Spanking - should it be legal or not? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2005, 04:31 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:56 AM
It will help remind them to pull up their pants

Old 04-04-2005, 05:28 PM   #47
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
Modern kids are horrible little shits, and should all be spanked once in a while. Bring back the cane, I say.

They've had it coming for years.

Ant.
Very true

Old 04-04-2005, 07:47 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:56 AM

I think kids need some discipline, and if a parent spanks a kid as a last resort in the heirarchy of discipline, it is not necessarily bad. I definitely don't see it as failure on the part of the parent. Keep in mind, I am talking about harmless "swats" as some of you termed them. Regarding the "mention" of woode spoons, belts, etc., I don't think those are so bad as long as they are only "mentioned" (as some elusive double-secret threat). And what I received as a kid was never "bare-bottomed" fortunately. All of you I see here who got some forms of physical punishment as kids seem to have turned out alright.

I will say that I think a risky, negligent trend I see more and more these days is young parents letting their kids do and get away with "whatever" because "kids will be kids." That is only going to be bad for the kids as they mature.

~U2Alabama
Old 04-04-2005, 08:20 PM   #49
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama
I will say that I think a risky, negligent trend I see more and more these days is young parents letting their kids do and get away with "whatever" because "kids will be kids." That is only going to be bad for the kids as they mature.
Heh...I'd certainly never do that.

Melon
Old 04-04-2005, 08:53 PM   #50
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
I think kids need some discipline, and if a parent spanks a kid as a last resort in the heirarchy of discipline, it is not necessarily bad. I definitely don't see it as failure on the part of the parent. Keep in mind, I am talking about harmless "swats" as some of you termed them. Regarding the "mention" of woode spoons, belts, etc., I don't think those are so bad as long as they are only "mentioned" (as some elusive double-secret threat). And what I received as a kid was never "bare-bottomed" fortunately. All of you I see here who got some forms of physical punishment as kids seem to have turned out alright.

~U2Alabama
I think this post sums up my opinion of spanking fairly well.

Over the past 10-15 years or so, I've seen a real change in the parent-child relationship, wherein kids have more power and parents are less willing to use discipline. A lot of this has to do with schools and the media better educating kids about child abuse and innapropriate touching (a VERY good thing, don't get me wrong here) but some of the unintended effects of this have made some parents afraid to use discipline.

A good example of this happened when my then 5 year old son received a well deserved swat on the behind and the first thing he did was pick up the phone and start to dial 911 to report me for child abuse

I see a lot of disrespectful kids these days, doing things that I wouldn't have dreamed of doing simply because I knew I would suffer the wrath of mom, which caused just enough fear to make me stop and think twice. Kids today have the upper hand and they know it.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:23 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:56 PM
I would never spank a child. Personally, I am totally opposed to such things but have to admit that some mothers told me that practical life is a little different.. anyway, I would never even touch my child, and also would not allow anyone else to.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:59 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:56 AM
Quote:
Yeah, and many people also seem to take it for granted that you will find their offspring's behaviour as charming and delightful as they do. Which is probably not surprising considering how many people are prepared to coo over other people's children no matter what they do.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:16 PM   #53
Neon Zebra

Quote:
Originally posted by pax
That said, though, there definitely has to be a balance between discipline and letting a kid do some exploration and having fun. I think my parents had a pretty good mixof that; there were things I was not allowed to do under any circumstances, but I also remember being let loose pretty frequently. I think it helped me grow up into a person who is creative and independent-thinking, but also responsible.
pax, you will make a great parent.

we need more who think like you.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:59 AM   #54
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
It will help remind them to pull up their pants

ah, but if their pants are already too low, it makes it that much easier to give them a swift spanking ... low riders are simply *begging* for a smacked bottom.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:20 AM   #55
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by bonosgirl84

pax, you will make a great parent.

we need more who think like you.
Thanks for saying so.

I'm looking forward to being a mom someday.

Join Amnesty.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:12 AM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:56 PM
it brings to nothing, it's just a corporal violence act, words are much better, we have the reason, this is the only thing we must use..................
children have an infinite comprehension place in their brains, what sometimes matters in adults who spank them
Old 04-05-2005, 10:20 AM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife
I think this post sums up my opinion of spanking fairly well.

Over the past 10-15 years or so, I've seen a real change in the parent-child relationship, wherein kids have more power and parents are less willing to use discipline. A lot of this has to do with schools and the media better educating kids about child abuse and innapropriate touching (a VERY good thing, don't get me wrong here) but some of the unintended effects of this have made some parents afraid to use discipline.

A good example of this happened when my then 5 year old son received a well deserved swat on the behind and the first thing he did was pick up the phone and start to dial 911 to report me for child abuse

I see a lot of disrespectful kids these days, doing things that I wouldn't have dreamed of doing simply because I knew I would suffer the wrath of mom, which caused just enough fear to make me stop and think twice. Kids today have the upper hand and they know it.
I can remember pissing my mom off so much when I threatened to report her for "child abuse" when we had a dispute. While it is a very good thing for kids to learn about it, I suppose I may be a little cynical to divulge it like this, but every rose has its thorn.

I think sometimes even a good thing can have it's paradox, so to speak.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:42 AM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:56 PM
I got the wooden spoon when I acted up and it sure as hell taught me manners, and my Dad got the belt and the cane and he turned out fine. I know quite a few impulsive individuals who have total disregard for others who were spoiled as kids and always got what they wanted. Children can be spoken too but that alone does not deter them from repeating.

If a child is struck with intent to cause harm or without cause though, that is a problem.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:43 AM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

ah, but if their pants are already too low, it makes it that much easier to give them a swift spanking ... low riders are simply *begging* for a smacked bottom.
Or a wedgie - or is that illegal too?
Old 04-06-2005, 09:02 AM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Or a wedgie - or is that illegal too?
you said wedgie