Stanley Tookie Williams - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2005, 11:14 AM   #151
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MsGiggles

does it matter to you either way what I think?
Wow. Nice response.

I thought this was a discussion forum. I was just asking what you thought of the two options. Sorry.

Old 12-13-2005, 11:15 AM   #152
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:25 AM
I can't believe people out there support that a criminal who commited 4 murderes should still have a right to live. Hitler murdered 6 Million Jews and millions of prisoners, Gypsies, and homosexuals, Stalin murdered more people than Hitler, and Clinton killed thousands and did Bush. So if they were arresested do you think they desereve the death penalty.

Melon you said we played god on who should live and who should die. Well isn't that the same thing as abortion. The child has no say if he/she wants to live.

Old 12-13-2005, 11:26 AM   #153
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
I can't believe people out there support that a criminal who commited 4 murderes should still have a right to live. Hitler murdered 6 Million Jews and millions of prisoners, Gypsies, and homosexuals, Stalin murdered more people than Hitler, and Clinton killed thousands and did Bush. So if they were arresested do you think they desereve the death penalty.
Wow you are really convoluting the discussion now.

I can't believe that people can't leave life and death up to God. I can't believe people really think this makes the world any safer. I can't believe that people don't realize there is human error and that alone makes capital punishment wrong. We are human and should be humble enough to realize we aren't capable of making absolutes like this.

This is what I can't believe.

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24

Melon you said we played god on who should live and who should die. Well isn't that the same thing as abortion. The child has no say if he/she wants to live.
Melon may have said it as well(not sure), but so did I. But bringing in abortion opens whole new doors and should be kept in entirely different thread, or you'll see this thread spin out of control.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:26 AM   #154
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by VintagePunk

Question - are you more opposed to the cost of feeding and housing a prisoner for life than you are to placing them on death row, and incurring the even greater costs of seeing them through the appellate process before they are finally executed?
That is a problem with our justice system. The appellate process takes far too long and covers years of inaction. More often than not, the various appeals filed have no basis in fact.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:31 AM   #155
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

That is a problem with our justice system. The appellate process takes far too long and covers years of inaction. More often than not, the various appeals filed have no basis in fact.
Do you think we would have as many appeals bogging up the system if only life sentences were used?
Old 12-13-2005, 11:35 AM   #156
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

But nonetheless, it exists in its current form, and in doing so negates any financial argument in favour of the death penalty.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:44 AM   #157
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Do you think we would have as many appeals bogging up the system if only life sentences were used?
Perhaps not, but I'd hate to think dishonest lawyers would have that great an impact on society.

But, I'm kidding myself. Dishonest lawyers place a large financial drain on society.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:51 AM   #158
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Perhaps not, but I'd hate to think dishonest lawyers would have that great an impact on society.

But, I'm kidding myself. Dishonest lawyers place a large financial drain on society.
So wait, all appeals in capital punishment cases are dishonest?
Old 12-13-2005, 11:55 AM   #159
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:25 PM
I don't have much sympathy for this guy Tookie considering what he did and the gang he spawned
Old 12-13-2005, 11:56 AM   #160
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

So wait, all appeals in capital punishment cases are dishonest?
I didn't say that. But take a look at the appeals filed over the last few days in Tookie's case. Interesting how "new evidence" is found in the last 72 hours.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:58 AM   #161
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
I don't have much sympathy for this guy Tookie considering what he did and the gang he spawned
I understand that completely, but I also don't believe that people who didn't think he should get the death penalty necessarily had sympathy for him either. Maybe some did, I don't know. I think the two can be mutually exclusive.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:02 PM   #162
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I didn't say that. But take a look at the appeals filed over the last few days in Tookie's case. Interesting how "new evidence" is found in the last 72 hours.
Well yes. But one can also say there's something to be said for desperation. There are those that believe so strongly that the act of capital punishment is wrong that they will make it their lives work. But the same can be said for many issues, and the same can be said for lawyers all around.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:02 PM   #163
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

I understand that completely, but I also don't believe that people who didn't think he should get the death penalty necessarily had sympathy for him either. Maybe some did, I don't know. I think the two can be mutually exclusive.
Absolutely.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:25 PM   #164
Blue Crack Addict

Europeans outraged at Schwarzenegger

Quote:
In Schwarzenegger's hometown of Graz, local Greens said they would file a petition to remove his name from the southern city's sports stadium. A Christian political group went even further, suggesting it be renamed the "Stanley Tookie Williams Stadium."
What ever achievements Schwarzenegger led to the naming of the sports stadium are now gone because he did not block a death penalty handed down 20 years ago?

Isn't this just another form of vengence?
Old 12-13-2005, 12:36 PM   #165
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:25 PM
Quote:
Europeans outraged at Schwarzenegger
That article seems to quote only left wing opinion in Europe, surely they should also have asked conservative political parties for their view.