Stanley Tookie Williams - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-13-2005, 11:14 AM   #151
Blue Crack Distributor
 
VintagePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 55,732
Local Time: 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MsGiggles


does it matter to you either way what I think?
Wow. Nice response.

I thought this was a discussion forum. I was just asking what you thought of the two options. Sorry.
__________________

__________________
VintagePunk is offline  
Old 12-13-2005, 11:15 AM   #152
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Justin24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Mateo
Posts: 6,716
Local Time: 08:25 AM
I can't believe people out there support that a criminal who commited 4 murderes should still have a right to live. Hitler murdered 6 Million Jews and millions of prisoners, Gypsies, and homosexuals, Stalin murdered more people than Hitler, and Clinton killed thousands and did Bush. So if they were arresested do you think they desereve the death penalty.

Melon you said we played god on who should live and who should die. Well isn't that the same thing as abortion. The child has no say if he/she wants to live.
__________________

__________________
Justin24 is offline  
Old 12-13-2005, 11:26 AM   #153
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,698
Local Time: 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
I can't believe people out there support that a criminal who commited 4 murderes should still have a right to live. Hitler murdered 6 Million Jews and millions of prisoners, Gypsies, and homosexuals, Stalin murdered more people than Hitler, and Clinton killed thousands and did Bush. So if they were arresested do you think they desereve the death penalty.
Wow you are really convoluting the discussion now.

I can't believe that people can't leave life and death up to God. I can't believe people really think this makes the world any safer. I can't believe that people don't realize there is human error and that alone makes capital punishment wrong. We are human and should be humble enough to realize we aren't capable of making absolutes like this.

This is what I can't believe.


Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24

Melon you said we played god on who should live and who should die. Well isn't that the same thing as abortion. The child has no say if he/she wants to live.
Melon may have said it as well(not sure), but so did I. But bringing in abortion opens whole new doors and should be kept in entirely different thread, or you'll see this thread spin out of control.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 12-13-2005, 11:26 AM   #154
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by VintagePunk


Question - are you more opposed to the cost of feeding and housing a prisoner for life than you are to placing them on death row, and incurring the even greater costs of seeing them through the appellate process before they are finally executed?
That is a problem with our justice system. The appellate process takes far too long and covers years of inaction. More often than not, the various appeals filed have no basis in fact.
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 12-13-2005, 11:31 AM   #155
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,698
Local Time: 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader


That is a problem with our justice system. The appellate process takes far too long and covers years of inaction. More often than not, the various appeals filed have no basis in fact.
Do you think we would have as many appeals bogging up the system if only life sentences were used?
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 12-13-2005, 11:35 AM   #156
Blue Crack Distributor
 
VintagePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 55,732
Local Time: 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader


That is a problem with our justice system. The appellate process takes far too long and covers years of inaction. More often than not, the various appeals filed have no basis in fact.
But nonetheless, it exists in its current form, and in doing so negates any financial argument in favour of the death penalty.
__________________
VintagePunk is offline  
Old 12-13-2005, 11:44 AM   #157
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Do you think we would have as many appeals bogging up the system if only life sentences were used?
Perhaps not, but I'd hate to think dishonest lawyers would have that great an impact on society.

But, I'm kidding myself. Dishonest lawyers place a large financial drain on society.
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 12-13-2005, 11:51 AM   #158
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,698
Local Time: 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader


Perhaps not, but I'd hate to think dishonest lawyers would have that great an impact on society.

But, I'm kidding myself. Dishonest lawyers place a large financial drain on society.
So wait, all appeals in capital punishment cases are dishonest?
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 12-13-2005, 11:55 AM   #159
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 04:25 PM
I don't have much sympathy for this guy Tookie considering what he did and the gang he spawned
__________________
financeguy is offline  
Old 12-13-2005, 11:56 AM   #160
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


So wait, all appeals in capital punishment cases are dishonest?
I didn't say that. But take a look at the appeals filed over the last few days in Tookie's case. Interesting how "new evidence" is found in the last 72 hours.
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 12-13-2005, 11:58 AM   #161
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,999
Local Time: 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
I don't have much sympathy for this guy Tookie considering what he did and the gang he spawned
I understand that completely, but I also don't believe that people who didn't think he should get the death penalty necessarily had sympathy for him either. Maybe some did, I don't know. I think the two can be mutually exclusive.
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 12-13-2005, 12:02 PM   #162
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,698
Local Time: 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader


I didn't say that. But take a look at the appeals filed over the last few days in Tookie's case. Interesting how "new evidence" is found in the last 72 hours.
Well yes. But one can also say there's something to be said for desperation. There are those that believe so strongly that the act of capital punishment is wrong that they will make it their lives work. But the same can be said for many issues, and the same can be said for lawyers all around.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 12-13-2005, 12:02 PM   #163
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,698
Local Time: 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen


I understand that completely, but I also don't believe that people who didn't think he should get the death penalty necessarily had sympathy for him either. Maybe some did, I don't know. I think the two can be mutually exclusive.
Absolutely.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 12-13-2005, 12:25 PM   #164
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 07:25 AM
Europeans outraged at Schwarzenegger

Quote:
In Schwarzenegger's hometown of Graz, local Greens said they would file a petition to remove his name from the southern city's sports stadium. A Christian political group went even further, suggesting it be renamed the "Stanley Tookie Williams Stadium."
What ever achievements Schwarzenegger led to the naming of the sports stadium are now gone because he did not block a death penalty handed down 20 years ago?

Isn't this just another form of vengence?
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 12-13-2005, 12:36 PM   #165
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Europeans outraged at Schwarzenegger
That article seems to quote only left wing opinion in Europe, surely they should also have asked conservative political parties for their view.
__________________

__________________
financeguy is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com