Springsteen: "We've Been Mislead"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you think the press is leading us away from a fair and objective reading of this election?

It's gotten very complicated, and I think it's blurred the truth. Whether you like the Michael Moore film or not, a big part of its value was that it showed how sanitized the war that we received on television at night is. The fact that the administration refused to allow photographs of the flag-draped coffins of returning dead, that the president hasn't shown up at a single military funeral for the young people who gave their lives for his policies, is disgraceful. You have the Swift-boat guys who have been pretty much discredited, but there is an atmosphere that is created by so much willing media exposure that it imparts them credibility.

:up:

Just in Klaus' quoted material, Springsteen portrays Michael Moore as the provider of truth and dismisses the SBVT as "discredited". He says Bush's failure to attend funerals is "disgraceful," yet lacks understanding on established precedent for Presidents.

Stick to singing Bruce, because political analysis seems limited to reading headlines.

All he said was that Michael Moore showed a side of the war that we don't usually see--which is true enough, regardless of whether you think the rest of Moore's work is bunk or not. He didn't say he wrote the Gospels or anything.

So should artists who support Bush just stick to singing too?

Oh well, I think he's a thoughtful, introspective, and humble man who to me has always represented truth in many forms.

paxetaurora said:
All he said was that Michael Moore showed a side of the war that we don't usually see--which is true enough, regardless of whether you think the rest of Moore's work is bunk or not. He didn't say he wrote the Gospels or anything.

I have friends doing their second tour's of duty in Iraq and they actually got a bootleg copy of Michael Moore's film and they can honestly say that Michael Moore is NOT showing what is happening in Iraq, "writes at the intelectual level of a second grader", and creates and presents things which are simply false.

Bruce Springsteen is a liberal following the classic script laid out before him by Democrats and Michael Moore's.

MissMoo said:
And the Swift Boat Vets have been discredited.

Really? How? I honestly think someone would need some proof of that to make a statement such as this. Bruce and yourself must possess some information that has evaded the press and the rest of the nation. Because we all know the NYTs have been looking high and low for this info you possess. Bruce has as much right to speak his mind as the rest of us. I don't have to agree--but intellegent conversation backed up by facts would do us all some good.

Are people now arguing that Moore faked footage, that the carnage and destruction Moore showed didn't even exist?

I agree that Moore is unbalanced and not the world's most responsible documentarian, but I don't think you can argue that his footage from Iraq isn't real. The issue is how he chose to present it--and you can agree with that or not.

Bruce doesn't follow ANYONE'S script-no offense intended, but if you knew more about him you might come to the same conclusion

He is definitely his own man so to speak- that's just my humble opinion

martha said:
If you believe that, then you haven't been paying attention to his music for the last twenty-odd years.

And if that's true, then you have missed quite a lot, which is too bad.

:up:

His album Nebraska is :bow:

sd

I think its fair to say the swifties have not been discredited at all. People on the left say that so they can feel better about their own situation. They know they are losing this battle and are likely to lose the election and are grabbing at anything with little more than a month left. Fact: The swifited turned a lot of non-decided voters off of Kerry and towards Bush and that just pisses those people off. These swifites were front page news for some time and to hear that they've been discredited, is bunk. It's sad that you'd say that actually. As someone here wrote before, let's see more than a one-line response on that. And please give me a paper from the middle or one from the right actually saying they are discredited if this is such common knowledge. If it is, people should be ready to say it without a problem i.e. Liberal rags saying Rather is an idiot for doing what he did.

odowdpa said:
Fact: The swifited turned a lot of non-decided voters off of Kerry and towards Bush and that just pisses those people off.

Because the idiot undecideds who decided because of that deserve the president they vote for. I'd have a lot more respect for Bush voters if they actually vote for him because they approve of the way he's handled his job. If voters decide to vote against Kerry becuase of what they think he did 30 years ago, fuck 'em. I feel the same way about Kerry voters who decide against Bush for something he did or didn't do 30 years ago. What voters need to consider is what's happening NOW, not before many of them were even born. :rolleyes:

That's fine and dandy, and I respect that, I actually feel exactly the same way as you do, but this is an election and you have to do what you have to do in order to get elected. And they are doing it. But the thing that really kills me here is that the Democrats have played 87% of all the 527 ads. The Republicans get some ads out there from one group and it creates a whole big thing. The republicans have only had 13% of all 527 ads- major difference there.

Like I said, I agree with you, but things are not be done that way.

odowdpa said:
you have to do what you have to do in order to get elected. And they are doing it.

Like I said, I agree with you, but things are not be done that way.

1. Whoring is always wrong.

2. They're done that way because we allow it. If we refuse to be swayed by those kinds of things, then they will stop.

odowdpa said:
I think its fair to say the swifties have not been discredited at all. People on the left say that so they can feel better about their own situation. They know they are losing this battle and are likely to lose the election and are grabbing at anything with little more than a month left. Fact: The swifited turned a lot of non-decided voters off of Kerry and towards Bush and that just pisses those people off. These swifites were front page news for some time and to hear that they've been discredited, is bunk. It's sad that you'd say that actually. As someone here wrote before, let's see more than a one-line response on that. And please give me a paper from the middle or one from the right actually saying they are discredited if this is such common knowledge. If it is, people should be ready to say it without a problem i.e. Liberal rags saying Rather is an idiot for doing what he did.

I obviously disagree with what you've said here, but I am curious to know which newspapers you consider to be in the "middle."

Okay, I'm computer illiterate so I'll trying pasting this and see if it works. "How well all of these men knew John Kerry is questionable, and discrepancies between how some of them described Kerry thirty-five years ago and how they describe him today suggest that their opinions are largely based upon political differences rather than objective assessments of Kerry's military record. For example, Rear Admiral Roy Hoffman is quoted above, yet the Los Angeles Times reported:

. . . Hoffman and Kerry had few direct dealings in Vietnam. A Los Angeles Times examination of Navy archives found that Hoffman praised Kerry's performance in cabled messages after several river skirmishes. "
Last updated: 30 July 2004

This is from Snopes.com in their political section.

Snopes is great for finding out about issues, because I think they are pretty fairly balanced. My brother is a Republican and he recommends the site. The article is much longer so I'm just putting in their concluding statement. The basic idea is that only one of the SBV actually served with Kerry, and the rest of his crew is very supportive of his service. I also have to add that although it's a joke news show Jon Stewart is very clear when he says the SBV are liars.

... yet he still remains silent about the corruption of the mcgreevy administration in his beloved jersey...

ohhhh yea... jim's a democrat. i remember.

i explained myself in another thread... i believe it was called "bruce springsteen; political hypocrite" or somethin' like that. the level of corruption in the jersey state house is enormous... and that's before we even get to the fact that mcgreevy kept an unqualified person in the state's homeland security position, paying him a yearly salary of 110,000 dollars, tax payer dollars, just because he thought he was cute...

yet bruce remains silent on that issue. bruce has always been consistant... yes. he ALWAYS speaks out when it concerns issues in dirty jerz... yet he hasn't said a word about this one. very interesting, at least to me.

Last edited:
So this governor thing is IT?? That's all you've got?

Anything else?
Poverty?
War?
Racial injustice?
Joblessness?
Homelessness?
Hunger?

It's the governor thing? HOW is Springsteen a hypocrite here? Has he ever critcized anyone else for keeping a boyfriend on the payroll, and then remained strangely silent here? Has he ever played a concert to support this McGreevey character?

'Cause if that's all you've got, then you ain't got that much. Then you really haven't been listening to Springsteen's music long enough or closely enough.

And, as I said, that's too bad.

Back
Top Bottom