Spain's National Basketball Team Takes "Slant Eye" Team Photo - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2008, 04:39 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroni View Post
Yes and BTW I don´t know how to dance salsa
, the people who would ask me this come from a region where fishing was a common occupation in the past. So I learned to respond with the question " Are you a good fisherman?" They would say "why do you think that?" I would say you are from this place, aren't you? Therefore like you, I am making assumptions about you based on one thing. They understood right away how foolish they sounded.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:50 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:22 PM

Old 08-13-2008, 04:54 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:52 PM
Trev, I always thought you were a ninja.

There goes that fantasy.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:57 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Trev, I always thought you were a ninja.

There goes that fantasy.

a ninja ... wearing Maple Leaf red! his throwing stars are Maple Leafs! his sword is a hockey stick!
Old 08-13-2008, 05:12 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:22 PM
Old 08-13-2008, 06:49 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Something nice? The wrong people?

Gasol, Calderon question fuss over photo

By Martin Rogers, Yahoo! Sports 10 hours, 12 minutes agp

BEIJING – Pau Gasol sat courtside with his feet dunked in a bucket of ice as the irony of ironies unfolded around him.

The Los Angeles Lakers center had just finished training Wednesday at the Beijing Language and Culture University, where students from around the world gather to learn Mandarin and promote international understanding.

Four days into the most global of events, and surrounded by buildings which foster social harmony across all colors and creeds, Gasol had to apologize for the actions of a Spanish men’s basketball team that made Asian “slant eyes” at the camera for a sponsor’s advertisement and thinks it’s OK.

Around him, his teammates and coaches reacted to the criticism homing in on them from around the world with a mixture of embarrassment, confusion and some mild defiance. The ad in question was for a Spanish courier company, Seur, but the Spanish team also counts the athletic shoe and apparel company owned by Li Ning – the former Chinese Olympian who lit the torch at this summer’s Games – among its sponsors.

Jose Calderon of the Toronto Raptors has spent the last three years in North America, but he didn’t get it. He could still not understand how an action with such deep racial undertones had generated so much attention. In his mind a non-story became a story only when it was blown out of proportion by journalists with a mind for mischief.

“We did it because we thought it was going to be something nice, something with no problem,” Calderon told Yahoo! Sports. “But somebody wants to talk about it. It is too much of a big deal with you guys (the media) and everybody talking about that.”

Head coach Reneses didn’t get it, either. Reneses comes from an older generation of Spanish society, one which has little time for the politically correct niceties of the modern world.

“If I go to play with a taller team and I put here (raising up on the tips of his toes) it is not an offense,” Reneses said. “I can’t understand anything more.”

But Gasol got it. He didn’t get it when the Spanish courier company persuaded the players to pose with their index fingers stretching their eyes to a thin slit at a team media day, but he sure as heck gets it now.

“Some of us didn’t feel comfortable doing it just because to me it was a little clownish for our part to be doing that,” Gasol said. “But the sponsors insisted and insisted. I think it is just a bad idea I guess to do that, but it was never intended to be offensive or racist against anybody.

“I didn’t find it very funny. I didn’t find it offensive, either. I guess some guys didn’t mind. To me I don’t want to be that way, I guess, to be doing that stuff.

“If anybody feels offended by it we totally apologize for it. We never meant anything offensive by it.”

The advertisement has regularly run as a full page in Spanish sports daily Marca soon after the picture was taken on July 1. However, it only came to prominence after it reached the attention of the Guardian newspaper in London this week.

Spanish sports is no stranger to racial controversy.

Luis Aragones, the head coach of Spain’s men’s soccer team, was overheard telling his player Jose Antonio Reyes to “tell that black (expletive) you are better than him” at a training session in 2004. Aragones was referring to Thierry Henry, a black player from France who was then a teammate of Reyes at English Premier League club Arsenal.

Aragones also struggled to understand what all the fuss was about, even as anti-racism groups seethed and soccer’s power brokers held their heads.

At a Formula One motor racing testing session this year, a group of Spanish fans believed to be supporting home driver Fernando Alonso were pictured with their faces covered with black paint. They wore T-shirts with the slogan “Hamilton’s Family,” a reference to Alonso’s world title rival Lewis Hamilton, a black Englishman.

Moreover, at an exhibition match in Madrid in 2004, several black members of the England men’s soccer team were subjected to monkey chants and whistles whenever they touched the ball.

Back in Spain, there has been no criticism of the advertisement, just support for a group of players who shoulders the hopes of a nation. Members of the Spanish media who spoke to Yahoo! Sports on Wednesday could not grasp why the issue had garnered so much publicity.

And while Gasol, in many ways the public face of Spain’s basketball team, sensed the photo was not a great idea, he refused to back down from his assertion that no harm was intended.

