Stalin in Iraq?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scarletwine

New Yorker
http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article6498.htm

Iraqi PM - Allawi shot prisoners in cold blood: witnesses:
07/16/04 "Sydney Morning Herald'
Video - ABC News Australia. Broadcast 07/15/04
Iyad Allawi, the new Prime Minister of Iraq, pulled a pistol and executed as many as six suspected insurgents at a Baghdad police station, just days before Washington handed control of the country to his interim government, according to two people who allege they witnessed the killings.

They say the prisoners - handcuffed and blindfolded - were lined up against a wall in a courtyard adjacent to the maximum-security cell block in which they were held at the Al-Amariyah security centre, in the city's south-western suburbs.

They say Dr Allawi told onlookers the victims had each killed as many as 50 Iraqis and they "deserved worse than death".

The Prime Minister's office has denied the entirety of the witness accounts in a written statement to the Herald, saying Dr Allawi had never visited the centre and he did not carry a gun.

But the informants told the Herald that Dr Allawi shot each young man in the head as about a dozen Iraqi policemen and four Americans from the Prime Minister's personal security team watched in stunned silence.

Iraq's Interior Minister, Falah al-Naqib, is said to have looked on and congratulated him when the job was done. Mr al-Naqib's office has issued a verbal denial.

The names of three of the alleged victims have been obtained by the Herald.

One of the witnesses claimed that before killing the prisoners Dr Allawi had told those around him that he wanted to send a clear message to the police on how to deal with insurgents.

"The prisoners were against the wall and we were standing in the courtyard when the Interior Minister said that he would like to kill them all on the spot. Allawi said that they deserved worse than death - but then he pulled the pistol from his belt and started shooting them."

A former CIA officer, Vincent Cannisatraro, recently told The New Yorker: "If you're asking me if Allawi has blood on his hands from his days in London, the answer is yes, he does. He was a paid Mukhabarat [intelligence] agent for the Iraqis, and he was involved in dirty stuff."

The two witnesses were independently and separately found by the Herald. Neither approached the newspaper. They were interviewed on different days in a private home in Baghdad, without being told the other had spoken. A condition of the co-operation of each man was that no personal information would be published.

Both interviews lasted more than 90 minutes and were conducted through an interpreter, with another journalist present for one of the meetings. The witnesses were not paid for the interviews.

DISGUSTING

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss (sorry Pete).

Interestingly, of the few American media outlets that have reported this, one is Rush Limbaugh and another is the Washington Times. :huh:

Actually, the Washinton Times story is strangely dispassionate. Rush Limbaugh's website is linking to the the Sydney Morning Herald article with the line, "Iraqi Handling Own Affairs; Allawi Executes Evildoers." :huh:
Liberal blogs like Eschaton and Daily Kos are pushing the story, so hopefully we can get an echo chamber effect here and it'll get reported in the mainstream American media.

I don't buy this with the information at hand. I saw the journo interviewed on lateline and from where im sitting it doesn't seem credible. There are two unnamed sources for the story however this same tale has been an urban legend in Iraq for a few weeks now, you can see it if you check out some of the Iraqi blogs. If there is more evidence that shows the Allawi was definitely at the right place at the time then possibly but as it stands there is simply not enough corroberating evidence

If I were him, I would spread the rumor myself. It might cut down on the number of people thinking about killing him.

Back
Top Bottom