Spanking - should it be legal or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macfistowannabe

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I'm not kidding. Let's have a serious discussion.

In such countries as Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Croatia, Cyprus, Latvia, Italy, Germany, Austria, and Israel, it is illegal for anyone to spank a child.

Where do you stand, and why?

U2democrat said:
I was spanked many a time as a child and I come out unscarred as a result. I don't have a problem with simple spanking but some parents could take it too far.
A fair way to put it. Yet, some anti-spanking folks would consider spanking a form of child abuse, while others consider it a form of discipline.

I love it when I am spanked.....I am a bad boy..... a very bad boy.....

I think if it's legal it becomes hard to draw the line between it and real child abuse. So from a legal standpoint, it's probably one of those things that's best regulated to the extreme - that is, banned.

That said, I think my sister could use a whack every so often... :shh:

I agree some parents may take spanking too far, but some kids deserve it (I certainly did at times when I was a kid). I wonder how the parents in those countries disclipine their children otherwise.

Last edited:
saltwaterkiss26 said:
I think if it's legal it becomes hard to draw the line between it and real child abuse. So from a legal standpoint, it's probably one of those things that's best regulated to the extreme - that is, banned.
I don't think it's that big of a deal. Most parents would be responsible enough not to go to extremes. If there are scars on the body or other signs of abuse, it would certainly be appalling.

LOL, Dread.

Anywho, I myself was never spanked as a kid, nor do I know if I'd personally ever do that with my kid, but I see nothing wrong with a parent deciding to give a light swat on the behind (heh, especially considering some of the horror stories my mom's shared from all the department stores she's worked in...there's some seriously obnoxious kids out there)-lets them know that you're serious. I do think that if you're going to do that, that should be the last resort, though-tell the kid quietly but firmly to stop misbehaving, then if they haven't stopped, warn them, then if they still haven't stopped, a light swat on the behind.

As for the potential child abuse argument...I think it becomes child abuse when you're not just swatting your child on the behind, but you're also hitting them on other parts of the body, too. I do think overall it should be pretty obvious to tell whether a kid's just getting a quick spanking or whether a kid's actually being abused, but I suppose there are times when there could be a fine line, too.

Angela

I've seen too many parents spank out of anger rather than discipline.

What I can't stand is when an adult spanks their child excessively in public, it just makes you wonder what they do in private.

i think there are far more effective forms of discipline. it's all about communicating effectively.

i agree, many parents spank out frustration and anger. granted, kids can be frustrating, but it comes down to teaching your child what behaviour is appropriate and inappropriate in different situations. spanking, even when done lightly, is a knee-jerk reaction instills a level of fear in the child: 'behave or else', instead of 'this is how we behave in this situation'.

i may be taking an extremist view on this issue, but i can't help but see it as an adult weilding power over their child simply because they can. it's not appropriate to go around hitting other people when they don't behave the way you want them to, so why is it okay to do it to a child?

dandy said:
i think there are far more effective forms of discipline. it's all about communicating effectively.

i agree, many parents spank out frustration and anger. granted, kids can be frustrating, but it comes down to teaching your child what behaviour is appropriate and inappropriate in different situations. spanking, even when done lightly, is a knee-jerk reaction instills a level of fear in the child: 'behave or else', instead of 'this is how we behave in this situation'.

i may be taking an extremist view on this issue, but i can't help but see it as an adult weilding power over their child simply because they can. it's not appropriate to go around hitting other people when they don't behave the way you want them to, so why is it okay to do it to a child?
What are some alternatives?

Although I find light spanking to be harmless, I am interested in your points.

I think spanking shouldn't ever be the first and preferred method of disciplining a child, but as a last resort with warnings beforehand. Many kids know perfectly well what behaviour is appropriate or not in this or that situation but that doesn't necessarily stop them from being horrible brats.

My parents never punished me or my siblings physically when we were little, but when one time my brother stole $400 from my Mum's purse he copped some serious spanking from Dad.

If spanking involves me & Bono--I am for it. (Just kidding--seriously--I think spanking & hitting just leads to violence--I found the best way to discipline was to take privileges away--my daughter learned pretty fast to be good. I never had any real problems out of her. My mother made me sit in a corner in the kitchen for an hour and that hour seemed like a day--but basically I was a pretty good kid. Talking & being involved with your children really helps too!)

I don't think there is anything wrong with spanking a child as long as it is not too harsh or too often. I was spanked as a child and I turned out fine.

Saracene said:
I think spanking shouldn't ever be the first and preferred method of disciplining a child, but as a last resort with warnings beforehand. Many kids know perfectly well what behaviour is appropriate or not in this or that situation but that doesn't necessarily stop them from being horrible brats.

My parents never punished me or my siblings physically when we were little, but when one time my brother stole $400 from my Mum's purse he copped some serious spanking from Dad.

:up:
I agree with that. My dad always disciplined me by telling me I did something wrong and why it was wrong. If I did it again he would spank me.
Now, he was a big wimp and couldnt stand spanking his little girl but he did it anway. Just not very hard :wink:
I think the feeling of having let my dad down was more effective than the spanking, but I remember knowing that he didnt want to spank me. That made me feel really bad that I had done something to disappoint him to the point that he needed to "take me to the laundry room"
My stepmom had NO problem hitting me hard and that did nothing positive for me whatsoever.
I would do nothing and find the wooden spoon connecting with my arse with major velocity

I agree as well.

I have cousins who were raised with "self-expression" as a top priority, and their parents would never spank them under any circumstances. Oddly enough, it was a conservative household, yet they grew up like brats. To this day, they seem to have no respect for anyone who asks a simple task to be done.

I think physical discipline should be reserved for times when a child in physical danger--e.g. smacking a child's hand away from a hot stove. Other than that, I'm opposed to spanking, but not to discipline in general; I babysat for too many kids who never had to do anything they didn't want to do, and trying to get those kids to pick up a toy or go to bed at a decent hour was :crack:.

That said, though, there definitely has to be a balance between discipline and letting a kid do some exploration and having fun. I think my parents had a pretty good mixof that; there were things I was not allowed to do under any circumstances, but I also remember being let loose pretty frequently. I think it helped me grow up into a person who is creative and independent-thinking, but also responsible.

Anyway, though, I don't plan on spanking, I was not spanked, and parents who are frequent spankers scare me.

I would hold spanking as one of those "ultimate punishments".

I am not opposed to spanking, but I have not reached the point where I've needed to spank my children.

Clear, direct expectations handle most discipline situations.

I think needing to resort to physical violence says more about the parents than it does about the child. I was spanked plenty as a child and it never did anything but instill rage and stubbornness in me. If I ever become a parent I will try to find alternatives methods of discipline.

Back
Top Bottom