“If you put it in the wrong context and put it with the wrong people or a different kind of people, you could take it that way,” he said. “But not with our group and not with our people. I would find that a wrong read.”
Old 08-13-2008, 07:21 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:52 PM
I am thinking it is a mistake to apply the same cultural standards of a multi-cultural society like America to less multi-cultural societies such as some European countries, or, for that matter, some Asian countries. I am sure there are derogatory words used about Europeans in various Asian countries.

A few years ago I was a in bar with some Asian friends in Sydney, and one commented that I was the only gweilo ( Gweilo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )in the entire bar, and we all looked around and laughed, because it was quite true, especially as I have a pale complexion. Now, depending on context, the term 'gweilo' may or may not be an offensive term. In this context, of course, it was not intended as such neither did I take it as such.

It's all about context.

But, yes, these athletes should have known better.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:44 PM   #23
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
I am thinking it is a mistake to apply the same cultural standards of a multi-cultural society like America to less multi-cultural societies such as some European countries, or, for that matter, some Asian countries. I am sure there are derogatory words used about Europeans in various Asian countries.

A few years ago I was a in bar with some Asian friends in Sydney, and one commented that I was the only gweilo ( Gweilo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )in the entire bar, and we all looked around and laughed, because it was quite true, especially as I have a pale complexion. Now, depending on context, the term 'gweilo' may or may not be an offensive term. In this context, of course, it was not intended as such neither did I take it as such.

It's all about context.

But, yes, these athletes should have known better.
Well I agree when it comes to language. Words are often cultural, contextual, regional... But this wasn't a word, this was an action. This is directly pointing and laughing.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:57 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
Well I agree when it comes to language. Words are often cultural, contextual, regional... But this wasn't a word, this was an action. This is directly pointing and laughing.
Well yes, but then again it was an impersonal gesture rather than directly aimed at a particular individual so it is somewhat different to the situations described by Trevster2K where he was being personally insulted.

As I said, the athletes have behaved foolishly and unprofessionally, but it would be going too far to deduce that they're all a bunch of damnable racists- not that anyone is saying that, as such.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:06 AM   #25
Refugee

Local Time: 06:52 PM
As Finance Guy said, America is multi-cultural and what we may view as being racist or foolish. May not transcend to other countries. I don't know. But, thankfully, an apology was made.

As an American citizen. I think it was immature act and is seen by the majority of my fellow country men/women, as being hurtful.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:10 AM   #26
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevster2k View Post
, the people who would ask me this come from a region where fishing was a common occupation in the past. So I learned to respond with the question " Are you a good fisherman?" They would say "why do you think that?" I would say you are from this place, aren't you? Therefore like you, I am making assumptions about you based on one thing. They understood right away how foolish they sounded.
Good point! I live in the State of Maryland and I don't know how to ride a horse. Though, Maryland has many horse farms and we are know for our beautiful thoroughbreds.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:00 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:22 PM
They said the sponsor forced them, I think all this was a case of bad publicity,those persons knew exactly what was going to happen
Old 08-14-2008, 05:10 PM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
As I said, the athletes have behaved foolishly and unprofessionally, but it would be going too far to deduce that they're all a bunch of damnable racists- not that anyone is saying that, as such.

a wildly multicultural, african-american looking friend of mine spent a year studying in China. he was widely referred to as, "the black devil." he grew not to take offense to it.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:23 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
a wildly multicultural, african-american looking friend of mine spent a year studying in China. he was widely referred to as, "the black devil." he grew not to take offense to it.
And also, let's not forget that many places in the world don't have a history of racism or colonialism or anything that would necessarily predispose them to being racist. I think racism is taught, not inbred.

I never saw a black person in real life until I was 7 years old and then there was ONE family in the small town where I grew up, doing some kind of diplomatic work. I remember the little boy who was in the same year at school as me being seen as very exotic by us and I was very excited when he told me I could touch his hair. Now, I have since had many black friends, African, Canadian, Caribbean in origin and I would most certainly not be going around touching their scalps - that is something that you learn when a culture is no longer strange or foreign to you. But you know what, I also harbored no pre-conceived notions about black people whatsoever, nor did my parents ever say anything even borderline racist. Why would they? They had no historical exposure to a different race. I moved to Canada when I was 12, and over here I have the "pleasure" of being related to your classical racist uncle, who you know, has black friends, but that doesn't stop him from making comments. And I remember like it was yesterday, going to a BBQ at this uncle's house maybe about a month after we'd arrived, and he asked my Dad how his first week at work was. My dad had worked 60+ hours and so he replied "I worked like a black man" - which in our language/culture basically meant you worked like a slave (clearly the origin of the phrase), and was nothing negative at all, in fact it was a flattering phrase to describe a person who was particularly hard working. My uncle then replied with "oh, you have to stop saying that, those people don't work at all!"

Just goes to show you who the real racists often are.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:25 PM   #30
Refugee

You are absolutely correct. Racism is taught. Look at young children. They don't care about differences. They simply want to play together.

Tags
basketball, olympics