SPLIT--> California's Proposition 8 on Same-Sex Marriage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
let's go through the various ways in which life in Massachusetts has been made immeasurably more complex since 2003.

because it hasn't.

this is a very, very simple issue.

I am glad that the will of the people was upheld on such a difficult issue, and yes, I'm glad to see traditional marriage upheld, as I think it's important for both families and society, but what Irvine raised brings me no satisfaction either.

Why don't heterosexual people take responsibility for their actions and their relationships and their families and children instead of banning gay marriage?

Aside from that, I am still waiting for one anti-gay marriage person to set out, in some detail, how it is that societies in which gay marriage is legal have fundamentally changed for the worse. Funniest of all is that every one of those societies has a lower divorce rate than the great old U S of A.

I am glad that the will of the people was upheld on such a difficult issue

So true. The will of the people is all that matters.
No matter what.
No matter whose rights are trampled.
No matter who gets to sit at the back of the bus.
No matter who doesn't get to vote.
No matter who doesn't get to own property.
No matter who is only 3/5 of a person.

The will of the people must be obeyed. No matter what the "ramifications" for some.

No matter that I can't seem to understand the complexity of the issue.

You're sad, eh? :hug:

As sad as the families being torn part by the "will of the people"?

As sad as the families being torn part by the "will of the people"?

my co-worker's sister is now no longer married.

just like that.

ultimately, some of the blame here lies on LGBT leaders and their inability to rapidly and properly respond to the rather swift and shocking influence of the Morman Church and the Knights of Columbus. they successfully reframed the issue, and were able to eek out a victory due to running a superior campaign.

so you're saying that society here isn't crumbling? is that what you're saying?????

i will be terrified to return to CT for thanksgiving.

who can know what's happened in that state since marriage became equal?

dogs and cats living together?

Because the issue is far more complicated than you might like it to be. And just because you don't see it as so, doesn't make it not so.

By the way, I'm saddened because I can see both sides of this issue. I know this situation is complicated, and that there are ramifications on both sides. I am glad that the will of the people was upheld on such a difficult issue, and yes, I'm glad to see traditional marriage upheld, as I think it's important for both families and society (and I'm also glad to see democratic principles upheld), but yes, for some this has ramifications, and that brings me no joy.

Tyranny of the majority won out.

James Madison would be shaking his head.

I actually feel a lot better today.

I'd been blaming myself and this guy for a messy failure of a relationship for months now but now I know it's not our fault, it's cuz there's Adam and Steve living down the street, married in gayness.

I know that in Canada life has been irreversibly changed for the worse since gay marriage was legalized. I, for one, will now marry a man* since it's legal to do so. Just like that! Who needs women anyway?

Teh gayz are ruining society!!!

* I am, of course, only kidding about marrying a man. But the premise of the post still holds true: that legalizing gay marriage is not detrimental to society. AT ALL. The sky hasn't fallen in Canada— nor will it ever— as a result of affording homosexuals the same rights as heterosexuals.

How would it be damaging to society if gay marriage were to remain legal?

This question has been asked time and time again of Prop 8 supporters Nathan and INDY, though. And it's been the same answer every time.

I'm serious, though. I want someone to rationally explain to me how allowing gays to marry will damage society.

Well so you find yourself seeing somebody that you kind of have a hunch you shouldn't be with anyway, and then this goes on for a while, you know, and you have an exhilarating time together 20% of the time, but then the other 80% one or both of you are desperately running in the opposite direction because you realize you don't want to be Ross and Rachel and so then it ends spectacularly except it really doesn't quite ever end so that it's like a dozen paper cuts blending into one gigantic oozing wound.

This is because my gay best male friend can marry his boyfriend in this country.

I just can't comprehend how someone could justify this in a pluralistic society where religious beliefs are not supposed to infringe on anyone's freedoms, when it is supposed to be a self-evident truth that all men (and women) are created equal.

I just can't comprehend how someone could justify this in a pluralistic society where religious beliefs are not supposed to infringe on anyone's freedoms, when it is supposed to be a self-evident truth that all men (and women) are created equal.

Again, your responses are ones you've heard already: that this isn't a religious issue and that there are ways to be against gay marriage without it being about religion. That this isn't a "right." That civil unions are just as good.

Personally I've yet to find one person whose opposition to gay marriage wasn't founded on religious beliefs. I know I've heard arguments that omit that part of the equation, but it's basically the elephant in the room whenever they attempt that.

I'm serious, though. I want someone to rationally explain to me how allowing gays to marry will damage society.

There's nothing rational about it, and nobody once said that people ever had to act rationally. The sheer fact is that, globally, we're not as "advanced" as we think we are, and "The End of History" is laughably false.

Guess I can take down my cyber yard sign now.

By voting "yes" on Proposition 8 the citizens of California were actually saying "no."

No to a radical redefinition of marriage.
No to judicial activism.
And no to the "Proposition hate" bullying of the Angry Left. :applaud:

And "no" to basic civil rights. Congrats. 16,000 stripped of marriages.

In the words of Bill Hicks, "Sleep tight."

INDY, I hope that you'll be clapping in a few years when this all goes down the way it should have long ago.

Guess I can take down my cyber yard sign now.

By voting "yes" on Proposition 8 the citizens of California were actually saying "no."

No to a radical redefinition of marriage.
No to judicial activism.
And no to the "Proposition hate" bullying of the Angry Left. :applaud:

And "yes" to bigotry.

Nothing I can say about this can express my disgust with the decision on Prop 8, and the glee some people are displaying about it around here.

I just don't know how I would react if one morning I woke up and someone told me "oh, we nullified your marriage because we don't agree with it". Actually, I do know how I would react, and it wouldn't be pretty...

While I would have been pissed about this regardless, remembering that we got married on the same day as someone around here whose marriage is no longer (or will soon be) invalid made things even more real.

No one else's marriage affects my marriage and I would have assumed that would be the same for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom