :shrug:

BrownEyedBoy said:

Murder is bad. What is the only way we can TRY to prevent murder? By coming up with a steep punishment for it. That is what the death penalty is for in California. If you murder someone in California you get the death penalty. I don't see how this is still open for discussion.

Ok, the pro-death penalty Christians are hiding at the moment so let's put God's rules aside for now.

Statistics consistently show that the death penalty is an ineffective deterrent. It's also more expensive to administer than life sentences, which is arguably also a steep punishment. Nevermind that the only ones who are actually executed simply couldn't afford a skilled defense team.

So other than pure, raw, vengence - what's the purpose of the death penalty?

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?scid=12&did=169

Murder rates in US, pretty shocking numbers in case anyone is curious

Canada's national rate is about 2.1/100,000, no death penalty

I can't think of anyone in the process of or planning a murder, stops, and thinks, hmmm, if I get caught, I might get the death penalty. It is the last thing on their minds, they are psycho, that's why they kill people. They aren't thinking rationally anyway otherwise murder would be the last thing they would consider.

AliEnvy said:

Ok, the pro-death penalty Christians are hiding at the moment so let's put God's rules aside for now.

Statistics consistently show that the death penalty is an ineffective deterrent. It's also more expensive to administer than life sentences, which is arguably also a steep punishment. Nevermind that the only ones who are actually executed simply couldn't afford a skilled defense team.

So other than pure, raw, vengence - what's the purpose of the death penalty?

What could be steeper than a death penalty though?

If criminals aren't afraid of dying before commiting a crime then what'll stop them?

If any of my friends or family were murdered, I would want the death penalty to be sentenced for the convicted murderer. I believe that the murderer should have his life taken away for taking away the lives of others. However, a murderer is separate from the judge and executioner in that he unjustly and cruely kills the innocent. Whereas the judge and executioner legally and with prior reason (i.e. the murderer's crime) sentence the convict to be put to death. Simply if one kills the innocent, he has forfeited his right to life.

The death penalty is the ultimate denial of liberty, a secular argument could be made that on that basis it is a justifiable punishment in cases of murder, one could also envision cases where people could be rendered brain dead or more malicious yet a state of conciousness without being able to control their bodies.

Back
Top Bottom