Spending by the EU on AIDS in Africa - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2003, 09:18 AM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 05:22 PM
Spending by the EU on AIDS in Africa

I can't believe the EU is only willing to put up a billion dollars when George 'Satan' Bush is talking about putting up 15 billion dollars. What gives Europe (France and Germany!)?

Old 07-17-2003, 10:06 AM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 06:22 PM
one big heck load of money & support to other causes/ poor countries
(without -so obviously- trying to string money and demands that benefit them together)

that is my "guess"

Old 07-17-2003, 10:38 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:22 PM
considering that they give 3 times to foreign aid as we do, I imagine their resources are already out there.

Old 07-17-2003, 12:43 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Just wait for the elections here in Europe,...beautifull promises will apearing here also,....
Old 07-17-2003, 02:40 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Spending by the EU on AIDS in Africa

Quote:
Originally posted by wolfwill23
I can't believe the EU is only willing to put up a billion dollars when George 'Satan' Bush is talking about putting up 15 billion dollars. What gives Europe (France and Germany!)?
Europe and the European Union are two different things. Every country of the EU is in Europe, but not every European country is in the EU.
Old 07-17-2003, 03:35 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Re: Spending by the EU on AIDS in Africa

Quote:

Just wait and see,...

Bush in Africa: Compassionate Protectionism

On the public health front, President Bush has received credit for pledging $15 billion over five years to help treat and prevent AIDS in Africa and the Caribbean. But there are doubts about how much of this money is going to materialize, and when. One year ago the Administration promised $500 million for prevention of HIV transmission from mothers to newborn children, but no money has yet been appropriated.

http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=16384

More than a year ago :
New Bush AIDS Plan Outrages Activists

President George W. Bush dined with top pharmaceutical company executives at the ritzy Mayflower Hotel in downtown Washington D.C. Wednesday night, while activists protested his newly announced $500 million AIDS initiative outside.

http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=13421
Old 07-17-2003, 08:05 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

I think that the economic situation between the EU and the US are probably different. Asking for $15 billion from the US is pocket change (considering we have no problem accumulating a $400 billion deficit in one year), while $15 billion from the EU is a lot, considering the weaker economies they have. I think the EU is more of an emerging economy, rather than an existing one.

Melon
Old 07-17-2003, 11:50 PM   #8
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
I think that the economic situation between the EU and the US are probably different. Asking for $15 billion from the US is pocket change (considering we have no problem accumulating a $400 billion deficit in one year), while $15 billion from the EU is a lot, considering the weaker economies they have. I think the EU is more of an emerging economy, rather than an existing one.

Melon
I am not disputing your claim that EU economies are emerging. However, I would like to see a percentage of aid from the US vs. the EU. Is the US economy really that much stronger than 15 of the most 'developed' European nations?
Old 07-18-2003, 01:44 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

I am not disputing your claim that EU economies are emerging. However, I would like to see a percentage of aid from the US vs. the EU. Is the US economy really that much stronger than 15 of the most 'developed' European nations?
I can only say that the Dutch goverment is spending 0.7 % of the national bruto product ( I do not know if that is a good translation ) at economic help to the third world. ( the EU has a rule that it should be a minimum of 0.4 % )
Old 07-18-2003, 02:11 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

It is all progaganda,...

Aids cash goes to US bio-defence

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3057397.stm
Old 07-18-2003, 02:18 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Will US Aids cash make a difference?

While the new law allows for up to $15 billion over the five year period, it does not bind the administration to this amount - the administration could trim the programme in future years if it wished.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2943572.stm
Old 07-18-2003, 07:50 AM   #12
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Rono
Will US Aids cash make a difference?

While the new law allows for up to $15 billion over the five year period, it does not bind the administration to this amount - the administration could trim the programme in future years if it wished.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2943572.stm
While what you state is true, the BBC article is spin, spin, spin. Their arguement is that the 15bil. won't solve the problem, so why even bother? What?! EVERY dollar can help with such a crisis.

I question the BBC's reporting. The news organization is obviously left leaning and it seems like it is in the BBC's interest in reporting on anything that presents Americans (particulary Bush) in a negative light, as it sells papers these days.

I find it disturbing that even when Bush is doing something like pledging money for AIDS in Africa (which will undoubtly save lives) organizations like the BBC can still print nothing but negative spin about the president.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:07 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

I question the BBC's reporting. The news organization is obviously left leaning and it seems like it is in the BBC's interest in reporting on anything that presents Americans (particulary Bush) in a negative light, as it sells papers these days.
Perhaps you would prefer a fair, reliable, unbiased and credible news service with years of experience to draw upon and a stellar reputation throughout the world? Fox News?

Old 07-18-2003, 02:00 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Actually the BBC is obliged to be impartial as its funded by the British government. I'm not claiming it always succeeds in achieving impartiality, but it is certainly not a "left-leaning" news source.

Also, the BBC doesn't "sell papers" - it's tv, radio and internet based and the few paper publications it has are not daily newspapers but rather monthly magazines and are generally non-political.
Old 07-18-2003, 03:34 PM   #15
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4

Perhaps you would prefer a fair, reliable, unbiased and credible news service with years of experience to draw upon and a stellar reputation throughout the world? Fox News?
This does not help me believe that the BBC's reporting is unbiased.