Stanley Tookie Williams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You said "WE DON'T HAVE THE ABILITY TO CARRY OUT SUCH ABSOLUTES!!!" oh yes we do. If your not into Vengance and someone cuts infront of you while driving. Dont honk your horn or flip him or her off in vengance. Say Peace Brother or Sister.

Your Welcome Trevster2k. The reason I did not respond quicker to your post is because I was busy at work. Even his own Brother told the court how he said he killed these people.

trevster2k said:
But how do we know for certain that he was guilty for the crimes he was convicted of? We don't. The courts in 1981 found him guilty based on testimony from accomplices who benefited from their testimony. But if that's good enough for you, so be it.

I think that is a disservice to the district attorney's office. I'm not sure we should trash their integrity so quickly. For 24 years, Tookie and his attorneys had the opportunity to challenge the factual basis for the case. Multiple courts found all such challenges lacking.

BonoVox, where do you live?? state ? Country?? Come over here to Hunter's point and start teaching the kids here why being in a gang is wrong.

AliEnvy said:

So killing guity people is not murder?

Yes, but I was making a point. Supporters consider the death penalty to be absolute justice for a guilty man and not an act of violence or murder. I am saying that by killing an innocent life, the state is no better than the murderers they claim deserve death.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Prison sentence can be stopped at any time. Death can't.:|

Deprived liberty cannot be returned. I don't care if it is for five minutes - if we allow a government to take that away, we do so for a greater good.

Justin24 said:
You said "WE DON'T HAVE THE ABILITY TO CARRY OUT SUCH ABSOLUTES!!!" oh yes we do. If your not into Vengance and someone cuts infront of you while driving. Dont honk your horn or flip him or her off in vengance. Say Peace Brother or Sister.

:lol: What the hell does that have to do with absolutes?

The fact that death is final is an absolute.

In order to carry out this absolute, we should have absolutes to guarantee the guilt. We don't, we can't because we're HUMAN.

Fine executing an Innocent person is Wrong (I am sure your happy to hear that huh) But not executing a guilty person (with all the DNA test done and other proof) is wrong.

That means the person who killed you child, husband, wife, friend, is in jail for the rest of his life, being fed, clothed, gets to work out, have visits. The only visit that you can take to see the victim is the cemetary.

nbcrusader said:

But to the extent we are allowing a government to "play god" and deny someone their liberty, I believe it is fully reasonable to keep capital punishment as the punishment of last resort. Yes, the government should be able to carry out such "absolutes". After all, Tookie and other death row inmates have carried out absolutes on their own.

I repeat...thou shalt not kill.

For those who are tring to lead a Christian life, what part of this isn't clear?

I'm not trying to be confrontational or pick on you in particular, nbcrusader, but I'd honestly like someone to explain to me how they reconcile supporting the death penalty with their Christian ethos.

Fine if you want to put them away for the rest of their lives. Why dont you and all the anti-death penalty supporters pay for there lodging in jail. Why should I have to.

Justin24 said:
Fine executing an Innocent person is Wrong (I am sure your happy to hear that huh) But not executing a guilty person (with all the DNA test done and other proof) is wrong.

That means the person who killed you child, husband, wife, friend, is in jail for the rest of his life, being fed, clothed, gets to work out, have visits. The only visit that you can take to see the victim is the cemetary.

That's vengeance, not justice.

nbcrusader said:

I think that is a disservice to the district attorney's office. I'm not sure we should trash their integrity so quickly. For 24 years, Tookie and his attorneys had the opportunity to challenge the factual basis for the case. Multiple courts found all such challenges lacking.

No court wants its verdicts overturned. There are tons of politics behind the scenes in these issues especially with explosive cases like this. Just like as a lawyer when you catch a witness in a lie on the stand, you discredit their whole testimony to a jury, when we find out that the courts are convicting and sentencing people to death in error, we must question the veracity of the system and its' right to enact such a permanent punishment.

Justin24 said:
BonoVox, where do you live?? state ? Country?? Come over here to Hunter's point and start teaching the kids here why being in a gang is wrong.

I live in Chicago.

Of course being in a violent gang is wrong.

WTF are you talking about? Do you think anyone here is saying these crimes he's convicted of are right?

Seriously you're really falling off the debate here.

I am not falling off the debate. He chose to create a monster (the crips) he chose to go and robb and kill those people. He should know the consiquenses of his actions. You cant be that stupid to know you might be executed.

nbcrusader said:

Deprived liberty cannot be returned.

No it can't. That's why I said a sentence can stop at any time, not be returned.

But if I was innocent even if I was only allowed 5 minutes of freedom, it would be the sweetest 5 minutes and would sure beat dying in prison.

MsGiggles said:

does it matter to you either way what I think?

um... nope. not one bit. as I'm sure you don't care what anyone else thinks either.

Justin24 said:
I am not falling off the debate. He chose to create a monster (the crips) he chose to go and robb and kill those people. He should know the consiquenses of his actions. You cant be that stupid to know you might be executed.

I'm not arguing the crimes here. Yes people commit crimes, we don't know under what circumstances, but that is beside the point.

Everyone agrees the crimes are wrong.

The point is allow God to make the FINAL judgement, for we are not all knowing and therefore can't make these FINAL decisions of justice.

trevster2k said:

Yes, but I was making a point. Supporters consider the death penalty to be absolute justice for a guilty man and not an act of violence or murder. I am saying that by killing an innocent life, the state is no better than the murderers they claim deserve death.

Gotcha...I'd still take it a step further though and say that the state killing the guilty ones is committing murder, whatever they choose to call it to make it sound justified and however *civilized* they think lethal injections are. It's all semantics.

Does it say anywhere in the Bible, Koran, Torah, that executing a convicted person can not be executed.

Justin24 said:
What made you a person who is Anti-Death Penalty?

Common sense.

I know there's no guarantee. If we allow one innocent person killed because we're blinded by our vengence, then we are no better than the murderers and rapists.

The prophets who are speaking to god said this, this is a suggestion. except for the Thou shalt not kill. But The murderers dont follow this.

Justin24 said:
The prophets who are speaking to god said this, this is a suggestion.

Well this is a whole religious debate that can have 20 pages of debate itself.

But no those paticular lines are from the commandments, which are believed to be from God.

And Jesus himself.

Back
Top Bottom