SPLIT--> California's Proposition 8 on Same-Sex Marriage - Page 52 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-05-2008, 10:21 PM   #766
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 11:50 AM
I do not like the result, it is disappointing, but the whole thing is just a big blasted distraction, a nice little invented controversy for the sheeple.

It's a nice little controversy for the liberals to beat themselves up over, and the religious conservatives to congratulate themselves on fulfilling the words of the Bible, or whatever.

In practical terms, I am not convinced that it means a heck of a lot.

California is still a relatively gay-friendly, liberal state. California did not suddenly change overnight from being a liberal state to some kind of homophobic, American Taliban headquarters, so let's get real here.

I am not convinced that Arnie is going to order his troops in to confiscate the marriage certificates of all the gay couples that got married, let's get real here for a second.

ALWAYS LOOK WHERE THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO LOOK - in this case, most likely, what they don't want you to look at is California's looming bankruptcy.
__________________

__________________
financeguy is offline  
Old 11-05-2008, 10:23 PM   #767
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,290
Local Time: 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
Canada<USA.
Yeah, it's awful here what with our equality, free healthcare and the fact we haven't gone bankrupt like you guys. Tough living these days.
__________________

__________________
anitram is offline  
Old 11-05-2008, 10:23 PM   #768
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
This was at issue in Canada as well when the bigots spoke up before they were shut down.

Essentially, what would happen to existing marriages? Well, under existing legislation, spouse was defined as somebody of the opposite sex. When the courts ruled this to be unconstitutional, they ordered the province to amend all legislation in order to change the definition of spouse. This is a massive undertaking, as you can imagine, because it literally affects everything.......
There is an indespensible amount of money for liberal causes here in the States.

Fear not, the bigots will figure it out.

<>
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 11-05-2008, 10:25 PM   #769
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,335
Local Time: 02:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Guess I can take down my cyber yard sign now.

By voting "yes" on Proposition 8 the citizens of California were actually saying "no."

No to a radical redefinition of marriage.
No to judicial activism.
And no to the "Proposition hate" bullying of the Angry Left.
And Yes to second-class citizenship for a group of law-abiding, tax-paying citizens.

And Yes to actually taking away a right that was in existence.

I don't know how you can clap and face yourself.

I don't know how you sleep knowing that you advocate the removal of rights for your fellow citizens.

I think I'll write you off.
__________________
martha is offline  
Old 11-05-2008, 10:25 PM   #770
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
I do not like the result, it is disappointing, but the whole thing is just a big blasted distraction, a nice little invented controversy for the sheeple.

It's a nice little controversy for the liberals to beat themselves up over, and the religious conservatives to congratulate themselves on fulfilling the words of the Bible, or whatever.

In practical terms, I am not convinced that it means a heck of a lot.

California is still a relatively gay-friendly, liberal state. California did not suddenly change overnight from being a liberal state to some kind of homophobic, American Taliban headquarters, so let's get real here.

I am not convinced that Arnie is going to order his troops in to confiscate the marriage certificates of all the gay couples that got married, let's get real here for a second.

ALWAYS LOOK WHERE THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO LOOK - in this case, most likely, what they don't want you to look at is California's looming bankruptcy.
What do you think is going to happen? It seems like the certificates being confiscated is exactly what's going to go on here at the moment.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 11-05-2008, 10:26 PM   #771
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,290
Local Time: 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
There is an indespensible amount of money for liberal causes here in the States.

Fear not, the bigots will figure it out.

<>
I think it's fair to say you seem to have no understanding of the legal system.
__________________
anitram is offline  
Old 11-05-2008, 10:26 PM   #772
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 05:50 AM
Ultimately, it's not about the gays for people like INDY and Diamond, based on their statements. Just look at what they're saying.

They just wanted to win over the Left and the liberals. At the expense of civil rights? So be it.

They're clapping for beating the left.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 11-05-2008, 10:26 PM   #773
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,665
Local Time: 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Yeah, it's awful here what with our equality, free healthcare and the fact we haven't gone bankrupt like you guys. Tough living these days.
It is, in fact. I don't know how I get out of bed everyday.
__________________

BoMac is offline  
Old 11-05-2008, 10:28 PM   #774
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim
 
UberBeaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: the most serious...douch hammer ever
Posts: 20,318
Local Time: 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
I am not convinced that Arnie is going to order his troops in to confiscate the marriage certificates of all the gay couples that got married, let's get real here for a second.

ALWAYS LOOK WHERE THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO LOOK - in this case, most likely, what they don't want you to look at is California's looming bankruptcy.
I think the plan is this:

Hold on to those certificates for a little while -they're rare items so they'll become collectors items. When the price is nice and high sell them on ebay. Use that money to pay off Cali's debt. BAM. Everyone's happy....except the gays that aren't married anymore...but hey - they're all bigots anyway, so no loss there.
__________________
UberBeaver is offline  
Old 11-05-2008, 10:29 PM   #775
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,335
Local Time: 02:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
I don't think that Gay couples who are esposed now would be stripped of those spousal privileges.
Why not? Their marriage are no longer legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
I can't see the Straight Gestapo coming in and taking a gay spouse off of a mortgage, or deleting a gay spouse from a will etc.
Your church is capable of quite a lot. Don't write them off yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
I'm sure that the State of Calif will come up w a way to resolve Mayor Newsom's high handedness which caused all of this mess.
And if they don't?
__________________
martha is offline  
Old 11-05-2008, 10:29 PM   #776
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I think it's fair to say you seem to have no understanding of the legal system.

We're much more advanced than our neighbors in the North.

Aside from a few cute moose ice hockey and jr. arena "football" you have nothing on the US of A.

Nada.

<>
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 11-05-2008, 10:30 PM   #777
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,335
Local Time: 02:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
They won't be revoked; PM when they do-I will be first to put a stop to it.
Nobody's buying your false nobility here.
__________________
martha is offline  
Old 11-05-2008, 10:31 PM   #778
BAW
The Flower
 
BAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: The OC....!!!!
Posts: 11,094
Local Time: 02:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
They won't be revoked; PM when they do-I will be first to put a stop to it.

<>
What makes you so sure? This will involve years of legal challenges, but yes, the 16,000 same sex marriages performed in CA since June could be retroactively invalidated.
__________________
BAW is offline  
Old 11-05-2008, 10:32 PM   #779
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,290
Local Time: 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
We're much more advanced than our neighbors in the North.

Aside from a few cute moose ice hockey and jr. arena "football" you have nothing on the US of A.
I want to quote this for posterity, not that I think you have an adequate level of shame to be embarrassed.
__________________
anitram is offline  
Old 11-05-2008, 10:32 PM   #780
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Why not? Their marriage are no longer legal.

Your church is capable of quite a lot. Don't write them off yet.



And if they don't?
I will be first on the scene to right the Right, ok?

At least we're clear on Mayor Newsom.

<>
__________________

__________________
diamond is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com